Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Looks like its Kencamet Daithiwk your turn in the barrel
    Best of luck guys! Kick ass! Big grin
    Dave
    "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
    --- Clarence DeMar
      Good luck David, Ken
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

King of Sparta

Good luck Monday, daithiwk. I take it Monday is a holiday in Ireland?
        It's our October Bank Holiday - basically a day off for everyone except 11,500 marathoners! I had a look at the photos from the last few SV marathons - scenery looks great, so hope you get decent weather. I think you're absolutely right about getting to half way and then starting to pick it up a bit. It looks like a gentle downhill all the way, so you should be flying by then.
        2008 Goals:
        - Sub 1:00 10 mile
        - Sub 3:00 marathon
          Good luck Ken and Daithiwk, and anyone else racing this weekend. Let us know how it goes.
          Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
          DoppleBock

I have been in a anti-taper mood again this week for next weekend marathon - Its a cruel experiment, but last week was 129, this week will be > 110 - I think I will do a light taper TH, FR, SA and see how it goes. I am looking forward to hearing some results from this weeknd + monday. No pressure guys, but we have a pretty good pass percentage going Big grin

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I'm training for Seoul sometime in March 2009 (they haven't finalized a date yet). I'm confident I should break 3 hours. I ran a 1:21 half leading up to Boston in April, but was sick that day and DNF'ed after going through the half in 1:31. I'd been hoping for about a 2:50-2:55. I ran another one two weeks later, but that was going to be about a 3:03-3:05 and then I hurt myself at 35k and had to walk it in for a 3:33. Considering that my first marathon was a 3:10 and that I had a really bad 2008 with the marathon, I'll be happy with anything that starts with a 2, but I'm hoping for a 2:50. I trained sporadically through the summer, but I'm getting back into serious training now. I ran a 38:30 10k three weeks ago after about 3 months of 20 mpw, which I'll take as a baseline.
              kcam

I have been in a anti-taper mood again this week for next weekend marathon - Its a cruel experiment, but last week was 129, this week will be > 110 - I think I will do a light taper TH, FR, SA and see how it goes. I am looking forward to hearing some results from this weeknd + monday. No pressure guys, but we have a pretty good pass percentage going Big grin
                Thanks alot DB. I'm already feeling the pressure of the high standard in this group! Seriously, thanks for the 'luck' and good thoughts. I think I'll need them as I am really marginal on this 3hour thing. No excuses, I'm feeling good, good weather - just gotta do it. Adeel, welcome. Looks like you just need to catch a good day to hit that 2:50, sub-3 seems a given. MTA: Dopple Bock, any way we could get you to start using the running log here? I would sure like to see what you're doing to get those 129 mile weeks. I find the public logs here at RA one of the best features as I can see what people similar to myself are doing in training - and learn from them.
                DoppleBock

No running log, but I post in the masters forum 40x40 weekly thread - Today was 22 with 5x1 mile @ 6:07 pace in the AM + 5 recovery miles in PM ... But it is all there in the masters forum.

No running log, but I post in the masters forum 40x40 weekly thread - Today was 22 with 5x1 mile @ 6:07 pace in the AM + 5 recovery miles in PM ... But it is all there in the masters forum.
                    Boo, D Bock...boo, hiss, boo! The log is so much better and you can back it up to a file on your computer too. You are able to see a much broader picture at a glance with race times and everything. We'll give you until Jan 1, 2009 to get set up Big grin.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Boo, D Bock...boo, hiss, boo!
                      Big grin Well, I raced today. A big Bowling Green, KY 10K classic that once drew top elites back in the early 80's when it was the Wendy's Classic. Breakout race for me. I've now met two of the equivalent qualifying (5k-10k) times listed in Jims chart on page one. pRED PRed by 1:02 with a 38:35!!! I even feel some was left out there due to windy conditions, hilly sections and being caught in no mans land for the last half. My longest race prior to the marathon will be next Saturday's 10 miler. I probably do not have enough training time left to get to where I need to be for sub-3 attempt on December 13th, but I'll attempt it anyway and learn how to better prepare next year. I need the experience anyway. This is only my second racing seaon, and I realize from the info you guys give that it will come with years, not weeks and months. MTA: Amy Barrow won the womens GM division in 40 and some change!!!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Nicely done Ricky. You're definitely going to run a marathon around 3 hours, the question is on which side of it.
                        kcam

OK, guys my race is DONE! Official finish time 2:59:08 and a 2nd in 45-49 age group. Have a mini race report in the log if you want to check it out. Props go to Jim24315. As you can see from my 2008 goals back in December I decided running 3:10 at this marathon was a stretch for me and set that as a goal. I ran this race last year in 3:14 so that would have been a good improvement but 2:59 blows it away! A lot of the credit for motviating me to train better than I ever have before goes to Jim. Good luck to David tomorrow. MTA - Jim actually came out and ran several miles at different parts of the race. I'm too fuzzy too remember which ones but thanks for that as well!
                            Awesome! Congratulations Ken! I'm very impressed, and inspired too.
                            DoppleBock

Ken - Great Mini report - Congrats The ability to crank out a 6:30 1st , back off and recover, then to run a wee to fast in the middle, but hold on a greta pace until the end is a testement to you fitness. When things get tougha nd you can still click off sub 7:00s you are fit! Recover well!

OK, guys my race is DONE! Official finish time 2:59:08 and a 2nd in 45-49 age group. Have a mini race report in the log if you want to check it out.
                                Awesome. Great job and a 2nd place AG as well. You also maintain a truly rather daunting record that this thread has going. John
                                Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.