Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

kcam

Got in a little running on my trip to Texas but brought back a little souvenir ... didn't notice this bad boy until today (three more runs on this shoe in this condition!). Just a quarter or so inch to the left and my marathon training might have been derailed. How easy it can happen. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us On the 3-hour goal - have a benchmark race coming up this Saturday - the Banana Chase 5K up in San Francisco. I'm hoping for under 19minutes. I think I have a shot.

Ham & Egger

Nice on the nail...it looks like one of those nails one would associate w/ the crucifix...at least w/ my Catholic childhood.
      www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com

Feeling the growl again

Got in a little running on my trip to Texas but brought back a little souvenir ... didn't notice this bad boy until today (three more runs on this shoe in this condition!). Just a quarter or so inch to the left and my marathon training might have been derailed. How easy it can happen. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us On the 3-hour goal - have a benchmark race coming up this Saturday - the Banana Chase 5K up in San Francisco. I'm hoping for under 19minutes. I think I have a shot.
        A friend of mine, after several attempts, qualified for the most recent Olympic Marathon Trials. Dream come true, right? Then less than a month before the race a piece of broken glass bottle punctured the bottom of his shoe, penetrating through the sole and deep into his arch. He toed the line in Central Park but was a DNF. SUCKS.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

OK. 5k benchmark race (Banana Chase 5K, San Fran) done this morning - not sure of official time but my watch read 18:55. Daniels predicts around 3:01 and McMillan predicts 3:04. I think I'll do better. Back to training and we'll see how the San Jose Rock and Roll 1/2 on 10/9 turns out. MTA: Official time 18:58, Daniels and McMillan will predict a little slower but CAMET still predicts 2:58!
            Recap for week endiing 9/14/08: Mon – 6 miles at 8:26 pace on grass loop Tue1 - 7 at 8:19 on grsss Tue 2 – 6 at 8:23 on same loop Wed – 10 miles including 10 x 400 at 91.5 avg with 200 jog between each Thu1 – 8 at 8:19 on the grass Thu2 – 6 at 8:23 on same loop Fri – 6 at 8:36 on grsss Sat – 7 more on same grass loop at 8:45 pace Sun – 9 miles total, including Banana Chase 5k in 19:00. TOTAL – 65 miles
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Jim I'll have a go! I have decided to go for the Belfast marathon in May 2009. My first ever! Sub 3.00 might be a ridiculus goal for a first timer but why not. I had a great year this year smashing my 10k goal of sub 40 so why not! I have just started a loose programme today which is initiallly aimed at building the mileage up to 50 per week. Any advice would be gratly appreciated.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Outee, You're on the list. My advice would be same as before; slow down on all but a couple days a week and run more miles. Good luck. Tusca; sorry to read about the knee. Hopefully you can shake it off real soon. You've ramped up pretty fast over these last couple months. Sometimes our aerobic system gets ahead of the muscles, bones, tendons, and we have to wait for them to catch up. You have a great work ethic, that's for sure.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Right on Hereford...

Recap for week endiing 9/14/08: Mon – 6 miles at 8:26 pace on grass loop Tue1 - 7 at 8:19 on grsss Tue 2 – 6 at 8:23 on same loop Wed – 10 miles including 10 x 400 at 91.5 avg with 200 jog between each Thu1 – 8 at 8:19 on the grass Thu2 – 6 at 8:23 on same loop Fri – 6 at 8:36 on grsss Sat – 7 more on same grass loop at 8:45 pace Sun – 9 miles total, including Banana Chase 5k in 19:00. TOTAL – 65 miles
                  Nice week, Jim! That's a great workout on Wednesday, and your 5k race times are rock solid these days. Here was my own week... Mon - off Tue - 6.4, including 5000 tempo (6:46 pace) Wed - 5.2 easy Thu - 6.3, including 5x400 at 5k-10k pace (around 1:32) Fri - 5.2 easy Sat - off Sun - .9 easy warmup, then CHICAGO HALF MARATHON IN 1:24:26...WOOT! Big grin TOTAL - 37.1 Race report here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/222f68be5dc04931ba5620237b519d79 This is my best ever race result, and my first that predicts a sub-3 marathon. Psyched is a word that inadequately describes how I feel right now. Big grin
                    Wow. Great race, great report. That's a tremendous leap, taking 5 minutes off your pr and finishing at a pace that's only just a touch slower than your 10k pr pace! John
                    Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                      Dakota; I just read your report and commented. That was BIG!
                      bleach

The fact that there may be a new marathon in Santa Barbara in December 2009 has been sufficient to nudge me over the edge. If the Santa Barbara International Marathon doesn't happen then I may do the California International Marathon in Sacramento instead (also in December 2009). John
                        Where did you hear about this? I'm interested Big grin
                          Where did you hear about this? I'm interested Big grin
                          MTA: All the info you need is at the website now. Date will be Sunday December 6 2009 http://santabarbarainternationalmarathon.com Mostly just rumor and snippets of information here and there. Keep an eye on the Santa Barbara Athletic Association site, http://sbrunning.org/, I think some of the info. was from there. Let's see what I've heard so far: There's a website - but there's nothing there but the logo, as above: http://santabarbarainternationalmarathon.com Definitely one to keep an eye on though. It's been in the planning stage for several years, by people who are well experienced with running and races in the area so it's not just some flash in the pan idea. The date I heard was December 2009 and I think I even saw a specific date somewhere but I can't remember that. The SBAA site mentioned some discussion of combining it with the already existing half marathon (currently at the start of November). I don't know whether this would entail moving the date of the 1/2 or the full. The route was mentioned as starting in Goleta and ending downtown. If you know the area then you may know that a number of races start in Goleta and use a bike path that heads towards Santa Barbara for a fast and flat initial 3+ miles. This could eventually take you to the top of the Mesa and then down to the waterfront, near the current start of the half marathon - which is a loop course along the waterfront. It's only about 10 miles from Goleta to downtown but this could easily be extended to 13 in a number of interesting ways - but I'd just be speculating. I think that's about all the info I have so far. John
                            Week ending 9/21/08 Mon1 – 7 miles 8:31 pace on grass loop Mon2 – 3 miles at 8:55 on grass Tue1 – 7 at 8:36 Tue2 – 4 at 8:34 both runs on grass Wed – 11 miles at 8:11 including 3 at tempo (6:48, 6:41, 6:36) followed by 10 x 30 sec hill reps, jog down after each one. Finish with couple slow miles with strides Thu – 6 miles on grass at 8:50 Fri – 8 on grass at 8:29 Sat – 7 on grass at 8:28 Sun – 20 miles, including half marathon in 1:27:13. This was supposed to be at marathon pace (or slower) but you can’t trust that %!#$! Ken Camet. First 6 went in 40:06, 2nd 6 in 39:48, with last mile in 6:40. I did my best to hang in there but Ken pulled away anyway (he would have waited for me but I encouraged him to go for it). I was actually very happy to be able to run this fast during a train through even though it was a hard pace for me. We did a 4-mile warm-up and another 3 to “cool” down. Total Miles - 73
                              Okay, Jim, the Santa Barbara Marathon appears to be definitely on for 2009 (see addition above) with a date of December 6th so I'm now a definite for the list - albeit the last entry. The start will be in Girsch park in Goleta, a massive 400m from my house. My aim is to get my half marathon time down to under 1:27 this year (two shots, one in 2 weeks, one in 6 weeks), then under 1:25 next year whilst building up the mileage and long runs to support the sub-3 attempt. This week: Sun - 16 miles (my fourth 16 mile run and the first one that felt easy) Mon - 8 easy Tue - 6 easy Wed -12: ( 6 at a moderate pace, 4 on the track at tempo (6:32-6:38), 2 easy cool down) Thu - 7 easy Fri - 9: (5 easy, 4 x 1mile on the track (6:20-6.40), 2 easy cool down). Sat - 7 easy TOTAL - 65 miles
                              kcam

My week: Mon - 7.6 (noon) easy Tue - 8.8 (noon) easy; 4.1 (evening) very easy Wed - 11.1 (noon) cruise intervals - 6X1mi @6:30 1/4m rest; 3.1 (evening) very easy Thur - 7.0 (noon) very easy; 5mile hard bike ride (evening) Fri - 8.8 (noon) easy Sat - 8.1 (AM) easy Sun - 20 (AM) 4mi easy warmup, 1/2 mar (1:26:02), 3 mile cooldown 79miles Good week. Last Sunday ran 5K race, hard Wednesday workout, and a fast (PR) 1/2 marathon this morning. Now for some easy running ...