Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

kcam

2nd good week in a row after a summer of slacking, drinking too much beer and vodka. 12 total runs - 4 quality runs and 8 easy or recovery runs M 15 with 5 @ LAT W 20 with 5 x 5 minutes @ CV at end F 18 with 5 x 2 miles @ LAT SU 20 progressive with last 4 at or above mp rest were fillers.
    All I can say is WOW! You don't even mention the 'fillers' which are my main staple (which must be why I ain't fast).
      I was pretty happy with this week that followed races (5k, half marathon) on 2 previous Sundays. Next Sunday, Oct 5, will be another half marathon (San Jose Rock ‘n Roll): Mon – 7 at 8:28 Tue – 7 at 8:27 Wed – 12 at 8:24 with 10 x 20 sec strides near the end. Thu – 7 at 8:24 Fri – 7 at 8:28 Sat – 20 progressive, starting at 8:02, finish at 6:44; overall avg 7:24 Sun – 8 at 8:25 Saturday was on rolling asphalt and everything else on the grass. Total Miles – 68
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      DoppleBock

All I can say is WOW! You don't even mention the 'fillers' which are my main staple (which must be why I ain't fast).
        I should not sound so "Normal" about it. I have run a lot more miles in a week, but I have never done 4 solid quality workouts in a week before. I feel like a real runner again for the 1st time since Aug 2007. I know true improvement is realized by consistently doing solid workouts week after week. But ... I feel like I finally have momentum back on my side. I am pumped enough that it will be hard to do my 13 day taper correctly, but I know a proper taper is essential for top performance. Jim - You are the real animal!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Jim 24315 - I turn 40 in Feb 09 - I think my goal for the next 2 years is to try and hit 1 or 2 of your masters 40s times - Wow they will be overall PRs if I do. The only one that I can fathom right now is the 2:43:12, the rest are not very probable. I would love to have your masters resume - except those 50s Big grin

Thanks Dopple. We both have birthday's coming up in February--I'll be turning 63.. Although I'm not proud of those 50's, the breather could be responsible for me running better now than I might have otherwise. Yeah, that 2:43 is probably an easier mark than all accept the 5k. I've always tended to do best at the mid range between 10k and half marathon. A lot probably has to do with trainining. Average mileage for the 8 marathons I've run has been in low 50's and I've usually continued to race right up until the week before. The final 3 weeks before the 2:43 were 20k, half mar, 10k. Because I've always like to race a lot when fit, it hasn't leave much room to really focus on marathon. The mileage I've done lately is more than before any prior marathon. If you keep this up: M 15 with 5 @ LAT W 20 with 5 x 5 minutes @ CV at end F 18 with 5 x 2 miles @ LAT SU 20 progressive with last 4 at or above mp you should be headed for some big years as you enter masterdom--impressive. You should start a log and make it public so we know something about you. Keep up the good work.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Who is up for starting the sub 2 hour marathon thread? http://www.scc-events.com/news/news005408.en.html
              DoppleBock

I tried a little, but I am not really an online tracker of mileage / training. Fillers = 4-6 miles sometimes up to 8 miles of recovery (MP + 2 minutes) or easy (MP + 1-1.5 minutes). Their purpose is to get me ready for the next quality workout. Jim - My real goal race is Green Bay - May 2009 - If I can actually train consistently from now until then, I hope to be close to your 2:43 - My PR is 2:45 (2006). 2006 was a very good year for me. I ran a 35:46 10k that year at the end of a 110+ mile week. 2007 I struggle with hip flexors and groin issues the whole year until I quit struggling Sept 1st and took 6 months off - When all I really needed to do was get into the weight room and strengthen some muscles. 2008 has been a year, I never really put more than 2 good weeks of training together. March 1st was my 1st day back running. 7 weeks later I ran Boston with a goal of not running a PW (3:09) and was successful. Ran ok the next 7 weeks and then took off most the rest of the summer. Oh, I ran - Just half ass. I have not even put my racing flats on but once this whole year. My PRs - I have not tried to run a fsat 5k since 2005 - I don't like them 5K 17:51 2005 5M 29:07 2007 10K 35:46 2006 1/2M 1:21 2007 M 2:45 2006 I have also done 2 50M (7:50) (7:36) trail races

Feeling the pressure from advice that I need to run more miles, over the past weeks I have, but know I'm feeling the tell-tell signs of injury. Give me a break! This year has been a bummer due to sickness and setbacks. After run on Wednesday, PF reared it's ugly head. Thursday was my usual rest day, so it faded with rest and attention to stretches and ice. Then Saturday morning, warming up to pace a guy at 7:00 in a 15k (marathon pace for me), my right achilles is burning for no apparent reason. I don't feel it during the race, only to have it still there on Sunday (felt fine on Sun run tho). So I gave it a rest today. There is no swelling or lump, and only slight discomfort (warning sign?) What would be some advice to heed for this coming week? Mon - 6.13 easy @ 8:05 Tue - 7.7 easy @ 8:01 Wed - 10.1 MP ( 4 x 1.26 miles @ 6:50 w/ 2:00 non-run recovery / 5 miles w/up-c/dn) Thu - Rest Fri - 6.13 easy @ 8:23 Sat - 9.26 Tempo @ 6:56 w/ 6.7 miles w/up-c/dn Sun - 7 easy @ 7:44 Total: 53

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

DoppleBock

I have survived many achillies problems with liitle or no time off - Everytime I use ibuprofen 800mp x 4 times a day + an old soccer trick (For ankles) of interchanging icey water (5 minutes) and very hot water (3 minutes) for 5-6 reps 1-2 times a day for 4-7 days I get 2 5 gallon buckets - fill one with ice and water - its cold enough some of the cubes are still floating and one with as hot of water as I can stand. If the hot water cools - I add more heated from microwave, if the cold water warms, more cubes. There are times I have had both achillies going at the same time. The cold water pushes the old blood out of the injured area and the hot water draws new fresh blood into the area to speed up healing. Just as important, Run your mileage, but think twice about speed work - When it comes to the achiilies, speed kills. You have to do what is right for you, this is just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice DB! I appreciate the time it took for you to post this. I see that I need to be a lot more aggressive to aid the healing.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Doesn't sound too bad, pRED. Only slight discomfort and not while running. You can probably manage it with ice make sure to do long warmups before all runs for a while till there's no pain. Then keep your calves stretched out--not before running. I'd stay off the meds, personally.

Runners run

mike -It's there, but not what I'd call hurting while I'm running. I'd describe it like a scabbed over scrape that I feel that I need to favor to keep it from bothering. I just ran 6 miles this morning, and it was there till I got warmed up. Then nothing. Stretched and when I walked in, nothing. So should I ice now, or later when it flames up? Planned 5k this Saturday. Should I skip any quality planned for Wed? Trent's ibuprofen posts have scared me, so I agree about avoiding the meds.

Ricky

DoppleBock

As far a meds - you have to do what you feel comfortable with - I have a bottle in my car, at work and at home. I would attack it with the very gentle stretching (THis can do more harm than good if too agressive) and the ice / heat - just to get it kicked to the curb. If it continues to persist, I would figure out a way to strengthen that area so you do not have to keep dealing with it.

DoppleBock

Last real workout is in the books (maybe)- 12 miles with 3x1 mile at T, 9 days to the marathon. I always do 12-14 miler 1 week out, I may add a few miles at MP if I am feeling strong. I don't put much faith in a 10 day weather report, but right now 43F low on Friday night with 58 high on Saturday 10-14 MPH headwind + Rain. The rain and wind will change 10 times in the next 10 days, but the temps are near perfect (If your from WI)

I saw this on "Masters Running" user group. Dopple Bock September 396 YTD 3,254 Wow! I'd hate to see what you'd do in year that didn't include a summer of "slacking, drinkinking too much beer..." edit to add: ah...I picked right up on who you are for last 3 handles, but it took Obsessor's comment on other thread for it to sink in this time...so obvious too. Those senior "moments" are starting to last longer and longer. Stick around. I think you'll like it around here. Stay healthy and good luck at Whistle Stop.