Hi there..I'm new. (Read 1007 times)

Double IPA Please!

I have been running off and on for a few years now- well since my teens. I started running seriously about 2 years ago and due to my own over eagerness (read: Stupidity) I ended up with IT issues with my left knee. Went to an Orthopedist, did the physical therapy thing for a few months and then stopped running completely for the next year and a half. Fast forward to this past August. Started running again seriously and wanted to aim for a 10 mile race this April. Figured I had plenty of time and just started working on my base. I must say that I was doing all of my running on the dreadmill in fear of the shock to my knee -left knee (can you say Gun Shy). Was doing fine, started off slow, made no mistakes..Worked my mileage up to 20 miles a week (this past month) over the course of time since August of 07'. This past month I have been transitioning to road running with my race lingering in the near future. The week before last I did all road runs totaling 21 miles that week. Well, on my last long run of that week about 20 minutes in my Right Hip Flexor as well as Right knee started bothering me. I was too far from home to turn around and nearly at my half way point. I figured, eh, just hit it and be done. Well, I finished that run at a near crawl with frequent walk breaks with tears in my eyes from pain cursing the whole way home. Got home Iced/ibuprofined rinse and repeat the next few days. Then I fell sick with a horrendous Stomach Flu. Figured fine, more time for me to heal. The thing that really gets me is that It was not even the knee that I usually have problems with but the other. My left knee is totally fine. Go figure. Roll eyes Which brings me to today. Wanted to do an easy 3 miler. Felt good, no knee pain, no hip pain. Perhaps I started off too fast, I don't think I did..15 minutes in I was at a crawl and had to walk/run it back home whimpering like a baby. I am so upset/mad/frustrated/pissed off that this is happening to me. I had my heart set on this race. Which would be my very first race past 5k. Let my preface by saying that I live in a very hilly area. No way to escape the hills. My race is on a tough hilly course. The second issue is that the roads around here are very uneven- unless I want to risk my life running down the middle is not an option. My log here only goes back until December as I lost all my other logs in the Cool Running debacle (sp?) poof * gone just like that..Don't get me started. My times are turtlle slow which I am fine with because it was my intention to come back s-l-o-w to avoid *ahem* what is happening to me now. My past 5k times have been sub 30's- so I'm not terribly fast, but good enough for me. Not in it to win it, but to achieve personal goals. Maybe when /if I get faster, then my goals will change Big grin. My shoes only have what? 120 or less miles on them (Saucony Pro Grid Triumph 5) which I was fitted for. So..I have an Ortho. Appt. tomorrow. I wanted to also mention if you look in my log a few weeks back it looks as if I only ran a couple miles..well I spent that week doing spinning and walking due to some Hip Flexor Pain in my Right hip. What do you guys think? Help..I'm dying here. Confused Oh, my name is Denise, I'm 35 and a mom to 3.. Nice to meet you all. I have been lurking for a couple months now.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Queen of 3rd Place

Wow, you've had a tough time of it! I don't know what to say, other than good luck with your ortho appointment and take it easy. You have time to get yourself well and back into the swing of it. Arla

Ex runner

Double IPA Please!

Hey, thanks for the well wishes. It seems like I have had a rough time doesn't it? At least in the last couple weeks anyway. I went from August to present time (minus this injury) with no problems at all. Zilch. Now that I've started running outside it seems as if I'm having problems.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

jeffdonahue

Ouch, that stinks. Welcome to the group first of all and I wish you the best of luck with your ortho appointment. Make sure they check your shoes to make sure they are right for you - sometimes those guys at the running store can be wrong. It may be that you need something with more cushion I did notice that you seem to have a mixture of workouts - hills, intervals, tempo runs etc... in your log. If I were you I would skip those and just go with easy miles after you heal - those types of runs can really tear you up. Another suggestion would be to run with someone else. First, you have company if you get hurt. Second, I find that when I run with other people I dont get hurt as often. I think my problem is that when I injure something I become acutely aware that that region of my body exists and I find myself concentrating on it - to the point where I change my stride to compensate, which can just hurt you more. AGain, good luck and hang in there. We've all been injured at one point or another. It will pass.

Double IPA Please!

Hi and thanks Jeff.. I trust my little Independant Running Store..she is an avid runner herself and has done events all over the place. She knows her stuff..It took me a long time of stubborness before I went to see her! Thanks though.. As far as my runs- your right.. I never know how to mark them in my log because the majority if not all of my runs have hills in them.. So I pretty much run the same, my intervals and tempos- yeah, I know better. If I go for straight runs that include hills how would I mark that on my log? I would say 50% of my runs outside have hills throughout them..good ones at that. So I get confused as to how to log them. I dont have anywhere flat to run around here, unless I go to the track and then for me I mine as well be on my treadmill (can we say boring?). Should I have not ran today and gave my knee more time? It was a little over a week of down time. I wish I had someone to run with, but I don't. I do have some running groups that are about 30 minutes away, but throw in 3 kids and a husband who works, I don't see that doable right now. It's just me myself and I. My pain goes away a bit when I stop and walk- its still in the background of course, but when I start up to run again within 10 seconds my knee feels like it wants to give out on me. Not good.

Double IPA Please!

Have I asked a question that has been asked too many times before? You all seem to really know your stuff.

Welcome Denise. So you've had no problems running for months on the treadmill but one of the first times you step outside your left knee becomes very painful? What type of pain? Muscle/Tendon/Bone? Certainly a visit to the doc will yield the best advice so nice work getting that scheduled. I'm not sure what else I can add except to say you must be doing something differently when running outside to cause the pain if running on a treadmill for months was fine.
                I figured, eh, just hit it and be done.
                Yeah. Famous last words. This advice is dangerous in more environments than just running not that I would know anything about it, of course.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

JakeKnight

Hiya. Welcome.
                  The second issue is that the roads around here are very uneven- unless I want to risk my life running down the middle is not an option.
                  Define "uneven." You mean cambered? As in tilted at the edge sharply? Running with one foot below the other for miles could sure explain your problems. The hills are okay; they're good, in fact. But a serious camber causes problems. Got any place level to run? I mean, besides the treadmill? Or could you at least switch side of the road sometimes or switch directions, so you aren't always tilted the same way?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Double IPA Please!

Yes, I have ran for months on the treadmill with not so much as an issue. First full week on the road and I'm down. That is the most frustrating part of it all. The pain is on both sides of my Right Knee and underneath my knee if that makes sense..My Right Hip Flexor also puts in its two cents as well. Today when I ran I actually felt some faint numbness running down my calf which subsided fairly quickly. It starts to feel better when I stop running, still an ache but not near as bad as that severe ache when I run. When I get up from sitting sometimes it even feels as if It wants to give out on me. Yes, I would describe my roads as cambered. When I run out back I can run more towards the middle of the road which I do, but even running in the middle the roads are not as completely flat (does that makes sense?) I figured the hills are good, especially with this race coming up I was going to run. I just am at a loss. All this time and now this. I felt fine all that week- as in awesome. Then 15 minutes into that one last long run and man..

JakeKnight

The only time I ever had hip and knee problems (although very mild compared to yours) was when I spent several weeks doing all my runs at the beach, on the sand near the waterline. Great running, soft surface ... but, of course, its always tilted at an angle. Some people seem to able to handle running on a tilt. I can't. Maybe that's causing your problem? I hate treadmills and usually say they have no purpose - but this might be a good exception. Have you tried doing just some of your runs on the road? Maybe every other one on the treadmill? I'd guess that running on a camber every day of the week could do a number on your hips or knees or both.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Sounds very frustrating. My non-medical brain would be tempted to calculate the % grade of your outside run and input that into a treadmill run to see if running up a hill causes you any issues.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Double IPA Please!

Thanks again. Once I feel better I will have to get back up on the Treadmill. I feel so defeated. The weather has been pretty decent around these parts and I hate to coop myself up in the basement- especially since it was sooo nice to be able to run outside. I will have to see what the Ortho says tomorrow. I feel frustrated. So in all honesty, do you ya'll think I should hang up this 10 miler come April? (beginning) There is also a 5k as well. The 5k has a pretty steep hill about 10 minutes in. Whereas well here is the link to the course: Also these are the types of roads I run on around here since it's mostly all we have. http://www.kutztownfoolsrun.com/images/KFR_Map_10Mi.pdf I'm just to damn stubborn to give it up yet. Can one do all their training on the treadmill and then do the actual race with any success?

Running on the street and running on a treadmill are two different things (as far as impact to your legs). The road will have a lot less give than the treadmill deck, especially if you have an orthopedic belt on the treadmill. Perhaps you need to ease into road running just like you eased back into treadmill running. That might let your body adapt to the different stresses on your joints/ligaments. As for the race, don't let it push you into training when you shouldn't be. There are many races, no point in pushing too hard and getting hurt for this one. Good luck getting it sorted out.
                            Kimmie

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. But I will say that I do 99% of my runs outside. whenever I run on the treadmill, I get strange aches and pains. All that to say that I must change my stride when I'm on the treadmill. I'm guessing your stride has changed once you got outside. My thoughts would be to get healthy, then try to do most of your runs outside. Also, is your Doctor a runner? That makes a big difference. Good luck and don't push the training too hard too soon. Your Doctor will be able to tell you whether or not you can run the race, I would think.
                              higa

Hi Denise I know nothing about running on treadmills but I have had lots of injuries over the years. I am a great advocate of rest which is hard when you are desparate to get out there. I cross train and do a helluva lot of walking while the body heals itself. Luckily my injuries haven't stoppped me walking. When getting back into it I usually make the first 2-3 runs run/walk - it might be run 2/min walk 1 min for a significant injury or run 10/walk 2 for a lesser. This way i manage to get a feel for how it is and if you plan it right you don't end up miles from home if things do go belly up. This way i can also get out there while the injury is still a bit niggly but hey what runner really is patient enough to sit on the couch! Hope your appt goes well.