Snag List for runners. (Read 1146 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

In the past when I have been running well, it has unfortunately come to an abrupt end, as I have got injured. However, now I am not gonna let this happen again, as I am more sensible with my training regime. However, there are a couple of things that are bothering me. 1) I arrived home the other day, and took off my jacket, to see that my running vest was covered in blood. My right nipple had chaffed so much that it had turned my vest from white to red. Gross eh! 2) 2) Yesterday, I felt great, running really well, despite the zapping heat. However, after about 7 miles or so, I was forced to slow down due to my left upper thigh chaffing. It became quite an intense. Fortunately I had some lip salve with me, and so I had to apply that, but it didn’t really help. On arriving home, yet again a very red area. 3) Whilst running, I feel more secure if I tie my laces quite tight, so that they are snug to my feet, although I have noticed that when it is warmer, my feet begin to ache. Is this because they are too tight? How tight should my shoes be? 4) My eyes become filled with flying bugs, anyone recommend some good glasses for wearing? Anyone else have these problems and can help me would be great. Be great to list all our annoyances.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Prince of Fatness

For numbers one and two I use Body Glide. This works well for me. It's available in running stores and sporting goods stores. For number 3, your shoes could be laced too tight. I know that if my laces are too tight my feet hurt. There was a thread on this subject not too long ago. For number 4, I have no experience and can't help you.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

For #1 I use a small strip of surgical tape (available at CVS and such) to prevent chafing. Sometimes I use little cirle bandaids but they can be quite sticky. #2 for me compression shorts on really long runs. #3 feet swell during long or hot runs so tie your shoes with this in mind. Ive used quick laces like the triathletes use at times and you can adjust these quickly while on the road. #4 I wear a pair of $10 cheapo wrap around oakley knockoffs to keep stuff out of my eyes and give me some sun protection. I still make sure they have UV protection. I see lots of folks running in really expensive glasses but thats not how I roll. Ask some of your local runners what they like and where they buy them. Might be helpful.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Tape the nipples, lots of folks use body glide, I prefer Vaseline because it's cheaper, works as well and doesn't break and crumble when you get 1/3 of the way through it. Open you mouth and swallow the bugs to prevent them from getting in your eyes. It gives a little protein boost during a run.
            Corn pads work well for the nipple issue. Sometimes a little difficult to remove but not as bad pain from the bloody nipple.

1 - Band aids over the nipples. 2 - Vaseline or body glide. 3 - Your feet swell when you run, more so in the heat than in the cold. Adjust your shoe laces or sock thickness accordingly. 4 - I'm afraid of the sun so I always wear sunglasses anyway. Find some cheap ones that don't slide around when you run, and if you can't then visit a local race with an expo and haggle with the sunglass vendors - only once have I had to pay full price for a pair of sunglasses. I find its easiest to talk them down when buying more than one pair of sunglasses, and you'll probably have better luck near the end of the expo than the beginning when they don't want to bring anything home with them.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

kcam

Bandaids, vaseline and sunglasses. Be careful on the sunglasses though. I've read (not sure how much truth is in this) that the very cheapest ones block visible light but don't block UV rays. So what happens is that the dark shades block enough visible light to allow the pupils to open up and get damaged by the unblocked UV. I think safest bet is to get some real sunglasses that block UV and are polarizing.
                  One suggestion on the shoelace topic- there are different lacing patterns, you can skip the eyelet where you normally feel the pressure on top of your instep, for example. Another idea is the elastic laces with a sliding retainer, there is some give to them so they don't tighten up as much, and the retainer can be very quickly adjusted if they become too tight. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

1.) Compression shirt. You can get them at Walm-Mart for like $10. They're tight on you, but it's better than bloody nips. 2.) Compression shorts underneath regular shorts. If that's not your style, then vaseline it up before you go out. If it is still rubbing up, then when you get back - neosporin, or some type of antibiotic cream works well.
                      What has worked for me - 1) vaseline, body glide, band-aids, or "nip guards" (running stores should have them.) 2) body glide, loose-fitting running shorts, or seamless poly tights (e.g. Asics Transitive Boxers.) 3) lace toebox loose and midfoot tighter (using little tunnel on tongue of shoe to keep tension separate) 4) I got some (< $20) at a marathon expo. replaceable lenses (2 sets). most important: uv protection, and get the lightest tint your eyes can stand (darker shades cause the eyes to dilate more, letting more of the uv that does get through get to the lens/retina.) $20)="" at="" a="" marathon="" expo.="" replaceable="" lenses="" (2="" sets).="" most="" important:="" uv="" protection,="" and="" get="" the="" lightest="" tint="" your="" eyes="" can="" stand="" (darker="" shades="" cause="" the="" eyes="" to="" dilate="" more,="" letting="" more="" of="" the="" uv="" that="" does="" get="" through="" get="" to="" the="" lens/retina.)=""></ $20) at a marathon expo. replaceable lenses (2 sets). most important: uv protection, and get the lightest tint your eyes can stand (darker shades cause the eyes to dilate more, letting more of the uv that does get through get to the lens/retina.) >
                        There is "zapping heat" but you are still wearing a running vest and jacket? Dress down man! It's trapped moisture that's causing your chafing. In warm weather I'll either go shirtless or wear a Dri-Fit singlet. In fact, that's what I wore this morning on my run and it was a sweltering 56F. The cause of your thigh chaffing is also likely to be clothing related. Make sure your running clothing is made for running, no cotton allowed. Shoe laces need to be loose and for that matter, your running shoes need to be a full size larger than your street shoes. Your feet swell when you run and if there is no room you'll lose circulation, hence your achy feet. Tom