How hard is it to know if an elite athlete is a woman? (Read 2189 times)

Why is it sideways?

Jeff seems to be of the opinion that there is no reason for any division of the genders in athletic competition. If I tried to see things his way, I'd be confounded by the fact that there has been this division for so long. There's no way to confront that viewpoint. It is what it is. Women athletes would almost disappear from the national and international stage if they had to compete with men.

You are confusing my view with spaniel's misread of my view.

At least no one will ever accuse me of being a shemale. 

over/under is 3 posts before someone asks you for visual proof. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

over/under is 3 posts before someone asks you for visual proof. 

Can I just get my hubby to vouch? Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jpnairn

straw man

You are confusing my view with spaniel's misread of my view.

You're not being clear then. Should men and women compete separately? If so, why? I'm really not getting it.

If masculinity is not an advantage, why should women compete separately from men?

If masculinity is an advantage, why should someone more masculine than a woman be put in competition with women?

MTA: OK, now I see what you meant. Men are not disqualified from competing against other men just because of some genetic trait. Somehow, you look at that and say Caster Semenya should not be disqualified from competing against other women because of genetic traits. I could agree if it wasn't for the fact that the question is whether she's a woman.

If Caster Semenya were to compete against men, it would be a moot point.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This may just be the most beautiful thread ever.

I have a tear in my eye.

Beautiful.  Just beautiful.

This may just be the most beautiful thread ever.

I have a tear in my eye.

Beautiful.  Just beautiful.

You're crying? You have too much estrogen.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That.  Or black socks.
                    Caster Semenya vs. Castor Troy. Who would win in a face off?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hawt and sexy

Poops.  I even looked for her side on the suicide thingy. I didn't think to look for recent stuff since she has been somewhat reclusive.  Maybe some back woods doc gave her too many horse meds for some medical condition she had.  Let's change that to reportedly tried to commit suicide.

I do agree with the idea that we do not question our gender. Even if they did find a set of testies in the South African athlete what would it mean?  Seriously, there is an athlete out there that still has a WR after her death, even though she was found to be intersex. If that can happen, how can you take a medal away from someone with a similar condition? If you start browsing articles about gender testing, you will find that in 1996 (the last Olympiad that required women to gender test) 5-7 intersexed athletes were allowed to compete as women (this was from 3 different articles I found in a quick search, 2 said 7 and 1 said 5).  So if it is fine for the intersexed to compete, why then is it not fine for them to win? Do you let those that have had gender reassignment surgery win, but the others cannot?  To compete at this level, you need to put in a ton of work.  I just don't think the athletes in question ever believed that all that work would be for naught once they were successful. 

I'm touching your pants.

GST

Huh? If she was born a woman, I would think she (and her mother) would know it. If she has unusually high levels of testosterone, she probably doesn't know it. I guess I don't see that that would make her a "man" or give her an unfair advantage.

When I ran track in college, one of the fastest girls on the team was seriously ungirly and even had a slight moustache. I imagine she had higher levels of testosterone...but she didn't get kicked off the team because of it. Where would you draw the line?

God, I can't believe I'm still contributing to this @$#* thread.

women can be be born XY and from outer appearances be a woman.... They can have internal testes.  In the US, this can be found when the woman wonders why menstruation was delayed and gets examined by a gynecologist sometimes.  However, another country, and an elite athlete who probably did not think much of not menstruating because they often doubt, I could see how she would not know.

Prince of Fatness

Yep, this is me.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Good grief. This thread is setting a new high in suckiness and should require a surgeon general warning.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Better yet............

C-R

Better yet............

game........

set........

match......

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/