How hard is it to know if an elite athlete is a woman? (Read 2189 times)

I think this thread needs cuter pictures...

hey look!  a puppy!

#artbydmcbride

girl or boy?

Runners run

girl or boy?

based only on your shapely cabose I'm going with girl.  Am I right?

I think this thread needs cuter pictures...

hey look!  a puppy!

I suppose that's cute if you sanction puppy/stuffed animal molestation, you sicko.

Has this issue come up in women's tennis?

I ask because several of the top players have very masculine builds- including at least one Williams sister.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

kcam

Has this issue come up in women's tennis?

I ask because several of the top players have very masculine builds- including at least one Williams sister.

Both Williams sisters look like females.  One's a good bit more bulked than the other but she has decidedly feminine hips, chest and face.  The most masculine-looking female tennis players are Mauresmo and, though she's retired now, Henin. 

Menace to Sobriety

Here's almost 4 minutes from "It's Pat!" the movie.

If every one on this thread watches this clip, it'll be as many as actually saw the movie.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

an amazing likeness

Speaking to tennis and just commenting...to me, in person Ms. Mauresmo is much slighter than she appears on television....but she does have a broad torso and narrow hips, but isn't really "masculine" (whatever that is...who knows). 

Don't forget Renee Richards, she was a man.  (literally)

[/end of MY irrelevant thread drift dribble]

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

[/end of irrelevant thread drift dribble]

Milky... you think you can just snap your fingers and end thread drift dribble?  This thread has been dribbling long before you came in here with your pretty much relevant to the original topic crap.  And the dribbling will continue long after you are gone. 

Menace to Sobriety

Don't forget Renee Richards, she was a man.  (literally)

[/end of irrelevant thread drift dribble]

Not quite. I was going to mention Richards, but believe it or not, there was a transexual competing on both the men's and women's pro fishing circuit back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Now, I know its hard to believe, but pro bass fishing is not the mellting pot of diversity that you may think it is. It was quite the controversy on both circuits.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

all of society should be as forward thinking as NASCAR and drag racing.

The official site of Shirley Muldowney... the first woman of drag. 

http://www.muldowney.com/

oh... racing. 

an amazing likeness

"Thus far, there are no known instances of cisgender males claiming female gender identity as a means to access women's only spaces. Using this theoretical risk to exclude an entire class of women from women's spaces is not appropriate.[citation needed]"

Its from Wikipedia, so I present it as the definitive discourse on this thread's question....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Purdey's got a point.  I read somewhere that women do have an advantage at very long distances.  I think it has something to do with fat stores.  Maybe, I'm not sure.

As for Semenya, I don't think she has a chance.  Fact of the matter is that she improved her 800m time by 8 seconds since last October.  But worse than that, she's just beaten the world's best by more than 2 seconds at the ripe old age of 18.  Someone else already said it.  If she's allowed to compete, then no one else wins for at least the next 10 years.  I don't see that being allowed to happen.

When someone comes onto the world stage and dominates that much, they'd better be bulletproof, because people will come out of the woodwork to take them down.  Look at Bolt.  He barely crossed the finish line before people started talking about steroids.

My Mother, of all people, cut out the article about women's advantage in ultras. She wanted to know when I'd start training. I believe the theory is that our bodies know how to access the fat stores better than guys.

I don't want to be a naysayer. I want to believe...but I was wondering about Bolt last night watching him cross the finish in the 200. He certainly seems to peak at just the right time.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

My Mother, of all people, cut out the article about women's advantage in ultras. She wanted to know when I'd start training. I believe the theory is that our bodies know how to access the fat stores better than guys.

I don't want to be a naysayer. I want to believe...but I was wondering about Bolt last night watching him cross the finish in the 200. He certainly seems to peak at just the right time.

I don't think he uses much fat in a 200 meter race. Which is prabably a good thing since he has very little. 

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey's got a point.  I read somewhere that women do have an advantage at very long distances.  I think it has something to do with fat stores.  Maybe, I'm not sure.

Maybe something to do with fat stores - but I'm positive that is not the main reason.  If it were, I would be a world beater.  I think it has more to do with a greater ability to withstand pain for extended durations (may have something to do with childbirth), ability to access fat stores and make those calories more readily available combined with an ability to concentrate for extended periods of time. 

Either way... women are starting to outperform men in some of the longer ultras, and  Paula's 2:15 shows that it is even possible to narrow the gap in shorter events like the marathon.

Anyway... women are great.