Yet another article on the dangers of running (too much). (Read 1029 times)

You people are going to ruin your knees too.

Ha! I quit my last gym because the guy working there told me this. I was angry that there was no treadmill available (there was quite a bad thunderstorm outside) and when I expressed my frustration he told me to use the elliptical, it's "better for you." When I said, "Sorry, not gonna cut it, I'm training for a marathon," he laughed at me and said "well, I'm sorry you won't be able to walk when you're sixty years old."  I suppose he never went through customer service training. Regardless, my new gym has tons of treadmills and no snarky employees Smile

Edited to add: I obviously understand your post was a joke Wink

Here's the rebuttal if anyone wants to read it; interesting stuff.  

Meaghan:

Thanks for the link to that article.  This is why I always read any article with grain of salt (is this how you say it?).  Years ago there was an article in Running Times against high mileage training.  In it, particularly, two well-known people's comments were referred to.  One was by Dr. David Costill against high mileage training of Lydiard; and another one was Shalane Flanagan saying that (insinuating) that 70 miles a week was too much for her and she'd prefer staying around 50--this was right around the time when she had the breakthrough and went on and won the bronze medal in Beijing.  At any rate, I tracked down Dr. Costil and asked him what he meant.  Right away, he went, "Oh, my God!  That's not what I meant at all!!" and went on and posted an apology note to Running Times in the following issue.  And then I ran into Shalane at NYC marathon later that year and asked her about her comment and she said; "That's not what I meant at all--if I could, I'd be running 120-miles a week!!" which she did to prepare herself for the Olympic Trial victory.  Lorraine had a breakfast with her and her family the day after she won the Trial and she said she was doing about 130-miles a week and never felt this strong.  So so much for the low mileage theory--at least with that particular article!!  So we really have to be careful with what we read--and who provided that particular article.

A Saucy Wench

You people are going to ruin your knees too.

My friend just got told by her doctor last week to quit running because her uterus was falling out. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ha! I quit my last gym because the guy working there told me this. I was angry that there was no treadmill available (there was quite a bad thunderstorm outside) and when I expressed my frustration he told me to use the elliptical, it's "better for you." When I said, "Sorry, not gonna cut it, I'm training for a marathon," he laughed at me and said "well, I'm sorry you won't be able to walk when you're sixty years old."  I suppose he never went through customer service training. Regardless, my new gym has tons of treadmills and no snarky employees Smile

I posted this at the other thread about how running is bad for you: http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1703763_1703764_1853207,00.html

Here's the part on knees: 

"...Stanford University researchers began studying 538 middle-aged runners back in the 1980s during the height of America's jogging craze. At the time, critics were convinced that runners would suffer serious injuries and predicted an epidemic of knee replacements. But 21 years of research show quite the opposite is true. Data from the Stanford study, which was recently published in two peer-reviewed journals, show that the runners did not have higher rates of osteoarthritis and total knee replacements. And the onset of disabilities appeared 12 to 16 years later in the runners' group vs. the nonrunners'..."

Queen of 3rd Place

My friend just got told by her doctor last week to quit running because her uterus was falling out. 

I know we like to joke about this (my mother told me the same thing back in the 70s), but...really? You're not joking?

Ex runner

We have to choose just one?

Best reply of the day.

Jeff

jfa

Meh. I have been running without a uterus for years. Doesn't affect me one bit.

A Saucy Wench

I know we like to joke about this (my mother told me the same thing back in the 70s), but...really? You're not joking?

Nope. 

"Falling out" can happen to a degree - stuff doesnt stay where it is supposed to - can cause bladder issues.  It usually is caused by traumatic birth. 

Stop running seems to be the entire treatment plan her doctor has. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Nope. 

"Falling out" can happen to a degree - stuff doesnt stay where it is supposed to - can cause bladder issues.  It usually is caused by traumatic birth. 

He didn't prescribe walking on her hands 1/2 the day to counter act the affects of gravity?  Silly Dr. 

kcam

Just an FYI - the elliptical trainer can be an excellent training tool for marathon runners.  Don't discard the idea out of hand.

Feeling the growl again

I posted this at the other thread about how running is bad for you: http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1703763_1703764_1853207,00.html

Here's the part on knees: 

"...Stanford University researchers began studying 538 middle-aged runners back in the 1980s during the height of America's jogging craze. At the time, critics were convinced that runners would suffer serious injuries and predicted an epidemic of knee replacements. But 21 years of research show quite the opposite is true. Data from the Stanford study, which was recently published in two peer-reviewed journals, show that the runners did not have higher rates of osteoarthritis and total knee replacements. And the onset of disabilities appeared 12 to 16 years later in the runners' group vs. the nonrunners'..."

Thanks Nobby.  I need to have this URL put on business cards so I can hand them out at opportune times.  As many of you have probably experienced, keeping a few in one's wallet would not be overkill as often as it comes up!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

I hear this from my wife all the time. Ironically, she is the one gimping around with arthritic knees and going for therapy. My knees feel great Smile   When I had my shoulder/cancer scare  back in 2009, I had a full body CT scan. It is neat to see. My bunion area (and shoulder area) lit up but my hips and knees did not even show a twinge of arthritis - clear as can be.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Imminent Catastrophe

I have printed out a copy of this and whenever I get that comment about my knees I give it to them to read.

I've highlighted this sentence:

"Runners' initial disability was 16 years later than nonrunners,'" Fries said. "By and large, the runners have stayed healthy."

MTA: I see that Nobby already posted a link to that Stanford study. I should read the whole thread before replying.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Queen of 3rd Place

Nope. 

Heh, yeah, that's why it's called prolapse and not abscission, but damn...great doc she has there. 

Ex runner

A Saucy Wench

Nothing tears up my knees quite as badly as ellipticals.   I can use the Xtrainer things at our gym that are somewhat between an elliptical and a stair stepper.  But a real elliptical kills me.