Struggling at the Moment (Read 427 times)

ckerr1999

Thanks everyone. Tried to go for a 10 mile run today, but quit aft 3 miles. Just had no energy. I will take your advice. Rest for the next 7-10 days and then start back slowly. I have read the Advanced Marathoning book, but probably should read it again, and then follow one of the plans. The 55 mile a week plan is probably the best one for me. Thanks.

ckerr1999

How should I use the McMillian Calculator combined with the Pfitz 55 mile a week plan?

elodie.kaye

For now, you can use your 13.1 time trial from Jan to give you an idea of training paces.  (Which actually shows that your easy runs in the 8's is pretty reasonable.)  Once you get back in the groove, it would be better to run a 5K or 10K race to get an idea of what your tempo paces should be.  You might have improved from Jan, but most importantly it will indicate your pace in the heat. With the added volume, you'll have to slow down this summer if you want to make it out alive, no joke.

When you enter a recent race result or time trial the McMillan calculator spits out equivalent times for other distances.  Pfitz prescribes intervals and tempos at various race paces.  Personally, when Pfitz calls for tempos ~1h at half-marathon pace, I'd do them closer to marathon pace.  I think tempos ~30-45min. at half-MP are reasonable.  Daniels has a table in his book to adjust tempo paces as they get longer.

Even though your time trial supports your easy paces, I strongly suggest you be honest with yourself about how it feels.  If 8:20 is easy, a 3-mile tempo at 7:20 should be cake.  My easy paces are 30-40s slower than what McMillan suggests, but I can run a 5M tempo at half-marathon pace without too much drama.  If I only have to run 3M at tempo, I can do it at 10K pace.  Easy pace is whatever you need it to be so you show up ready to nail a tempo or speed workout.  If you can't hold 7:20 for at least 3 miles, your easy days aren't easy enough.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

How should I use the McMillian Calculator combined with the Pfitz 55 mile a week plan?

You need a recent race (you can start with your last years races until you have something more recent after your rest). Plug in your time and the calculator will tell you paces for recovery, easy, long, tempo, intervals, and other paces. Into the plan, plug in:

Pfitz Plan = Calculator

General aerobic = Easy

Recovery = Recovery

Medium-Long and Long = Long

Lactate threshold = Tempo (or the paces specified in the plan such as 5K race pace, or half M pace).

Marathon pace is self explanatory.

If you look at my Training Log summary page, I use a notes widget to keep track of my McMillan paces. I like to list the range as well as the midpoint. If I feel really good, I may stay on the faster side of midpoint. If I feel extra tired, I will stick to the slower side of the midpoint on a given workout, or take a rest or recovery pace day.

It's important to remember that you only get more fit or faster, while resting or sleeping when your body repairs itself. The workout provides the stimulus but the rest brings it home. Don't be afraid to take it easy or take some days off, even if that differs from the plan, if you feel extra tired or run down (more than the general fatigue that training causes).

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

ckerr1999

Thanks. I am going start off with a HM time of 1:45 to get my initial paces, and then do  a 5k or 10k time trial every 4 weeks to update my training paces. I think my time of 1:37 in January isn't accurate. I did it on an indoor track and was having trouble with my foot pod calibration that day. So I think that 1:37 is closer to a 1:50 that day.  But more importantly I need a week of rest at the moment. As well I just started a new job 4 weeks ago and am having to get use to much longer days, and a much longer commute.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It sounds as if running is more of a chore than a pleasurable activity for you.  Can you find some beautiful routes and try to enjoy the scenery?  That helps me when I'm struggling.  I'm just getting back into running slowly after straining my adductor muscle in February.  The break made me appreciate running more!  (I am a turtle, so I don't worry about how slow I am.)

Pop a couple Xanax and you'll be good to go.

Latent Runner

Pop a couple Xanax and you'll be good to go.

Do you ever have anything constructive to offer or are you just a professional TROLL?

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                  • 2-mile: 13:49
                  • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                  • 5-Mile: 37:24
                  • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                  • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                  • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

The running shoe thread, the sunglasses thread and  the beer thread all contain some relatively usefull information, thank you.

Latent Runner

Ahh, so you make a few benign posts which cover up your true trollish persona.  All in all, you're still a troll.

Fat old man PRs:

JimR

Thanks. I am going start off with a HM time of 1:45 to get my initial paces, and then do  a 5k or 10k time trial every 4 weeks to update my training paces. I think my time of 1:37 in January isn't accurate. I did it on an indoor track and was having trouble with my foot pod calibration that day. So I think that 1:37 is closer to a 1:50 that day.  But more importantly I need a week of rest at the moment. As well I just started a new job 4 weeks ago and am having to get use to much longer days, and a much longer commute.

Just slow down those non-workout days, and no excuses about being unable to run slow.  8's are too fast, do mid to high 9's.

Listen man, running isn't my only hobby, but it's becoming my main one right now. I hate to use the word "training" but i'm actually upping my mileage for an event i would like to do in the fall. Plus, i like to read as much as i can here, AND further more, how do you know a couple Xanax wouldn't help out. I wasn't trying to be mean, just offering a little help. I like what JimR just said, that was my problem a few weeks ago. I was running too fast, had to bring it down to the 9 minute a mile range.

#artbydmcbride

JimR is very wise (and fast)  I always listen to him.  

Runners run

ckerr1999

Thanks. On my 2nd day of rest, and sure miss not running.

Latent Runner

Listen man, running isn't my only hobby, but it's becoming my main one right now. I hate to use the word "training" but i'm actually upping my mileage for an event i would like to do in the fall. Plus, i like to read as much as i can here, AND further more, how do you know a couple Xanax wouldn't help out. I wasn't trying to be mean, just offering a little help. I like what JimR just said, that was my problem a few weeks ago. I was running too fast, had to bring it down to the 9 minute a mile range.

You're down to a 9 minute mile?  Aren't you the same guy bragging about running 5Ks in 14:00 less than a year ago?

Fact is, your posts are rarely constructive, often BS, and always trollish.

Fat old man PRs: