Finally back to running! (Read 508 times)

I've pretty much been sidelined for 6 weeks for tendinitis in my achille's area. The funny thing is, that I didn't do it running, I hurt it jumping up and down after my NY Giants beat the NE Patriots for the super bowl and ruined their perfect season. Anyway, being sidelined was depressing, I even got out of stretching , sit-ups, weights didn't even hit the stationary bike. I'd come home from work sit like a log and pig out on junk. Had tried the threadmill a couple of times, it was painful and I although Ii could run through the pain, I didn't want to risk really damaging the achille tendons. Well any way, I hit the streets last night. Ran an easy two miles and the achilles felt pretty good. Exercised when I got home, eat a balance meal of moderate helping and only had one glass of wine instead of half a bottle and some cocktails. I can't tell you how much better I feel today and how motivated I am to get back into the groove. I'm going to take it easy for a little while and not push it as I certainly don't want to be sidelined with it again. So hopefully I'm on the road to recovery both physically and mentally

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Glad you're back! I had a similar problem about 2 years ago with my IT Band. I know how awful it feels to have your running goals sidelined. Just remember to work back slowly. Go Easy, and you'll be fine Big grin

- Anya

Congratulations on getting healthy again! I bet after that six week break, it felt really good to get back out there. I'm in week two of a four week break on account of an injury (also tendinitis, of the peroneus brevis), so I'm going a little bit crazy wanting to run. You sound like you're taking it smart by starting back slow; I'm going to have to follow your example when I can.
          I've pretty much been sidelined for 6 weeks for tendinitis in my achille's area. The funny thing is, that I didn't do it running, I hurt it jumping up and down after my NY Giants beat the NE Patriots for the super bowl and ruined their perfect season. Anyway, being sidelined was depressing, I even got out of stretching , sit-ups, weights didn't even hit the stationary bike. I'd come home from work sit like a log and pig out on junk. Had tried the threadmill a couple of times, it was painful and I although Ii could run through the pain, I didn't want to risk really damaging the achille tendons. Well any way, I hit the streets last night. Ran an easy two miles and the achilles felt pretty good. Exercised when I got home, eat a balance meal of moderate helping and only had one glass of wine instead of half a bottle and some cocktails. I can't tell you how much better I feel today and how motivated I am to get back into the groove. I'm going to take it easy for a little while and not push it as I certainly don't want to be sidelined with it again. So hopefully I'm on the road to recovery both physically and mentally
          That's great! Yeah, take it easy for sure, because the last thing you want to do is be back out there again because you jumped back in too quickly and all! Boy, does that glass of wine sound good right about now Evil grin
          "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
            Thanks all. Ran again last night, still taking it very easy but feel good and the ankle/achilles is holding up well. Depending on the weather (they're predicting rain/snow/sleet for today) I plan on running again. If the weather is bad, I think I'll hit the exercise bike at home whether than the treadmill.

LPH

up to 3 miles last night and starting to feel a lot better

LPH