Talk to me about Treadmills... (Read 1567 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

Mine is on it's last leg - it's 10 years old and was a floor model before my Sister-in-law bought it. Then she gave it to me. I would like to buy one and I've started reading reviews online including treadmilldoctor.com, but I want to hear from RUNNERS that already have treadmills if they recommend their treadmills or not. I find that a lot of the reviews are not written by runners. My current treadmill is not a great running treadmill - the programs are really designed for walkers and it doesn't have a "distance goal" or "time goal" feature. But I do have a long, wide tread - so I'd like that again. I'd also like to hear about prices and where you purchased them - I have only looked in one real (not online) store so far and they didn't have any treadmills under $1000. I'm not sure what my budget is for this, so any info you have on the value you spent is appreciated.

Bring it on.

skinnycaponesugar

I did a bit of research when buying my treadmill. Basically, for running you want something that has at least 2 HP continuos drive motor. It has to be continuous drive power, not peak power. HP is really not a great measurement because some companies like to fiddle with the actual "definition" of HP, that's when you pick the more reputable brand. The second number you should look for is top speed which for runners is up to 16kph (10mph or there abouts) . You want a belt space that is large enough for you, also check for allowable load. You also want a quiet motor, a motor will always grow noisier in time. Features that i wanted were a heart rate monitor, you can get some with a touch pad that you hold on to for a few seconds. Mine works with my polar belt, which is great. What other features are there? programs, incline, panic button, foldable, robust built. After all my loking around I decided to buy a Tunturi, they're made in Finland and they review really well. Mine is used from ebay, it was parked in a garage, barely used since bought new. I got all the features I wanted but it was a pest to move, very heavy, not that you want a light treadmill at all, but make sure you have two big guys to move it. I was warned about buying used machines, mainly because the electronic displays can be very expensive to repair, thankfully i haven't had any problems. Good luck Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

Bump. Treadmill owners, what are you running on? Would you recommend it? Thanks.
          After ending up injured from falling on the ice the last two winters, I decided to buy a treadmill. I belong to a health club, but their tmills are old (at least 8 years because the've been there since I joined) and real bouncy, they hurt my knees and ankles. Also, I'm not real keen on the whole "club scene", I mainly keep my membership for swimming laps... Anyway, I did a lot of research, and decide to buy from a local dealer who has service capability. I tried LifeFitness, PreCor, True, Landice, and BodyGuard. I ended up buying a new PreCor 9.35. It felt the most like running outside, and had the most features and best warrany for the price. Now is a good time to buy, I was able to get $1000 off list price. Smile It took a little while to get used to it, but now I really like it. I've had no problems so far. This machine also does declines up to 1%, so you can really get some simulated terrain changes and work even the quads. The only problem is that now I don't feel much like running outside at all until the snow and ice are gone, and it's 40F+ .Roll eyes The longest run I've done on it so far is 10 miles, don't know if I willl ever get to 20, so my marathon training may suffer some, but at least I'm not falling on the ice in the dark and injuring myself...
            wow. that precor is like a lexus of treadmills. i'm thinking more a honda civic.

Giant Flaming Dork

I have a Horizon Fitness that I picked up from Dicks. It's got 4 years and 400+ miles (running) on it and I couldn't be more happy. It's a CST 3.5 (IIRC). I'm a fairly heavy runner, and it's held up well. No repairs needed in the four years I've owned it. It's not available anymore, but the T1200 (a much better model) always seems to do well in the Consumer Reports ratings.

http://xkcd.com/621/

TJoseph

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good treadmill. I found a used Precor 9.33 on Craigslist a couple of years ago for $300. I got it from an ederly couple that had had it for a year. They couldn't use it any more because of health problems. It's a great treadmill and I would recommend it.
                  You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good treadmill. I found a used Precor 9.33 on Craigslist a couple of years ago for $300. I got it from an ederly couple that had had it for a year. They couldn't use it any more because of health problems. It's a great treadmill and I would recommend it.
                  That's true, the only problem being that you may not get warranty/service, delivery/setup. But if you can do without those there are a lot of good deals on EBay, too.
                    wow. that precor is like a lexus of treadmills. i'm thinking more a honda civic.
                    Costco has some great deals on treadmills right now. The Espirit ET6 is a great buy @ $999 Delivered and installed. Check out The treadmill doctor website for reviews on just about any treadmill. http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Reviews/Treadmill-Review-Brand-Index MTA I occasionally run on my dads Sole F85, it is really nice. I think it was about $1500
                    TJoseph

That's true, the only problem being that you may not get warranty/service, delivery/setup. But if you can do without those there are a lot of good deals on EBay, too.
                      Since I got a barely used $3500 treadmill for $300, I was not worried about a warranty. The savings would pay for many repairs. It's a good quality treadmill and it has been problem free so far. You do have a point about delivery and setup. I happen to have a pickup truck and I had to find some friends to help lift it. But again the savings would more than pay for the rental of a truck and a few beers for your friends.
                        Tjoseph: How did you swing that? Also: When I first posted about treadmills, I had no idea there were so frickin many. And shopping for them is kinda like mattress shopping: manufacturers seem to work w/ retailers, enormous disparity between MSRP and "sale" price, and there are just enough differences that it's hard to comparison shop. I may have located one on craigslist: just need the seller to tell me which Sole model it is, come down some and not sell it by payday.
                        TJoseph

I looked on Craigslist. If you find a good deal, you have to call right away and be prepared to pay right away. I missed a lot of good deals because someone got there before I did. Good luck! MTA: Also, I rounded down a little. I actually paid $350 for it and it would have been a good deal at $500 or $600. I didn't negotiate with them. That is what they were asking for it and I was looking for that particular model.

A Saucy Wench

I ended up going with the NordicTrac from Costco. OF course it is still in the back of the minivan for at least another week till we can find another person to help haul it upstairs. I know it isnt the best treadmill out there but one thing sold me. If anything goes wrong EVER costco will take it back.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jill_B

I fly.

I ended up going with the NordicTrac from Costco. OF course it is still in the back of the minivan for at least another week till we can find another person to help haul it upstairs. I know it isnt the best treadmill out there but one thing sold me. If anything goes wrong EVER costco will take it back.
                              You know, I was in costco on Monday and I was thinking about buying it. Once you unload it and use it, please let me know if you like it (the one in my costco wasn't plugged in and it wasn't near an outlet so I couldn't try it out. I should've asked them to bring me an extension cord. I bet they would've let me try it that way). Plus it's got a decent review and the price is good.

Bring it on.

HappyFeat

I have a NordicTrack C2420 which I purchased used with only 75 miles on it (!) for $100. I got it last year so I could still run when it's dark and stormy outside. I think I've got about 500 miles on it and it's been great for me.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.