2013 Gardening Thread (Read 239 times)

Not only that but it has gotten high quite a bit the last decade or so.  When the river crested in 2004 people were talking about it being a once in a lifetime event but then it went even higher twice in the next two years.  I think when Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee went through a couple of years ago that was it for King Cole.

Historical Crests for Delaware River at Belvidere

(1) 30.21 ft on 08/19/1955
    (2) 28.60 ft on 10/10/1903
    (3) 27.24 ft on 04/04/2005
    (4) 27.16 ft on 06/29/2006
    (5) 25.00 ft on 03/19/1936
    (6) 24.80 ft on 09/19/2004
    (7) 22.96 ft on 01/20/1996
    (8) 22.22 ft on 02/12/1936
    (9) 21.55 ft on 09/09/2011

So Rt. 46 was under water.  Wow.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

So Rt. 46 was under water.  Wow.

Not sure when this is from, but yeah, this is a picture of King Cole under water.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I always love dishes were everything possible came from the work of my own hands.

+1.  Reminds me that I will be brewing potato beer soon.

That's certainly something worth bragging about, Ken.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Stoopid double post.

Not at it at all. 

Not sure when this is from, but yeah, this is a picture of King Cole under water.

Wow.  So, to bring this back on topic, how did your garden fare with regard to that?

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

Wow.  So, to bring this back on topic, how did your garden fare with regard to that?

I don't have a problem with water.  I am on one of the highest properties of a development that sits on a rise.  I never even have to worry about water in the basement.  So really the plants just get a good watering when those storms go through.

Wind is another matter as there is not much to block it around my property.  The plants in the garden have at times taken a good beating from the wind.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

And staying on topic....

Tomatoes went in Monday night.  I also have some lettuce and green beans that I started from seed.  Those will go in next week probably.  Gonna wait a little while to put the squash in.

Not at it at all. 

That looks such a gourmet dish.

Little bragging here:  My wife made spinach/mushroom stuffed ravioli with basil chiffonade for dinner last night.  Home-made pasta, spinach and basil was from our backyard garden, can't wait till our tomatos start to ripen.  We go on vacation for two weeks starting next week, I think when we get back they should just be ripening!  We also had a wonderful salad of arugula, baby bok choy, baby asian greens, radishes (all from our backyard garden), grilled onions, olives.  So gdm good   She's the best!

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Prince of Fatness

I also have some lettuce and green beans that I started from seed.  Those will go in next week probably.  Gonna wait a little while to put the squash in.

Lettuce seems to just have stagnated.  I may put them in the garden this weekend anyway.  Green beans went in yesterday.  Now if only the deer will stay away.

Potatoes put on quite a bit of growth since the frost a couple of weeks ago.  I have lots of good looking plants out there.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Lettuce seems to just have stagnated.  I may put them in the garden this weekend anyway.  Green beans went in yesterday.  Now if only the deer will stay away.

Potatoes put on quite a bit of growth since the frost a couple of weeks ago.  I have lots of good looking plants out there.

The lettuce died before I could transplant them.  The deer are leaving the beans alone so far though.  Tomatoes too.  I still need to plant some squash.

I'd say about half of my potato plants are flowering.  In a couple of weeks I should be able to dig up some small ones to have for dinner.

Not at it at all. 

Mustard and relish,

Mustard and onions,

Birch Beer

What I had at Hot Dog Johnny's last night.

No buttermilk though.  Does ANYONE get the buttemilk?

Jeff

sugnim

My lunch today was largely from the garden.  I love going outside & seeing what's ready to determine what I will bring to work for lunch or make for dinner.  I'll apologize in advance for the long list, but here is what we have growing in our garden this year:

5 kinds of tomatoes, 4 kinds of onions, Japanese eggplant, beets, 2 kinds of lettuce, 2 kinds of spinach, kale, garlic, shelling peas, green beans, asparagus,  carrots, broccoli, kohlrabi, zucchini, crook neck squash (summer), delicata squash (winter), strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, cherries, chokecherries, apples, 5 kinds of basil, thyme, mint, chives, oregano, sage, and chickens.  Smile

Feeling the growl again

Time for people to start posting some pics.

I won't be able to tend to mine for a couple weeks so we got it all buttoned down best we could.  Last year I was very aggressive on keeping everything clean, and it has made things a lot easier this year.  Peas are approaching blossom, I expect beans will be in a couple weeks.  Tomatoes seem kind of slow out of the gate but I got them in late.  Put in some strawberry starters for next year.  Got corn in in 3 batches, each 2 weeks apart to spread the harvest out a bit.  Potatoes and pumpkins are going great guns.

Vineyard looks outstanding, I am actually becoming a bit concerned with having enough equipment to handle the yield.  I put in 30 new Marquette vines ~3 weeks ago, and I already had to stake 10 of them up (2-3ft tall).  Our entire sweet cherry crop was ~2doz cherries, tiny crop but a tasty snack.  Sour cherries getting close now.  My entire orchard is doing well this year for the first time since I put it in 6 years ago; the only exception is the peaches which got hit hard with leaf curl, the jury is out on that crop yet.  The black raspberries are starting to turn, I am a bit concerned that they will ripen while I am not able to pick them.

It's nice to step outside before work in the morning and cut lettuce and spinach from a few steps out the door.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I missed the boat this year on gardening.  I had no time, I've been travelling for work.

I don't know if it's worth it to plant anything this far into the season.  Even if I got tomatoes in this week, they wouldn't produce until August.  Dern...

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

I don't know if it's worth it to plant anything this far into the season.  Even if I got tomatoes in this week, they wouldn't produce until August.  Dern...

There is still time.  You could plant squash.  I haven't planted any yet but plan to.  I think that you are right about tomatoes.  Wait until August and you can plant any of the cole crops (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.), which do well in cool weather and would withstand an early frost.

Not at it at all.