HP7 a new thread for people who have finished reading (Read 801 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

trent, what'd you think of it?
    [SPOILERS...] In general, I liked it. Come 8pm with 300 pages to go, I could not put it down and finished around 4:30 am yesterday morning. My guesses? Well, some were right and some were wrong. The Snape thing and RAB were well in line with predictions. The scar was handled very well. Some have had problems with all the directionless wandering at the beginning, but it made muchos sense to me (they really did not know where to start looking AND they were on the run from Nazis, with evil everywhere they started). Some have had problems with the happenstancedness of the ultimate finds, but it was also well handled IMO, since DD or Voldy essentially told them where they all were. Plus, as Harry as said over and over, so many of his victories were the result of part-luck (which is likely a universal truth anyway). I liked the hallows, although I wonder why they were not hinted at in an earlier book. I thought she'd do more with Sirius and was led to believe that Lilly's eyes would have a greater role than they did. The conversation with DD near the end was a bit odd, although I liked the take on Voldy squirming like a sick animal in the corner. Question: How did the Elderwand become Draco's? I did not follow that. note: spoliers will continue...
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How did my predictions turn out? 1. Dumbledore is dead, but has a horcrux. The act of creating a horcrux in and of itself is not evil, rather it is the killing that is required. When you kill, your soul is ripped. We learn in book 1 that he "defeated" the dark wizard Grindewald in 1945. We do not hear about Grindewald in Azkeban, so he likely killed him. You can take your ripped soul and place it in a horcrux. Fawkes is the keeper of his horcrux and this is why he is always around and why he flies away crying at the end of book 6. Dumbledore may return in book 7. This would also explain Dumbledore's "look of triumph" after the triwizard tournament when he learned that Voldy had returned, information confirming that horcruxes work. - BIG NO 2. Yeah yeah, Harry's scar is a horcrux. That is an old one, is consistent with the prophesy, and is pretty cool. It also explains the connection between the two. - YES 3. RAB is Regulus Black, who we know was close to Voldy, and then turned away and vanished. The horcrux in Slytherin's locket, which was replaced in the cave by a throwaway locket with a note, is the same one that we saw in book 5. Likely, Kreature has stowed the locket with his stash of Black family valuables. - BIG YES, but not the whole story 4. Dumbledore had been to the cave containing the locket before. The locket was hidden under a potion. That suggests to me that he originally went there with somebody who knows a thing or two about potions. This is why Dumbledore trusts Snape; Snape likely helped Dumbledore the first time they went into the cave to destroy something of Voldy's. The entire description around Dumbledore's death was Snape killing him in front of Harry and Malfoy (witnesses) so that Voldy would think Snape was on his side AND that Dumbledore was out of the way. Snape's look of hatred was because he did not want to kill. - BIG NO 5. Sirius was not killed by Bellatrix's curse (which in the book was not even avara kadavara, unlike the flick) but rather crossed the veil which likely separates life from death. Even in the movie, he seemed to float away rather than drop dead like Cedric did. He is now in the after-life or something like that. We will hear from him again, perhaps through the two-way mirror he gave Harry. - BIG NO 6. Who knows who will die, but Hagrid will be among em. Just sayin. - BIG NO
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How did Neville get the sword?
          ha, i've been meaning to go back and reread just to answer this question for myself. as i read it the first time, i was like "wait, what? ...oh yeah, that's probably how" but i don't remember how it happened. the lily's eye thing-- i think it was emotionally important more than anything else, mainly in the context of snape's character development/redemption (his last words: "look at me"-- so he could die with harry's eyes-- which is to say, lily's eyes, being the last thing he ever saw in life). his love for lily is what kept him from becoming an evil being. lily was his redemption.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If Voldy had not killed Lilly, would Snape have remained a Death Eater?

Burninated Peasant

This was my biggest question. It's my wife's turn to read it, so I can't go back and figure it out, but I was very curious how it got from Griphook to Neville. I thought the reasoning for Draco to get the Elder Wand was that he had disarmed Dumbledore at the end of the previous book. You had to "defeat" the previous owner (like Dumbledore vs. Grindelwald), not necessarily kill them. Dumbledore was defeated at the point that he was disarmed, not when he was killed by Snape (which was really not a victory for Snape anyway, since it was pre-arranged with Dumbledore).

Burninated Peasant

I wondered about the Hallows not being hinted at in an earlier book as well. You would think that JKR could have worked the fairy tale into an earlier book without it being too obvious.
                  I think the elder wand thing was a bit tricky to follow how control of it got passed along at times. Gregorovich got it by???, then Grindewald stole it from him and jumped out the window, then Dumbledore beat Grindewald but did not kill him, then Draco beat Dumbledore but didn't kill him or even keep the wand as that was left with Dumbledore's dead body. Somehow the wand was then able to keep track of the fact that Harry beat Draco whilst they both had different wands so that when Voldy then tried to kill Harry the wand refused at the first attempt and only killed the Voldemort soul part of Harry, then at the second attempt Harry used another spell against Voldy which bounced the killing spell right back at him. At least I think that is what happened. Wink As for Neville getting the sword didn't Dumbledore say something about any true Gryffindor being able to pull the sword out of the hat when they need it so must have been some other majic that linked the two items together to get around that problem of Griphook having it at the time.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Click Wait, yes, the hat! I cannot remember, who had the hat burning on their head at the end. Was it Neville? Good point. The hat could have delivered the sword to Neville or another Griffindor. Elder Wand: Gregorovich said he never had it was he lying?) Grindewald did have it DD defeated Grindewald, got the wand Yes, Draco (defeated) DD so he took ownership, but the wand physically stayed with DD Voldy stole the wand, but it was still Draco's (although I believe at this point it was Harry's since Harry had defeated Draco) Voldy tried to take ownership by killing Snape. He did not realize Snape was not the owner. Voldy tried to kill Harry with the wand. He failed for these reasons: 1. He and Harry were linked, so Harry could not die unless Voldy died (the opposite of the prophesy) 2. The wand belonged to Harry (maybe) 3. The wand did not belong to Voldy 4. Harry, as DD explained shortly after, still had some power over Voldy from when their wands initially merged in HP4

My dogs are fast, not me

As for how Neville got the sword--look to the events that happened to Harry in "The Chamber of Secrets". Fawkes brought the Sorting Hat to Harry, and Harry found the sword in the hat. Dumbledore later told him as long as one person remained loyal, the sword would appear for them. Now for "The Deathly Hallows". Neville rejects Voldemort's offer to join him, telling him to "Go to Hell." Then he starts the rallying cry of "Dumbledore's Army!"--proving where his loyalty lays. Voldemort drops the Sorting Hat on his head, intending to use it as a torture device....and instead, the Sorting Hat retrives the sword for Neville, in reward for showing his loyalty and bravery.

Robin

A little off topic, but: was anyone else dissapointed in the epilogue?
                        2009: BQ?
                          Gregorovich said he never had it was he lying?) Grindewald did have it
                          Wasn't Gregorovich the one who saw a young Grindewald smiling and jumping out of the window though? I thought that was when it got stolen from him.
                          A little off topic, but: was anyone else dissapointed in the epilogue?
                          Yes, very. It felt like it had been stuck on at the end because some fool thought the ending wasn't happy enough otherwise.
                            As for how Neville got the sword--look to the events that happened to Harry in "The Chamber of Secrets". Fawkes brought the Sorting Hat to Harry, and Harry found the sword in the hat. Dumbledore later told him as long as one person remained loyal, the sword would appear for them. Now for "The Deathly Hallows". Neville rejects Voldemort's offer to join him, telling him to "Go to Hell." Then he starts the rallying cry of "Dumbledore's Army!"--proving where his loyalty lays. Voldemort drops the Sorting Hat on his head, intending to use it as a torture device....and instead, the Sorting Hat retrives the sword for Neville, in reward for showing his loyalty and bravery.
                            YES that's right i'm not back up to the burning hat scene in my re-read yet! thanks!
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep. Just reread. Neville clearly pulls the sword out of the hat. Don't know how I missed that the first time.