Going (Half) the Distance (Read 936 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

They make it sound like 13.1 miles is just a quick jaunt around the corner. They also forgot to mention that disney gives out Goofy awards to people who run the 1/2 on Saturday and the full on Sunday.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They make it sound like 13.1 miles is just a quick jaunt around the corner
        Heh, makes one wonder if the author of the blurb has actually ever run a half. I'm sure once I've completed a full marathon that the half will seem easy, by comparison, but it's still a long way to run in a single day. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

That really wasn't my take on the article. I think that they're just trying to say that HM are growing in popularity.
            They are stating that the half is becoming more popular but because it so much easier then the full is how I took it.

2012 goals

The half is a lot easier than the full.

Runners run

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I will second MikeyMike, and even go to on to state that a half is way more than twice as easy as a full (for me, 16 miles is about twice as hard as 13.1). I'm not saying that a half is easy, but that a full is that hard. I can wake up any morning and run a half, whether I've trained or not. It might hurt a little, but it's doable. Because of the hormonal issues that have to take place in my body for distances over about 15 or 18 miles (or whatever, depending on whether I'm running in my body or yours), waking up and running 20 miles takes me at least a few months of consistent training. Then I have to add another 6.2 miles onto that.
                  Didn't mean to start anything. I'm sure that a half is much easier for people that have trainned properly for a full. Just like a 5K is way easier for me than a 10K. But for the rookies in the world like myself either one is REALLY hard. I wish I could get UP in the morning and run 13 miles anytime I wanted. I'm still months away from that You guys have worked really hard to get to that level of fitness and it is very impressive. I know how hard I have worked just to be able to run 6 miles.

2012 goals

"Run enough half-marathons, and soon you'll be ready for the real thing." I ran 7 last year -- do I have to keep training for Steamtown or can I just do it now?
                    2008 Goals
                  • Run 1250 miles
                  • Get down to 135!
                  • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                    • Run enough half-marathons, and soon you'll be ready for the real thing."??????? NO WAY. The half is only a baby step towards the full. And there's a giant leap around mile 16-20.
                      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        Depends. Some hippie named Jeff won a marathon in his debut at the distance, never having run more than 13 in training before that.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I will second MikeyMike, and even go to on to state that a half is way more than twice as easy as a full (for me, 16 miles is about twice as hard as 13.1). I'm not saying that a half is easy, but that a full is that hard. I can wake up any morning and run a half, whether I've trained or not. It might hurt a little, but it's doable. Because of the hormonal issues that have to take place in my body for distances over about 15 or 18 miles (or whatever, depending on whether I'm running in my body or yours), waking up and running 20 miles takes me at least a few months of consistent training. Then I have to add another 6.2 miles onto that.
                          I'd believe it. I ran ~16 miles as my longest run in prep for my first 25k. I think that 16 "easy" miles were in some ways tougher that my first HM race. Partly due to much warmer weather, but I'd believe that there is some point between 13.1 and 16 where my body "gives me the finger." Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten, You crack me up. Big grin My body gives me the finger every morning when I get out of bed.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, You crack me up. Big grin My body gives me the finger every morning when I get out of bed.
                              Oh, my body gives me the finger all the time. Yesterday I blew off my planned easy 4 miler because I think even my middle toes were flipping me off. The finger when getting out of bed is a given. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

va

Big grin Big grin Big grin