Who doesnt listen to music while running? (Read 3009 times)

sethf11

There is a top 10 songs list for running out there and there are some good songs on it. For me I can't listen to music and run. I'm a no music person, no matter how far the run. I just fade my mind out and run. I have no problem hitting or holding pace. Who else runs without music? Am I the only crazy minded person?

I love music, but I don't want to listen to music when I am outside running. I do when I am on the treadmill. Plus, I don't think it is exactly safe to listen to music and run at the same time. I didn't even listen to music and skate at the same time. But, that was because I landed on my iPod the only time I did, and it really hurt.

I look my best blurry!

I usually train with music but I haven't raced with music since Sept and I don't miss it. I have run a few other times without it but it is a habit that is hard to break. After almost being bitten by a dog I run with one earbud.

I switched a few months ago to mostly audiobooks actually. A bit of entertainment, but much lower consistent volume so it's a lot easier to keep a higher level of awareness over what's going on around me. I don't think I'd race with anything even for those it'd be allowed, both for safety as well as missing out on interacting with other runners or spectators, etc.

~J

The King of Beasts

i dont run with music.

I am running tomorrow, who's coming with me?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When/where?

When I run with A1, I run with music.  Particularly after he has eaten cold chili from a can.

Queen of 3rd Place

When I first started out running, it really helped me mellow out and slow down, which in turn made it possible for me to keep at it for the long run. It's been roughly three years since I stopped, come to think of it, I honestly don't remember why I stopped.

Ex runner

Feeling the growl again

Never.  Too distracting.  Though I watch TV on the treadmill.

Nothing against people who prefer to run with music, except coeds out for a solo run on a dark street at 11pm in Ypsilanti.  That's just dumb.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

keeponrunning

When I started, I would sometimes wear my Ipod, especially on "longer" runs.  I stopped because a lot of races, esp. trail ones, do not allow/recommend music during races.  I now cannot listen to music, as it bothers me.  I find I can't get lost in my thoughts when I have music in my ears. The funny part is, I have no problem tuning out music when doing work, etc.  

And this is coming from someone who's life, besides running, is largely made up of music.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

bblack

i only listen on treadmills

I never listen to music. I at one point tried listening to podcasts, but it lasted all of a week. Maybe I'll try it again some day. If I have to run on the treadmill, I'll have the TVs on, but only because they are there. I've logged 99% or more of my mileage without any listening device.

I'd like to get back to listening to podcasts. I feel like I'm being more productive if I'm learning something while running.

i only listen on treadmills

This is my current music situation.

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.

I sometimes do and I sometimes don't.

I listened to educational podcasts on long runs - it makes me feel productive.  Last year I tried running in races without music and I am going to continue as I think I ran better without it. 

Now that I'm injured though, I have been listening to DJ Steve Boyett high bpm podcasts while cycling on the stationary bike.  I find they work wonders to keep my energy level and rpm high. 

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

A Saucy Wench

I dont even own a device that would allow me to listen to music while I run. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7