Who doesnt listen to music while running? (Read 3009 times)

BeeRunB

I listen to talk podcasts about different topics (like Endurance Planet) while training on the treadmill, but not music. I'm  a musician, and it drives me crazy to listen to something that is not in rhythm with my running. Outside, I don't listen to any devices, just the outdoor sounds. I like to run on a bike trail, and think it would be dangerous and irresponsible of me to listen to an Ipod while running there. I can barely hear the bikes anyway due to the wind, and listening to music diminishes the field of hearing even greater. It doesn't take much to make a mistake and step in front of a bike. I owe it to the others on the path to keep as aware as possible. My experience in races is that the Ipoddians cut in front of me more often than "nudists", though it happens from both. Generally, if I am passing another runner, and it is tight, I will say "passing on your left" and often the Ipoddians don't hear me. Those who don't think it decreases your range of hearing should speak to an audiologist. It decreases it greatly--it masks. If you leave one ear open, that alone will decrease your sense of the direction sounds are coming from, if music is playing and masking in the other ear. Socially, i never initiate talk with an "in-session" Ipoddian, whether it be during a marathon or before or after a race. It feels rude to interrupt someone's private world, and I do think in-session Ipoddians are telling me that they want their solitude. Nothing wrong with that. I'm a big fan of solitude.

e454545rt

I prefer to run without music, but I'm faster with it.

BeeRunB

Why do you think that is?

e454545rt

I guess it's just running to the beat of the music. I'm not sure. It also helps not to hear me huffing and puffing from trying to run, haha.

I prefer to run without it though only because I also like hearing what's going on around me. Plus it's more calming.

I'm not a very efficient runner so I think the music just helps me keep things steady and I tend to not worry about my pace as much, which probably means at points I'm running faster than when staring at my Garmin worrying about heartrate and all that.

There is a top 10 songs list for running out there and there are some good songs on it. For me I can't listen to music and run. I'm a no music person, no matter how far the run. I just fade my mind out and run. I have no problem hitting or holding pace. Who else runs without music? Am I the only crazy minded person?

So this means that I'm not crazy because others also run without music.

BeeRunB

I guess it's just running to the beat of the music. I'm not sure. It also helps not to hear me huffing and puffing from trying to run, haha.

I prefer to run without it though only because I also like hearing what's going on around me. Plus it's more calming.

I'm not a very efficient runner so I think the music just helps me keep things steady and I tend to not worry about my pace as much, which probably means at points I'm running faster than when staring at my Garmin worrying about heartrate and all that.

Very interesting--thanks. No worry=quiet mind. I had an epiphany during the last 4-5 miles of the Sugarloaf USA marathon in 2006 about quieting the mind. I was slowing down and was having every single negative thought one could have in a race. I became aware of my thoughts and decided to just shut them down and focus on racing someone who just passed me. I ended up running the fastest miles of my race in the last 3 miles.  I realized that mental strength for me is the ability to quiet and refocus the mind under stress. In this ability, I am still on the level where you can call me Grasshopper, and yet to have snatched a pebble from the master's hand, or leave the rice paper runner unscathed. I've had moments, though. Cool

PDoe

Never do.It's too distracting. I prefer the focus on what my body's doing. If I want a temporary distraction there' so much world to look at. I think it was Yogi who said "You can see a lot by observing" or something to that affect.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I listen to talk podcasts about different topics (like Endurance Planet) while training on the treadmill, but not music. I'm  a musician, and it drives me crazy to listen to something that is not in rhythm with my running. Outside, I don't listen to any devices, just the outdoor sounds. I like to run on a bike trail, and think it would be dangerous and irresponsible of me to listen to an Ipod while running there. I can barely hear the bikes anyway due to the wind, and listening to music diminishes the field of hearing even greater. It doesn't take much to make a mistake and step in front of a bike. I owe it to the others on the path to keep as aware as possible. My experience in races is that the Ipoddians cut in front of me more often than "nudists", though it happens from both. Generally, if I am passing another runner, and it is tight, I will say "passing on your left" and often the Ipoddians don't hear me. Those who don't think it decreases your range of hearing should speak to an audiologist. It decreases it greatly--it masks. If you leave one ear open, that alone will decrease your sense of the direction sounds are coming from, if music is playing and masking in the other ear. Socially, i never initiate talk with an "in-session" Ipoddian, whether it be during a marathon or before or after a race. It feels rude to interrupt someone's private world, and I do think in-session Ipoddians are telling me that they want their solitude. Nothing wrong with that. I'm a big fan of solitude.

I too have learned to ignore the iplodders, and to just not try to treat them as fellow runners -- they just don't hear you, and it seems fair to deduce that they don't want to hear from you.  I originally would try to treat them as fellow humans, with greetings and all, but it just doesn't work -- they generally don't hear you, or it frightens them.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

Never do.It's too distracting. I prefer the focus on what my body's doing. If I want a temporary distraction there' so much world to look at. I think it was Yogi who said "You can see a lot by observing" or something to that affect.

I never do while running outside, sometimes if I'm stuck on a treadmill.

Funny I read the quote, and first thought you were referring to Yogi Bear, and I said to myself, self that's more like Yogi Berra, ohhhh.. that is who PDoe meant.

motiontraxx

Naughty spammer...very bad. Be gone, now.
                      runnerclay

Consistently Slow

90% of the time I do not run with music.Jimmyb has some interesting  music on his(http://jimmybrunelle.blogspot.com/ site.Written and preformed by him.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

music while running throws off my pace.

Goals For 2011:

sub 2:30 800m

Sub 6:00 Mile (PR 5:34)

Sub 20:00 5k

250 Mile Club

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Music is the best way to regular your heart rate. Just be careful not to mix up your 5K race playlist with your easy run playlist.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

northernman

Fight The Future

I'm definitely faster with music, but I am trying to wean off of it. Mostly because I've developed some really annoying otitis externa in both ears, and I am determined to let them dry out and recover. (But I miss my "Wait Wait" podcast on Sundays Cry)

But I think it's interesting that the USTAF rules say you can't have an award if you were listening to music. It must actually make you faster!

So... whilst I hesitate to contradict people, I'm kind of perplexed by this "I'm faster with music" idea. In any race you go to it seems that the fast people don't have mp3 players - if it worked you'd presumably see some fast people all ipodded-up?