In need of a Moral compass - Running bandit. (Read 1203 times)

Just Happy to Run

DON'T FORGET THE BODYGLIDE!!! Shocked
    Jason

2010 Goals
    • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
    mikeymike

I want to help her. Any thoughts?
      Hmm tough one. But I'm having a hard time connecting the votes on your outfit to raising money for the orphanage. Unless, like American Idol, people will vote by texting the word vote to 99505 (for Dorothy), 99506 (for Scarecrow), 95507 (for Cowardly Lion) etc. with $5 being added to their wirless bill automagically. So I'd say just wear whateve you want and then send her a check.

Runners run

Hmm tough one. But I'm having a hard time connecting the votes on your outfit to raising money for the orphanage. Unless, like American Idol, people will vote by texting the word vote to 99505 (for Dorothy), 99506 (for Scarecrow), 95507 (for Cowardly Lion) etc. with $5 being added to their wirless bill automagically. So I'd say just wear whateve you want and then send her a check.
        HA. Sorry, I skipped some details. She will show, say, three pictures of me on the website. People will get to vote on the outfit and each vote costs $10. For example, here is what they did last year, and they raised $10,000: http://www.littlestlamb.org/marathon.php I told them I do not want to blog on my training or have a giant front story.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

DON'T FORGET THE BODYGLIDE!!! Shocked
          Russ, You have no idea how vile I'd look in that outfit. No idea.

golddaveberg

I'm sorry if the "Bandit" topic has been over-played on these forums. If it's any consolation my actions and moral compass HAVE been swayed by this thread. I would suggest anybody contemplating pre-meditated race theft to do as I did and ask the race director. I am shocked that people feel this strongly against it though. People in the university setting audit classes all the time and don't have to pay but they don't get credit. They even take up a seat. The student next to them is paying, but the student next to them is also getting credit and a degree. A bandit runner doesn't get a time, doesn't get a place, doesn't get any bragging rights. Assuming they're respectful and self-sufficient - They add and experience the atmosphere without detracting from other paying runners. Would it be a different story if this was a small 5k with a bad turnout of 15 people and to have an extra head makes the race a little bit more exciting?
              Wow ... That is just wrong Angry At least he is sure no one will draft off of him. Begs the question ... at what point does public indecency begin? My vote is this guy in the picture. MTA --- Thank god you did not get that coming a few seconds earlier from the front also. By the way this is an awesome outfit for Female runners only!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

...Thank god you did not get that coming a few seconds earlier from the front also...!
                Here you go: Any other rec's? I think Mikey's idea of cutting a check and being done with it is a good one, but I def can't come close to the amount previously raised.

I am shocked that people feel this strongly against it though. People in the university setting audit classes all the time and don't have to pay but they don't get credit. They even take up a seat. The student next to them is paying, but the student next to them is also getting credit and a degree. A bandit runner doesn't get a time, doesn't get a place, doesn't get any bragging rights. Assuming they're respectful and self-sufficient - They add and experience the atmosphere without detracting from other paying runners. Would it be a different story if this was a small 5k with a bad turnout of 15 people and to have an extra head makes the race a little bit more exciting?
                  Glad you sorta saw the light. but Audit classes are not the same. Do those students sign up properly for the clas ... yes. What if 200 students just decided to show up in a class that was designed to hold 100 ... do you think would adversly effect the class. In regards to 5K the answer is no! Does not matter the size of the race and/or its cost. If you want to run in a pay for race race then pay else do not run ... end of story. I just paid $20 to run with my 10 yr old son in his first 5k, did I want the cotton t-shirt? (No); Did I really need to get official time glory of seeing a 36:59 (Hell No); Did I feel like I was even running a race (No); but i paid my fee, wore my bib and ran/walked our way to his first 5k. It would have been easy under your logic to short change the race, especially since I already paid for my son and daughter (Buy 2 -- get 1 free right).

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Here you go: Any other rec's? I think Mikey's idea of cutting a check and being done with it is a good one, but I def can't come close to the amount previously raised.
                    Wow thanks .. .To quote Sr Lopez .... "I may kick that guy in the Nuts" !

Wow thanks .. .To quote Sr Lopez .... "I may kick that guy in the Nuts" !
                      You're welcome. By the way, "sr" is not for "Senior." I made the same mistake a while back.

so now everyone finally agrees: 1. Banditing is wrong no matter what size the race. 2. Pirating music is only wrong if the band isn't signed to a major record label.
                        Purdey

Self anointed title

She will show, say, three pictures of me on the website. People will get to vote on the outfit and each vote costs $10.
                          Moral compass needed! Can I vote without paying?

Moral compass needed! Can I vote without paying?
                            Given all the great advice you've given me, I'm more than happy to buy you a vote or two. I guess I'll just go with tech clothes of different color schemes. All pink? Stevie can I borrow something fabulous?

kcam

I'd be willing to bet that many of the folks who pony up triple digits for NYCM, the rnr series, etc are doing it for a heck of a lot more than simply the time, the medal, and the shirt. It's about the experience. I can't quantify "the experience", and it is why these threads suck because it gets people sniping at each other for the dumbassest of dumbass reasons. It is a fucking event that other people paid fucking money to fucking run. If you want to fucking do it without fucking paying, have fucking at it. I don't care. Unless you are the bandit next to me, and then I might kick you in the nuts.
                              Dayum! SRL drops the goofy facade! If you did this you would ruin my bandit experience even though I've never bandited a race and would never do so as I see no point in it. I once got to a very popular, largish local race too late to get a chip/bib. When I got to the table the people manning the registration station said that they were out of Bibs and timing chips but I could still run. They would take my money and I would even get a Tshirt - just no time. WTF? What would be the gawdam point? To get kicked in the nuts by SRL cuz I didn't have a bib? To have the 'experience' of the race? Fock that. I asked for and received my money back and didn't run the race (and didn't get kicked in the nuts, whew)
                              xor

Ken, dude. 1. I would not literally kick anyone in the nuts. 2. I only get miffed at bandits. Your situation is not banditry. How would I know the difference? I probably wouldn't. See #1. 3. Read down a few more posts and you will see that I wasn't and am not/amn't/aren't as miffed as the faux-fucking tirade seems to indicate. Again: if I was really miffed, I probably wouldn't invoke Peter North nor the riff from Planes Trains & Automobiles. I *have* however been near bandits in a race who self-righteously claimed their bandit status. I suppose in an effort to extra-stick it to the man (?). I dunno. I suspect most people are pretty quiet about banditing. This louder type might get the kick in the nuts. Except they wouldn't. Probably.