PRP Injections - My Experience (Read 697 times)

bhearn

Thanks.

kcam

Me too, Bob.  Hope it gets better with this therapy.

MTA:  not 'Me too' as in I'm getting PRP therapy but Me too in that I also hope it works out for you!

bhearn

I just ran across this new report from PM&R (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation). Haven't read the whole thing yet, but this seems encouraging.

http://www.prolotherapy.com/pdfs/PRP-with-US-guidance-to-tx-tendionopathy-(2013).pdf

Ostrich runner

My wife has had quite a bit of PRP and prolo therapy with good, but not miraculous, results.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Any updates from those of you have had PRP done?  It was recommended by a sports ortho I saw yesterday, but quite frankly I don't have the $$$ to spend on it so will continue with more conservative treatment for now with the new PT I have, as well as go back to my chiropractor for cupping and adjustments since that helped in the past.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

bhearn

I recovered fairly quickly after the PRP. Since then my running has really taken off. For a couple years after the injury I would still get a tight/stiff hamstring through maybe 20 miles, but it would always fade after that. Since then, it's completely gone.

I still can't say for sure whether it was the PRP or just time that did the trick. But it certainly didn't hurt.

SMART Approach

I have a similar exoerience/response to bHearn. Upper hammys not really a major issue anymore since my bilateral PRP injections in late 2012.  Never thought it could be possible. With that being said I continue to do a lot of core, hammy and glute work and pre hab before runs. I get bouts of soreness but nothing that does not bounce back. I feel I still need to be aware and stay in a prevention mode with strength work and not overtraining or taking rest as needed.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

bhearn

I feel I still need to be aware and stay in a prevention mode with strength work 

Same here. I will be doing deadlifts for the rest of my life.

ChristineO

I had two PRP injections last July (over a year ago) for a 3 cm tear in my hamstring semimembranosus tendon.  It had been torn for about a year and a half (at this point, we had not yet done an MRI to diagnose) - and I continued to run, ride, etc and do a LOT of different therapies.  Finally got an MRI and was told if I didn't do something NOW, it would tear from the bone.

The injections - done a week apart, were super painful. I was actually unable to walk for a day or two after.  I hobbled around for close to 3 weeks, and by week 5 and 6 was finally able to walk normal again. I insisted on PT at 6 weeks (which was not part of their protocol).  But I felt I needed to be proactive and do SOMETHING.  The six weeks were basically about me doing NOTHING so it could heal.  By week 8 I was running a tiny bit and very slowly.  It was about 6 months before I could actually run and walk pain free.  Any speed work hurt, so I slowly started to incorporate it.  I also slowly got back to running trails and hills.  A year later - I'm finally feeling really good!  Still not quite as fast as I should/could be - but logging longer miles with no pain (up to 17 miles - but that's always been my max on technical trails).  The speed is coming along.  It was a long road - but worth it.  Along with the usual PT, I was getting Graston and massage to help the process along.

So - was it the PRP that helped?  Or the fact that I was in so much pain I was forced to limit my activities for a good time? I'm not sure - but whatever....it was worth it.  Still not back riding horse as much as I'd like, as the seat bone is a bit tender yet.

On a side note - my insurance BCBS did NOT cover this and each shot was about $230. It's still experimental in humans.  We have done this procedure a LOT in my horse showing/riding world and I've seen how well it worked with the horses.  So I was totally ok having it done on myself. I do hope to never have to go through the procedure again. The pain was so intense  with the injections, that I left a pool of sweat on the table where they worked on me!

SMART Approach

Christine, did they not numb you before the injections? I had bilateral. I felt nothing on one side. On the other side, Imwas fine fore a while but then freezing wore off or something happened where it hurt like heck. The doc was surprised and asked me to hold for another 30 sec until done. I had a lot of soreness for a few days like I just did lunges lr squats after a year off but then soreness subsided. I was running within 14 days but she said I could run in 7 days. I guess my point is we are all different and it should not be an extremely painful procedure.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

ChristineO

Tchuck - they did not numb me.  Perhaps a bit of something numbing on my skin (nothing deep inside though)....but as that needle went in (I was watching on the screen), and got near the tear, right by my seat bone, it was so intense! And as he pushed the serum in, it felt like my seat bone was going to explode!  I do have a high pain tolerance, as I can sit through tons of Graston and other painful procedures. But this was off the chart!  I know I walked out of there just fine - but within an hour or so......it's like everything blew up.  I felt like I couldn't move my leg and it hurt a ton to do so.  I believe I had about 3 days of severe pain, before it subsided a bit.

It's crazy how everyone has a different experience, and how the docs even have different guidelines.  A gal I know, had the same procedure two weeks prior to mine - at a different facility.  She felt no pain during her injection (she only had one).  And they didn't give her restrictions and encouraged Graston.  My doc didn't recommend PT - but told me to do NOTHING for at least 4 weeks.  Well, I was so sore and crippled up, I couldn't do anything. And my doc said NO to Graston, but encouraged cross frictional massage.

I find it interesting to hear all the different results and programs.  In the end, I'm thankful it worked!

Perhaps another factor is how long the injury had been there, and the severity of the injury.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had to.  Also - my seat bone was insanely sore for about 6 months if not longer. I could not sit on my horse for at least 8 months, because that seat bone was tender.