Ma'nakWane 5K (Read 868 times)

So after taking up running again last summer after a many years lapse I ran in my first ever 5K on Saturday. The Ma'nakWane Memorial race is not in Hawaii though - its on "Indian Island" Maine. We arrived about an hour before this small race and met lots of welcoming folks, but the weather was grumpy - about 30 degrees and mildly snowing. So most of the participants were high school tracksters and U Maine students - there were about 30 people more like me, and there were about 50 or 60 walkers. The route figured eight-ed around the small island, beginning and ending at the community center. So the race informally begins and I'm in the middle of the pack and we fly off. I definitely ran too fast for the first mile trying to keep up. I felt pretty badly after two hills when I got dropped by the students but when I looked at my watch at mile one it was 9:45. I have never ever run that fast. Mile two was way slower (perhaps because of the heart attack I almost had) and I just started feeling good on a nice downhill at the end of the race. My unofficial times were (1) 9:45 (2) 21:05 oops (3) 31:45 on pace 5K 32:40 I'm really pleased with the time, now my computer tells me I can aim for 1:07:00 for my first 10K (early target race in June). I think I'm more of a natural mid distance runner - maybe next year I'll go for a half. I'm pretty proud of my progress since last June (15 pounds gone) and now I'm going bump up that mileage. Cheers A PS best post race lunch - shumai and Dragon rolls

Recalculating...

You'll ruin your knees!

I have never ever run that fast.
      Can never say that again! Way to go on the race! Good luck in June! Love the pic in your profile..."my new home"? Tell us more! What's the story? Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice job! Gotta watch out for those wacky kids in those first miles -- they drag you through to a PR, but you pay for later! Nice post race meal, too.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Great job!!! Cool
          ---- Cynthia
            WTG! congrats Big grin and yeah, I looked at your profile pic...BEAUTIFUL!

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, you could totally do a half marathon this year, too! I did my first 5k last June and by Oct. did my first HM. Never ever thought I would ever run more than 3 miles at a shot when I first started running--now I chuckle at what little faith I had in myself. Great work on that race! I hear that going-out-too-fast thing. I do it in nearly every race, it seems. One of these days I'll learn my lesson.... Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

va

Congratulations on your first race! Well done!
                  "my new home"? Tell us more! What's the story? Lynn B
                  Husband and I moved to Maine from New York City (my home) about 5 years ago - its gorgeous here, but there's no good Chinese food. Also, no walking like in NYC - hence we must run! Thanks all for the encouragement. A

Recalculating...

derek

I definitely ran too fast for the first mile trying to keep up.
                    Congrats on your first 5K. Soon you'll be hooked like me. I also find the start of the race to be tough. It's hard to hold back when you see everyone speed off.

Derek

Congrats! ... and yeah, great post race lunch! Smile
                      2009: BQ?