hows my pace? (Read 1332 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I welcome you guys to give some feedback on the following. As many are probably aware, I have been doing MAF training, but this week have stopped it and started strength and speed phase. I went to the track; first speed session in months. We did 8x800s with 1min recovery. I averaged over the 800s 2:53 - 5:46 mile pace. I would just like some feedback about what this tells me about my current level of fitness, anything you can advise really - vo2,predicted race times for 5k and 10k perhaps. I am just a little lost as to what to do with this data and what it actually tells me about where I am, and if I worked out well. Many thanks in advance.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Dave

Eddy, it might help if you posted average heart rates during those intervals (along with your measured max and resting) Just toying around with the McMillan pace calculator, it seems to point to a 5K time around 17:30 and a 10K time of right around 36. Other than that, I can only tell you that it is much faster than me.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Slow-smooth-fast

Eddy, it might help if you posted average heart rates during those intervals (along with your measured max and resting) Just toying around with the McMillan pace calculator, it seems to point to a 5K time around 17:30 and a 10K time of right around 36. Other than that, I can only tell you that it is much faster than me.
        How did you work that out? No way could I run them paces for them races. Remember we had one minute recovery in between, as they were intervals. And when you look at race/pace calculators, do they take in accoutn how hard you work, because for the intervals I worked hard, so would they give me an accurate reflection? All I really am aiming for this year is a sub 40 10K

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(I don't buy the 17:30 for 5K either.) I've done 2x1600 at about 6:00 each. Your 8x800 at 2:53 workout sounds substantially harder (heck, I'm gonna try that sometime this summer -- sounds fun). So, it stands to reason to me that you should be able to run 5K faster than me -- my PR so far is 20:12 I think. Also, looking at your log/PRs, I'm sure you can beat your mile PR (ha, that didn't any genius to figure out) I ran 3x1600 at about 5:50 each (I didn't complete them, too fast for me) with a guy who has his 5K under 19:00 now, so that sounds like it might be a close point of comparison, if I were smarter and could figure out how it compares. Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

I adjusted the McMillan pace calculator to where it recommended your average 800 pace as the interval pace for 800 repeats. The 10K and 5K times came out of that. Your times are not too far off what I ran when I was your age (I had a 3 mile split of 18:15 enroute to a 39:30 10K). Those times were on way less mileage than you're running now. You may surprise yourself.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

You can't work backward from intervals to race paces, but that's a damn solid workout, Eddy. What were you doing that workout in before your big base build? And what were the reps? Were you getting faster, slower or running even splits? I think a sub-40 10k is in the bag. You'll likely be aiming for something much, much faster than that this year. Just my .02.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

> (I don't buy the 17:30 for 5K either.) Caveat: I've not been running long, and only extrapolating from my personal experience. Perhaps I'm way off base. Heck, I surely hope I can work up to that workout, and then work down to 17:30 for 5k myself -- I'd be very happy Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Slow-smooth-fast

You can't work backward from intervals to race paces, but that's a damn solid workout, Eddy. What were you doing that workout in before your big base build? And what were the reps? Were you getting faster, slower or running even splits? I think a sub-40 10k is in the bag. You'll likely be aiming for something much, much faster than that this year. Just my .02.
                  These have got substantially quicker, before pace i could do these at 6:02 pace average. All my splits were even give or take a second. The actual session was not strictly 8x800. It was more difficult that that actually. It is what we call 1:30min reverse. You run round the track for 1:30 and then he blows the whistle and you turn around and ideally if you have paced yourself you get back to the start of the return 1:30. Last interval aI actually covered 900 metres:5:22 m/mile, where I gave it my all. (I was even grunting in the final 100m as I heard the coach counting down from 10) I averaged over my 8 intervals of running 832 metres, which works out at the aforementioned pace. Coming to think about, it, it would be quicker than that really if we didn't have to stop and reverse ad build up speed again. For info. I was all over a guy who ran a 40:12 a couple of weeks ago.He said I did a great session seeing as though I had been 'off' (no speed training) for a while. Incidentally regarding the mileage, I am drsmatically cutting that down now, I have moved into this stage. I am concentrating on avoiding injury and working super hard on hard days, and very very easy on easy days ready for them. Keep the comments coming guys.

Scout7

It tells you that you can run a 2:53 800 right now. What was the purpose of this session? What are you training for? I'm not saying it wasn't a good session, it was. Those are great times. But why are you doing 800's? What's the reason behind running this workout? You have a coach, what does he say about your numbers? You don't need to worry about your VO2, unless you're using that as a way to set up your training paces (which you aren't). You're getting wrapped up in numbers that, ultimately, aren't really meaningful to you.

Slow-smooth-fast

It tells you that you can run a 2:53 800 right now. What was the purpose of this session? What are you training for? I'm not saying it wasn't a good session, it was. Those are great times. But why are you doing 800's? What's the reason behind running this workout? You have a coach, what does he say about your numbers? You don't need to worry about your VO2, unless you're using that as a way to set up your training paces (which you aren't). You're getting wrapped up in numbers that, ultimately, aren't really meaningful to you.
                      Sorry bout that scout7, I do like numbers. As far as I am concerned, I go to the track as it is outlined as a speed session. We do something different every week, always tough interval sessions. You know more than me, so perhaps you can tell me the benefit. From my pov, I believe it helps me get used to lactate build up as we are running for 3mins each time, and the recoveries are short. Also it helps me get my legs used to working at a higher turnover. Apart from that I just go because it is fun, meet some great people, and I feel great, if somewhat drained after the session. Here is my weekly training plan now which is getting me towards a race in March over 10K. Fri: Long - 10-14miles Sat: Hill Repeats - Very steep incline(1min up and 1min down including recovery) Sun: Day Off Mon: Easy 8 miles Tues: Track Wed: Easy 6 miles Thurs: tempo run in middle of 8 miler How is this do you think? Any advice which will be more beneficial for my goal to get a better 10k time would be appreciated.

That looks pretty good. I'd warn against doing hill reps every week unless you can be really disciplined about not doing them too fast. Maybe alternate that with hills one week and some long cruise intervals or easy-to-medium fartlek the next? Also, and this depends on the individual to some extent, but I'd do a short easy jog on Sunday (if you have time and are not prohibited by religious observances etc.) of even 4-5 miles--really slow like a minute per mile slower than normal easy pace--instead of taking the day off. I find that helps me recover better and continue to build base. But really I'm splitting hairs. Nice schedule.

Runners run

Dave

That looks like a really solid training plan. You've built a great base (perhaps abbreviated but the miles are solid and you showed great gains). Now you're integrating two hard days that are complementary (both tempo to work LT and hill work for strength). I'm willing to go on record now that if you can avoid injury, you'll go under 38 minutes in your 10K. As you get closer, you should really experiment with your tempo run pace and see what you're capable of.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Slow-smooth-fast

That looks like a really solid training plan. You've built a great base (perhaps abbreviated but the miles are solid and you showed great gains). Now you're integrating two hard days that are complementary (both tempo to work LT and hill work for strength). I'm willing to go on record now that if you can avoid injury, you'll go under 38 minutes in your 10K. As you get closer, you should really experiment with your tempo run pace and see what you're capable of.
                            Thanks for that, I will keep you posted. I will be sticking with this plan, and if I feel any twinges whatsoever, I will sit back, observe, reassess and then move on. I am not going to risk injusry. I m running wisely now, I am not in a hurry, and I know time is the best thing. 38minute 10K: wow, thats 6:06 m/mile. A bit of a pipe dream I think at the moment, hard to visualise, but hey 16months ago I coulndt even run for 2 minutes without stopping - I think a lot of it is mental.

Scout7

It's hard to judge if something is appropriate or not without having an idea as to your goals. If you were training for an ultra, I'd say there was probably not a whole lot of need. Hence the reason I ask these questions. I know you like numbers. I have no problem with that. But there are things that are useful, and things that aren't. Your MAF number is useful, since that is how you base your training. Your VO2Max isn't, since you don't use that to base your training off of. The one thing I don't agree with is the downhill running. I think the downhills should be a gentle slope, and you should focus on turnover, not speed. The uphills should be steep, but the focus should be on driving up them, and it should take you a fair amount of time to reach the top. The goal is to improve your stride length and turnover. Your training is going well. I think you'll do just fine when you hit your goal race.

Slow-smooth-fast

I have just given one of the ideas a go. I did 5x1mile, with 2:30 recovery. I did them all round 6:27 pace, though the last one I did in 5:55. How do these fare?