Waiheke is in my bones (and race pic)... (Read 659 times)

Now that was a bath...

Well maybe not my bones - but deeply settled in my Achilles tendon. I tried two recovery runs since the race. The first was mentally hard but stretched out my sore muscles nicely. The second my achilles was very sore but within a few minutes it felt better so I kept on going. When I reached the midway point and turned around however, it was agony to start running again. I tried another km thinking that the pain would disappear like it did on the first leg but it just got worse. I had to walk/limp the last 2k home. I had been having trouble with my Achilles since I came back after the knee injury and had been icing it often before the race. I think that I really need to lay off the hills for a while! I have decided that I am going to risk madness by not running for four days and I am icing every two hours, using anti-inflammatories and doing gentle massage too. There is no swelling and I am not in pain now unless I try to run. I wouldn't call it an injury, but the pain suggests inflammation and I know that my body is telling me to rest. Apparently this sort of pain is common after running lot's of hills. Just thought I would update y'all as to why I am not running at the moment. Oh - and here's a pic of me during the Waiheke Race. The man behind me in the orange shirt and the woman behind him in the blue vest were with me for the last few miles. I was determined to beat the lady in blue (which I did) but I now realise that not only was she part of the much longer race - she was also much older than me (hey, I only saw her back until the finish line). This was at about 8k I think - who knows - it's all a blur, like the pic which is unfortunately a scan! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You look badass. You would have passed me early on, too! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You've got the right idea. Rest up & let nature take its course. Nice photo. A race is a race. There's no shame in beating an older runner. I ran a half marathon in the Fall & I can't wait for next year's rematch with the ladies who won the 60-64 & the 65-70 year old division. As for the man who won the 70 year old men's division, I smoked him.

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks for the update, I was wondering where you were! Good to hear you are laying low for a few. Good luck with the AT! Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Good to hear your going to take a few days rest!!! Hopefully things are feeling better ASAP!! Oh great picture!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wingz

Professional Noob

That's one determined runner! Big grin Rest up well!

Roads were made for journeys...

Froggy13

Hi Claire, How are you doing? It's Lyn from Saturday at Waiheke! Hope your achilles is feeling better, the rest will do it good!! Have to admit my legs were suffering I've only done one run and 2 bike rides since but at least the stiffness has gone!! Thanks for telling us about this site it's ace, only problem is I plotted our runs on it and found that they are shorter than I thought!! It also proved that the hills around here are not hills they are pimples so I need to find some to train for next years run!! Are you aiming for the 25K run?? I see what you mean about the hills on that run, Col said he's glad he didn't see that before he ran!! Sorry we lost you at the ferry on Saturday, Ian lost his ticket and we caused chaos trying to find it!! I hope you got home ok, we travelled back on the Saturday night cause I needed my own bed!!! Do you fancy the Tough Guy/Gal race in Rotorua? I'll let you know when the entry is open for that, it's a good laugh if nothing else!!! Take care, take it easy and don't rush things, you did brill on the race and your poor legs are probably still in shock!!!! Be good, Lynxx

Slow-smooth-fast

nice pic...you look strong. I like you will be taking some time out, reluctantly that is. Looks like I have developed shin splints. Not gonna risk exacebating them. I begrudge taking off the time, but it will serve me better down the line.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Now that was a bath...

Lyn!!!! My Waiheke buddy! I am so pleased to hear from you. Firstly, thank you for making it an enjoyable day. I don't know what I would have done without your company prior to the race or without your 'group' to hang out with afterwards. Tell Col from me that he is officially a God. I was at Maraetai beach yesterday and you could look out at the whole length of Waiheke including the terrible peak that the 25k runners have to tackle. It hurt just looking at it! I would still love to run the 25K next year but I guess we will have to see where the next year's training takes me. I checked out the Tough Gal website as soon as I returned and it is definitely in my schedule for this year. The photo's on the website were amazing, I want a piece of that. In the immediate future I think I will do the Devonport Classic Fun run on March 25th as I want to do an 'easier' race and it has a couple of interesting sections including two beaches and the Naval tunnel. Then maybe a half in May and one in July with the Auckland Marathon in October provided I can stay injury free. You know that race was hard! The next day I was telling my husband about it, particularly the bit at the end when I was struggling up the hill past the shops and I burst into tears! Even thinking about it made me cry. I think that the whole thing was quite overwhelming for me. I struggled with an injury to get the training in and this race became really important to me. My pride in finishing is huge Smile I am glad that you are recovered too. Hey one last story. I can't remember her name but the woman that started at the front of our race that you recognized from winning the Half Marathon, the one that got placed (was it second or third?) in the 12k. I sat next to her on the ferry but didn't recognize her. She asked how I did - 'Pretty good' I said with some pride 'I did the 12K in one hour 10 minutes, did you run today?' 'Yes' she replied 'I did the 12k too and I did it in 58 minutes, slightly slower than I managed last year'. Then I came up with this really stupid comment 'That's a really good time though, are you disappointed that you were slowly than last year?' Doh!!! I can't believe I said that. Of course she wasn't disappointed she was one of the winners! I felt so foolish when I recognised who she was. She must have thought me a complete dork! I contacted Ian about when the times would be up for us to see on the website. He said late this week or early next week. They know how to torture us don't they! Thanks again for being a great race buddy. Did you read my Waiheke race report? I'd be interested to know how it compares to your experience and I think that Col should write one so that I know what next year might bring me. Claire xxx
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Finished!

Claire - that's a fantastic race photo Smile It looks like I'll be doing recovery time with you. My shins are still misbehaving. I wish it was post race rather than enroute to one! Congrats again on your wonderful accomplishment!
                      Walk + Jog = wog.
                      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                      dillydoodles

Claire, I'm astonished at how fit you look! A week or so ago, when your ticket arrived, you mentioned that you had only been running for 9 weeks. You're slim and toned and look (and run) like a veteran runner! It's taken me 6 months to lose the jiggle and start to develop strong-looking thigh and calf muscles, LOL! Congratulations on your race. Enjoy your 4 days of rest. You've earned them. ~ Arlene
                        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

That's an awesome picture Claire! Congrats again on your great effort!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Claire, I'm astonished at how fit you look! A week or so ago, when your ticket arrived, you mentioned that you had only been running for 9 weeks. You're slim and toned and look (and run) like a veteran runner! It's taken me 6 months to lose the jiggle and start to develop strong-looking thigh and calf muscles, LOL!
                            I've been running close to a year and my body still looks the same as it did when I started. I've never had defined leg muscles (not even in HS when I was a tiny, athletic thing), just miserable cankles. Poo. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dillydoodles

I've been running close to a year and my body still looks the same as it did when I started. I've never had defined leg muscles (not even in HS when I was a tiny, athletic thing), just miserable cankles. Poo. Tongue k
                              Kirsten, how can you say that?! You look great! I know I'll never have legs like a dancer but hopefully if I keep running [and doing squats and lunges *uggh*] maybe someday I'll at least look like a runner :-) ~ Arlene