opinions/advice wanted (Read 403 times)

Dean75

i am a novice ( several 5 k's, 10 k's and 3 HM so far in the past 2 1/2 to 3 years or so). My next HM is in 4 weeks. the past 3-4 weeks , i have been running 10 miles  3-4 times a week. this past week I was sick in bed 2 days straight, then swamped with work, then kids activities filled up my weekend so it is now Monday night and I havent run since last Sunday morning. My question is: What do I do now? Hit it hard the next 3 weeks? the next 2? I have never gone a full week without running leading up to a HM and am unsure what to expect. Will I be dead tomorrow on my run after a full week off? Have I lost a lot of my endurance and will suffer a huge setback? Sorry for the rambling- just looking to hopefully draw from someone's experience. Thanks

Hi Dean

I'm not really qualified to give advice but it look like you want some pretty quick feedback...so chalk this one up as an opinion....

I'll also assume that when you say you are running "10 miles  3-4 times a week" that you mean you are running 10 miles at a time, 3 or 4 times a week for a total of 30-40 miles per week and not 10 miles total per week.... sounds like it, but just checking.

Based on what you have posted, if I were you I wouldn't worry about anything; you've had a week off and there's every chance it'll do you as much good as it will harm. Ease in to your run tomorrow and see how you feel. You'll likely be fine. Then just carry on whatever your plan is for the run up to the race. I would not hit anything hard.

There are many more folks on this board who are way more qualified than I to help you fine tune your last 4 weeks before the race.

If you get back off your run tomorrow and have more questions come and post them. It would really help for you to share more info on your training history if you do that. Do you have your log online here at RA? Could you make it public?

Good luck tomorrow - enjoy your run.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Dean75

Thanks Matt- and yes- 10 miles at a time- a slow, plodding time 10 min/mile, but comfortable...thats why I am worried about the interruption this close to the end . and I am the guy that didn't run for a week and gained 7 pounds, even though while I was sick I didnt eat. I was just hoping to hear from someone who may have had a similar experience. Thanks- I will just go out tomorrow and see what happens. I am hoping I can pick up where I left off( fingers crossed)

I'm right there with you on the slow & comfortable. For me that is even less reason to be concerned.

I put on weight when I don't run; 20lbs in 12 weeks over this summer! Now I am having to run it off... I am sure beer has nothing to do with it. Wink

I have had similar training experiences (missing a week in the month or so before a race) and worse. This year I did not run for the 4 weeks before my April HM, not a single mile, and I certainly was not in the habit of running 30-40 miles a week before that. I still got round and I still had fun.

I honestly expect you to be fine tomorrow and on race day - go out tomorrow, run easy, then please come back here and tell us how much fun you had and that you're good to go! Smile

2017 Goals

Dean75

My run this morning was ok- I was actually just a hair under 10 min/mile. legs felt heavy and had slight side cramps half way through, but the last 4 miles were surprisingly easy. seems you were right, a week off wasn't a big deal and may have helped! whew. I feel no different after the run today than I usually do. now to get my big fat self back on track the rest of the weeks. Thanks for the advice/your opinion.

And oh yeah- Beer doesnt cause weight gain if you only drink it on days that end with "Y".

Glad it worked out Dean. Good luck with your race in a few weeks.

BTW - if you are looking for a Half Marathon Group for a bit of training support and encouragement you are welcome to come join us here:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/hmt/forum

2017 Goals