Vocal Cord Dysfunction (Read 105 times)

shu_runner

Anyone managing VCD and running?

I was diagnosed with this a few years ago.  Doctors originally thought I had asthma, but after testing discovered I had VCD.  I've been managing it pretty well over the past few years, but recently I've been having a lot of difficulty.  The difficulty mostly comes from trying to do any tempo or interval runs.  I feel like I'm running straight into a brick wall.  I find myself having to stop during every tempo run or interval session due to difficulty breathing.  Even if I considerably slow the pace, it still doesn't seem to help.  And the breathing difficulty will linger throughout the day after a workout.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Do you have any suggestions on managing VCD while running?  Tried speech therapy?

Thanks!

JanaLamb

Though I'm not familiar with vocal cord dysfunction (but now I'll look into it and find out more about it), I've read about someone who "outran VCD", as she put it. Here's the link.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Daydreamer1

I had a lot of problems with my voice. For years it would fade in and out, especially if I was tired or under a lot of stress. Numerous Doctors wanted to check me for polyps on my vocal cords.  Switched family doctors and complained to the new one about it and told him about the polyp theory. He laughed and told me to try using Zantac.  He explained that a lot of vocal cord problems come from small amounts of acid reflux that occur at night and burns the cords.  I tried it and had good results within the first two weeks.  I know it may not sound like the problems are related, but if you do have some reflux, that will damage the tissues and easily could cause the vocal cords to spasm under the stress of running.

JanaLamb

Though I've read that Vocal Cord Dysfunction isn't caused by reflux, I find your post helpful. It's an entirely different condition but something to be aware of. Have you experienced reflux while running?

I had a lot of problems with my voice. For years it would fade in and out, especially if I was tired or under a lot of stress. Numerous Doctors wanted to check me for polyps on my vocal cords.  Switched family doctors and complained to the new one about it and told him about the polyp theory. He laughed and told me to try using Zantac.  He explained that a lot of vocal cord problems come from small amounts of acid reflux that occur at night and burns the cords.  I tried it and had good results within the first two weeks.  I know it may not sound like the problems are related, but if you do have some reflux, that will damage the tissues and easily could cause the vocal cords to spasm under the stress of running.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog