Swing your arms (Read 1088 times)

I've really been trying to relax my shoulders. Question: When you swing your arms, are you swinging across your chest or straight forward? I've been noticing my arms when I get tired. They are close into my body, and they look like a chicken.. So, I've been trying to swing, but not sure about the correct swing. Yes, I run like a chicken!!!! Blush

- Anya

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Your hands should never cross the center line of your body. In general most people don't/can't go straight forward and back, but as close as you can get to that is the goal. The faster you run the more forward and back range of motion there should be.
        The object of swinging your arms is to counteract torque on your torso so technically you'll get the most benefit by swinging them across the front of your body to prevent it from rotating. Swinging them forward and backward will accomplish nearly the same thing but you should avoid swinging them side to side which is wasted motion. Subtle tricks like this or like relaxing muscles which aren't directly used for running only have an impact on very long runs where the energy savings have time to add up, but it's still a good habit to get into. Tom
        sluggo

John

I've had coaches tell me the swing is forward and back - never side to side. I generally keep my elbows back, sort of. This help me stick to the forward and back motion and seems to open my chest for better breathing. I was also told to keep my elbows bent at a 90 angle but my fingers and hands "go to sleep" when I do this, so I keep a larger angle most of the time. Here is the pdf file my coach referred me to... http://www.runners-corner.com/runningformkines.pdf

John
          www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Hawt and sexy

I say do what is comfortable to you. Even some elites have nasty arm swings. One woman from China did not swing her arms at all. Just do what comes naturally. We will worry about the rest when you get close to breaking that world record and need to shave off a second or two. Kk?

I'm touching your pants.

I'll have to dig it back out, but "Programmed to Run" has a good description. I'll try to post more later.

Double IPA Please!

I have to agree with Willamona..Do what feel best for you. I find that if I focus on form and the way I swing my arms to much, it becomes a chore and no longer feels like an enjoyable run to me. I will say that I am a big offender with carrying my shoulders too high, this is something I have been working on because what tends to happen to me is that I come back from a long run or race and feel so tight that I can hardly stand it. However, when I have been out this week focusing on my shoulders I seem to get so caught up in that that it just does not feel natural to me anymore- does that make sense? Half way through my run today I just said *bleep* it and ran my own damn way.. Tongue Wink

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

I started doning a yoga/strength class that is 45 minutes of weights and resistance bands... and then 45 minutes of yoga. Once a week... The instructor does alot of excercises that work the muscle such that you get that burn... I really noticed it in my shoulders durring the class. I would get tired sholders at the end of my long or intense runs especially in my 1/2 marathon races. HOWEVER... after my last 1/2 I didn't have any soreness/tiredness in my arms. I attribute it to just running more and also the yoga/strength class.

Double IPA Please!

My mother swears by yoga- she feel it really helped her in her running. I should really look into that. Sorry for the hijak-

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

However, when I have been out this week focusing on my shoulders I seem to get so caught up in that that it just does not feel natural to me anymore- does that make sense? Half way through my run today I just said *bleep* it and ran my own damn way.. Tongue Wink I could not have said this any better myself. This is how I feel now, every time I run!!!!! I may have to look into Yoga...

- Anya

I've had coaches tell me the swing is forward and back - never side to side. I generally keep my elbows back, sort of. This help me stick to the forward and back motion and seems to open my chest for better breathing. I was also told to keep my elbows bent at a 90 angle but my fingers and hands "go to sleep" when I do this, so I keep a larger angle most of the time. Here is the pdf file my coach referred me to... http://www.runners-corner.com/runningformkines.pdf
                        great article! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Anya

Junior Amphibian

Swinging my arms seems like an unnecessary waste of energy, unless I'm running uphill. I try NOT to move them at all. But I do agree that keeping them bent too close to your chest can be problematic, because it can impede your circulation during long runs.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Swinging my arms seems like an unnecessary waste of energy, unless I'm running uphill. I try NOT to move them at all. But I do agree that keeping them bent too close to your chest can be problematic, because it can impede your circulation during long runs.
                            It may seem like a waste of energy but it's not. Proper arm swing converts rotary motion of the torso to forward motion so it's not wasting energy, only redirecting it. It's only wasteful if over done as in too much arm swing or done improperly as in side to side arm swing. Tom

skinnycaponesugar

I see one of the other mums from school when I'm out. She's very lean and strong. What I notice the most when you see her coming is that her elbows come up almost all the way in line with her shoulders. I think she's building up her arm muscles that way, and using the momentum to lengthen her stride. She seems relaxed and focused otherwise. Does that make sense to anyone?

Love, Run, Sleep

I thought swinging your arms is for balancing when you run or walk. So, no one can keep one swing for the whole run. If you lean forward your arms would be closer to your body and if you lean backward your arms would be sticking out further. If you run slower your arms would swing less and if you are kicking in down the stretch your arms would go crazy. As a conclusion, swing the way you want or swing the way it needs.