25th Applefest Half Marathon - Saturday 10/6 (Read 902 times)

I’d already run it twice, so I knew the Applefest HM is an HTFU sanctioned course. There are few level stretches, most of the course is “New England rollers” that serve as warm-ups for the ridonculous killer hills lurking just beyond mile nine. I met trentman359 and we headed North for Hollis, NH. The forecast called for unseasonably warm temps and it was certainly accurate. At the 10:00am start it was 72 degrees with 76% humidity and nary a cloud to be seen. About 1000 individual runners and 100 relay teams headed down the high school driveway and turned onto the roads of Hollis. Aerial shot of ½ mile mark taken during 2005 race I felt pretty good, and thought I had gone out at a good pace. I was pretty horrified to find that I walked past the first mile marker at 7:00. Knowing that this was too fast under the best of conditions, it was way too fast for this course on a hot and humid day. Warning! Warning! I knew I needed to slow my pace, but it remained too fast. My recent races have all been 5K, and it seems my cruise control was stuck on 5K pace. I knew I was in deep trouble when my watch showed just over 49 minutes at the seven mile mark. To make matters worse, the temperature had climbed to 76 degrees. To describe the second half of the race as a fade wouldn’t do it justice. In keeping with the weather it was more of a meltdown. It took me 60 minutes to slog through the last six miles, stumbling up the dreaded hills as best I could. By the time I wobbled across the line at 1:50:45 the temperature was up to 79 degrees and I was completely wiped out. But what of trentman359? Glad you asked. It seems I was not the only one holding onto 5K habits. We run a 5K series in Lowell, MA and head for seats on the host bar’s patio after finishing. Finding that there is no patio at Applefest’s three mile mark, Trenton took the only seat he could find. He entered the porta potty as mild-mannered Trentman359, but it was HTFU Man that flung the door open and rejoined the race. Rejuvenated, revitalized, (and relieved) he ran a disciplined steady pace and reduced his PR by 7:16 when he crossed the line at 1:55:08. In the official results I finished ahead of him, but Trent definitely won the day’s bragging rights with a truly impressive PR. And just as importantly, the secret of his success gave me a great post-race laugh when I really needed one. Big grin

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congrats to you and Trent, and great report and pics Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Imminent Catastrophe

Very nice Dawg and Trent. We have an Applefest race too but it's a 5k.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Another Passion

Way to go, guys! On a brutal day, nonetheless!

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Nice job you guys! Thanks for the report with the pictures - you always get bonus points for that.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Nice job!

upcoming races:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good job, boys! How did Trentman do so well even after a potty stop? I've never had to go to the john mid-race. I live in fear of that...I know it would slow me down and likely make my legs lock-up. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WTG! great race! Smile looks like a beautiful course.

Jennifer mm#1231

Great job guys!! Great report!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well on my most recent long run I was struck with that sinking feeling in my stomach. I was on mile 9 and still 3 away from my house. I ended up walking/shuffling back to my house. You could say I'm still worried about this happening again. Which brings us to Applefest. We arrived at the race a good hour before the start, plenty of time for my breakfast and 2 Power Bars to digest . With a half hour before the race we started to warm up. "I think I might have to go to the bathroom," I told Ed. The lines were too long and I thought that maybe I was just scared about a repeat of my last long run. The race starts. I start shuffling along and then I know. There is no way that I am going to be able to run 13 miles like this. At pass the 2 mile marker close to 17 minutes. Closing in on the three mile mark I see a lone porta potty (the only one I saw on the entire course.) I went into overdrive and sprinted to the potty. With my luck someone it was occupied. As I'm standing there waiting a girl pops out from behind some cars, "Just go over there it's way easier," she tells me. "Its not that kind of thing," I replied. Well I eventually got in and evacuated my bowels. As Superman comes out of the phone booth, I came out of the porta potty completely rejuvenated and with a new sense of purpose. I start flying threw the packs. "It must be nice to be fast," I hear from a lady behind me. I must have made up a ton of ground because I pass mile 10 at about 1 hour and 29 minutes. It was then that I realized, to my surprise, that I had a chance at a PR. "HTFU," I told myself. At mile 11 and 12 I started passing people that I had started the race with. These were the same people that were passing me when I was doing the poor man's shuffle at miles 1 and 2. I finished the race with my trademark kick and crossed the line at 1:55:08 beating my old time of 2:02:24. After Ed gave me my water I said, "You know I actually did have to go to the bathroom." We had a good laugh and enjoyed some well earned apple crisp. The law of averages says that I will beat Ed one of these days. Wink Overall another fun race (despite the lack of free beer.) Big grin
                        How did Trentman do so well even after a potty stop?
                        He cheats. Actually, his legs are only 22 years old which means they are still covered under the manufacturer's warranty.
                        The law of averages says that I will beat Ed one of these days.
                        I'm sure Grasshopper never let the old blind guy forget it when he finally snatched the pebble from his hand, and I have no doubt that you will be IMPOSSIBLE to deal with. Someday soon you'll kick my ass and you'll know you've earned it, cuz I aint givin' up without a fight. Wink

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

What is HTFU?

upcoming races:

HTFU. May not be safe for work without earphones.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

What is HTFU?
                              Abbreviations it can be used to mean a lot of things.... Usage of HTFU they are probably using.... Harden The For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Up it can also hold the meaning hold them okay... Tongue

Vim

Got it!

upcoming races: