Stupid sore on heel just won't go away! (Read 440 times)

Nursing student running

Anyone have advise for how to protect my heel while running. Everytime without fail it's open and bleeding after my runs. Bandaids suck, ducktape no good. It's starting to interfere with my distance. Please help!! Undecided
    Goals: 08-09' Buy 2 really good bras. Do NOT fall off the running wagon this school year. Run the Turkey Day 5k. Get upto 20 mpw by New Years. Run 10k Triathalon Half Marathon by next summer. Get into some skinny jeans! (all while eating chocolate.)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you still wearing the shoes that gave you the raw spot? First thing would be to stop wearing them. I've had this issue with several different shoes. If they rub your foot or heel raw they are likely never going to fit well, unfortunately. I've tossed a few hundred $ over shoes that don't like my heels or achilles area. Second thing is to not run for at least 2-3 days. It sucks, but even in shoes that don't cause issues ANY amount of pressure and friction is going to keep tearing that area open...ask me how I know this.... Blush Cry Once you do return to running (not in the poorly-fitting shoes) you will probably want to cover the spot with something like one of those blister pads. They are supposed to stick even on sweaty skin, but they still fall off on me. So I usually put a larger bandage over the blister pad, THEN a slab of duct tape...yeah, duct tape. Even that will sweat off of my skin on a long enough run, but I can probably got 5-6 miles with it staying on pretty well. I sweat a LOT, so YMMV. Good luck with it...that raw skin thing is one of the most frustrating injuries, since it's sort of a non-injury, but it can sideline a person, nonetheless.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'd say there's a pretty good chance the shoe doesn't fit your foot properly. Finding the right shoe can be a very difficult (and like Zoom said, expensive) process of trial and error. Once you find a shoe that does work well for you, buy more and put them in your closet. I have a pair of NB 1061 in the box, and I'll probably pick up another pair soon because they are being discontinued. After you have allowed your heel to heal, you could try using the lace lock feature of the shoe to try to keep your heel snugged into the shoe. Most shoes have the lace lock builit in, but if not you can make one by following the instructions at http://www.newbalance.com/techcenter/#/lacing/ It's lucky that I don't suffer from heel slip, because I don't tie my shoes very tightly. I used to, but I had problems with my feet going numb. You could also try different socks, just be sure to stay away from cotton. Wicking fabrics do a much better job of moisture control. Good luck to you, hope you find a solution quickly.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

#artbydmcbride

Moleskin and tape it good, then wear double layer socks like the ones Wright socks makes. Good luck!

Runners run

I have had the same injury a few times but in my case it wasn't much of an injury or shoe problem, the first was in a pair of brooks axiom 2 after I already had 400+ miles in them. And the second was in a pair of NB 903's after only 50-60 miles. Both times I didn't have much pain but when I took off my shoes I had a nice and bloody sock and shoe. I also ran the following days and just made sure that I had my socks pulled up over where the sore was on my foot. I did use some foot cream on it when not running and tried to wear flip flops for maximum air flow across the area. Oh and yeah band aids never work on the foot while running. I would agree with Zoom and Dawg, if its an ongoing problem switch shoes and let it heal before running again. Blood adds character to your shoes so be proud of those bloody areas. (unless its not your blood) Tight lipped

Nursing student running

Thanks sooo much for the advise. As far as the shoes that caused the prob, they were a cute pair of flat's I bought for work. The damn things cut into my heel within the first hour! So much for trying to look "cute". The next morning I ran a 5k that was paid for a month back, so I didn't want to back out. Ever since its been problems. I just hate the idea of taking days off to heal! I didn't run yesterday and I was in such a bitchy mood the whole day! Evil grin Maybe a few days of swimming to suppliment would work.
              Goals: 08-09' Buy 2 really good bras. Do NOT fall off the running wagon this school year. Run the Turkey Day 5k. Get upto 20 mpw by New Years. Run 10k Triathalon Half Marathon by next summer. Get into some skinny jeans! (all while eating chocolate.)
              kcam

Just to get in a little running while you're "heeling" go to a park with some nice grass (the infield of high school tracks is usually really nice), walk it ahead of time to note obstacles and then do a little barefoot running. Assuming your sore is on the back of your heel and not the bottom.