Sprained foot...any advice? (Read 2361 times)

gninnur22

This weekend during a victory dance gone wrong...I sprained my foot. The doctor stated that it will be a few weeks until I am back to normal. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced a sprained foot. How long will I be on cruches and is there anything I can do now or a week from now to prevent long term damage? I am also pretty depressed with this but I am trying to stay psyched. I had a couple really good runs last week and now I've had to shelve them. Tongue
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Bummer! I've sprained my ankle before, and from that experience I'd tell you it's important to let it heal up right the first time otherwise problems will hang around much longer than they should! (Do you really need to ask how I learned that one?) Perhaps this is a good time to investigate some cross-training? How about some swimming? That's a good one, and if the pressure on your foot makes it painful to swim, you can stick a pull-bouy between your legs and just work the arms. I would guess your doctor would tell you don't run until it doesn't hurt to run. That's what I'd tell you, anyway. If it hurts to walk on it, don't even try to run. When that doesn't hurt, try a slow jog. If it hurts, even the next day, you need more healing time. Give it another week (at least!) before trying again. Remember RICE? (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate) First word there is "Rest." Unfortunate, but true. If it hurts, don't run on it. If it hurts, don't run on it. If it hurts, don't run on it. If it hurts, don't run on it. When you start back up, pretend you're starting out brand new and need to work back up SLOWLY. Your foot may be prone to re-injury if you start out again too quickly or with too much. Good luck! And don't disappear - keep posting here. It'll help keep you motivated while you're waiting. Smile Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

gninnur22

I promise I won't run on it! I am, at this point, even avoiding walking. I think I am going to be doing a LOT of swimming this summer LOL. The elevation seemed to really help. I have had it "up" but last night I slept with my foot at shoulder level and it seemed to really help the swelling. My toes are like sausages. How long were you on cruches for? I have an event to go to in the city Thursday and I was hoping to only be on one. I sprained my foot on Sunday.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

::scratches head:: You know? I don't really remember how long I was on crutches. Until it didn't hurt, I think. Plus, every injury's different... If you're going to an "event," you'll probably be on your feet a lot. Even if you're down to one by then you might want to take two with you. It gets very tiring when you're having to hobble around! And if your toes are like sausages now, I suspect you'll not really want to be on your feet much even by Thursday! If you can, try looking into getting a wheelchair for the event. I dont' know what you're doing, but some places will have wheelchairs for rental or courtesy for older folks (sorry!) and for people who have a hard time being on their feet for long periods of time. It's a little embarrassing, so you might want to make sure your injury is clearly wrapped and visible. Smile Shoulder level is good. "Elevate" really means anything above heart level, to let gravity help things come back down to normal. Are you wrapping with an ACE bandage too? What about anti-inflammatories?

gninnur22

I am going to a post-secondary graduation but it is in the city which means lots of walking because of parking or public transporation depending on what I am up for tomorrow. I think I will take both my crutches. It's my friends grad and she doesn't have anyone else in attendance and she was so happy when I told her I was coming I can't let her down now. If I was in the same condition as yesterday though I would not go. I am in much better condition today but my foot still doesn't look so pretty. I am using an ace bandage which is really good because my arch is swollen too. I haven't been taking much Advil because I am a little anti-pill lately due to some recent allergic reactions that the doctors have yet to figure out. It's not the ASA though. However, that is a smart idea and perhaps it will help reduce the swelling in combination to the ice and bandage. I am adapting quite well to crawling up the stairs but I cannot wait to be off the crutches. Do you find you still have problems with your ankle? The doctor mentioned it's going to be sore for a couple of months. No
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Sounds like your friend is lucky to have such a good friend. Smile I've sprained it twice, now. The second time it really swelled up, and I had bruising all over my foot. It was kind of scary! They say when you've sprained something it's more prone to spraining in the future. I don't know. It does roll on me sometimes when I trip on things (I'm kinda clumsy sometimes!) but it's not given me major problems since. I don't think sprains are generally supposed to cause long-term issues, if that's what you're worried about.

gninnur22

That's exactly what I am worried about. I have something wrong with my wrist which intrudes a great deal. So when this happened I was concerned it may result in the same daily soreness etc. I am taking your advice however and going very easy on myself. I am still on crutches however there is a marked improvement in my foot. Still have swelling and what not. Most of my bruises however are from the cruches LOL! Thanks for the suppot, Big grin
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Bruises from the crutches? Are you tripping over things or are you bruising your arms? Make sure you're not leaning your armpits on the crutches! You can do damage to the nerves that run under your armpits if you lean your weight on them. Instead, make sure your weight is supported through your hands. Think "strong arms." A lot of people think they need extra padding on the top where the armpits go, but if you have them adjusted right and are using them correctly (NOT leaning on armpits!!!) you shouldn't need extra padding. I'm sorry I don't have any good links on proper crutching, but when you stand upright and straight (as much as possible!!!) and the crutches are under your arms you should be able to fit a couple of fingers between the top of the crutch and your armpit. When you use them you shouldn't feel like you're having to lean way over - it should be comfortable. Well... kinda comfortable, anyway! Wink I just worry when people say that they're having pain with crutches (unless they've got a sprained wrist to boot!!!).

gninnur22

My armpits are actually ok. I went to the hospital on my own the day after I hurt my foot and I don't think I was using my crutches properly. I was leaning my elbows in too much. Luckily I stopped doing that. Did you have any "popping" when you began walking on your ankle again? Like something is moving a little. I have a little when I try to walk on my foot now. It doesn't hurt just feels odd. Usually when it happens I just remind myself it's just not ready yet I guess.
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Sometimes it would feel like things were sliding around a little. ::shudder:: That stopped after it healed up. It's been a couple of years now. What I get now is an unpleasant crunching sound, slight discomfort, and things popping if I'm climbing stairs right after a hard run. Actually both ankles will do it, but my previously sprained ankle does it more. I interpret it as my ankles telling me they don't like what I just did and I need to tone it down some. They don't do that after easy or medium runs, only hard ones. How'd the graduation go? You're right that you shouldn't be locking your elbows when using the crutches. If you keep a very slight bend in them that'll help you remember. Are you working with a physical therapist? If you are, they should probably be able to tell you better about what's normal for foot sprains as they're healing. I don't know how long it'll take for popping to go away - it probably depends on how bad you sprained it. I also don't know if it means you should stay off still, since you say it doesn't hurt. What did the doc say? I'm curious. I thought ususally pain was supposed to be the guide on what you did with sprains - haven't heard anything about popping and sliding. If you're able to walk some on it now without it hurting, that sounds like a good sign to me! It's been a week, so I'd be more worried if you weren't seeing improvement! In your original post you said the doc said it'd be a few weeks before you're back to normal. Be gentle with yourself as you ease back into activity!