Brooks PureCadence (or PureFlow?) (Read 5681 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Has anyone worn these?  Review?  I've been happily plodding along in every rendition of the Nike Lunarfly+, including it's predecessor, the Run Avant+ and the Lunarfly+ 2 Trail (which I actually don't love...it fits MUCH narrower than the rest and doesn't work well with a heavier sock for Winter runs).  I really like it and the current version (3) is the best-fitting one, yet.

I'm intrigued by the PureCadence as something to rotate for shorter runs...or maybe even the PureFlow, but it looks like it might be too neutral.

My one big question is fit.  The Lunarfly works for me because it has a roomier toe box than some "wide" width shoes.  I've never worn Brooks in the past, since they don't make a lot of models in wide widths and their mediums were always too snug, but since these are more minimalist shoes I suspect they might have a roomier toe box for better toe-spread.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A. Go to a shoe store.

B. Try using the Shoefitr wizard thingy at Running Warehouse to compare to the reference shoe(s) of your choice.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I will likely make the trip to a legit store if they seem worth a closer look.  How different are the shoes?  Brooks puts them both as Guidance, but RRS and RW both categorize the Cadence as mild stability and the Flow as neutral.  I know this all can be sort of ambiguous, since the shoe I am in now isn't always categorized the same at every site.

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

I have not worn the PureCadence but really like Brooks. My rotation is Brooks Ghost 3, Brooks Ghost 4, Saucony Pro Grid Mirage, and Brooks Green Silence.  The Brooks Green Silence has a very roomy toe box but no stability. Good for races, tempo work or other runs if biomechanically efficient. There is a heel to toe drop of like 5-7 mm (can't remember). The ProGrid Mirage I also really like. The heel to toe drop is less but they have a touch of stability. They are light and also have a nice toe box. My feet are picky with a bunion and have been quite happy with Green Silence and Mirage. I guess this doesn't answer your question about the PureCadence but just throwing out some opinions.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I've never been able to wear Brooks shoes. Way too much arch and generally don't fit my feet. But the Pureflows fit great. But I still like the Kinvaras and have a few pairs of shoes to burn through before I consider buying them. PureConnects are too narrow  -and i do not have a wide foot. Pureflows seem like a bit more substantial and likely more durable Saucony Kinvara. At least until the Kinvara 3 comes out. 

Read Pete Larson's review.

Watch Sage Canaday's youtube video review

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Kinvara is something I'd even consider, but I had a bad experience with the original Guides chewing up my achilles years ago and was told that all Sauconys have those high heel tabs, so that scared me off.  The Kinvara is likely too neutral for me, anyhow.  Interesting that you like the flow as well.

~ Sarah Kay

Interesting that you like the flow as well.

well, it is designed to compete with the Kinvara so there are similarities. It's trying to exploit the one weakness identified by a lot of runners: durability. PureFlow is a wee bit heavier and has more carbon rubber on the sole. Saucony has obviously recognized this as evidenced by the additional carbon rubber on the K3's sole. I only hope they didn't ruin the shoe. But you are correct - they are purely neutral shoes, no stability mechanisms. 

I recently bought my second pair of the PureConnect to start rotating in, and have been really happy with them.  I also liked the PureGrit when I tried them on but liked the feel of the Connect better.  I will probably end up with a pair of the Grits eventually for some occasional trail running.

I would double check the Brooks website; it seems they have actually designed a couple of the shoes to be, um, not neutral, but I can't recall more than that.

My girlfriend tried the PureFlow (I think) and felt they were too narrow (she wears the Asics Kayano in wide) so be sure you have enough room for your toes.

Good luck! The Pure line is great if they fit your feet!

Matt

vdelrosso

I've been running in the flows (no review yet...) and absolutely love them...  They're my favorite neutral shoe yet.  I transitioned to neutral, low drop shoes last year after running my whole life in ASICS.  Hyperspeeds, NB Roads, Newtons, Trailgloves, NB 730s, Pureflow.  I tried the Pure Connect, but they were too narrow - flows are much wider.  Pureflow strikes a great combination of durability, comfort and low drop.  Wide toe box, comfortable - not really a racing shoe as they're a little heavy, but great for training runs.

The new NB 730s are also looking pretty good so far, lighter, much more road feel but less padding...

xor

I have a pair of Pure Cadence... I've only run a couple times in them.  The biggest thing I've noticed?  They are just shoes.  Nothing magic.  They *do* have some structure in them to deal with excessive pronation.  Some people say they fit "like a glove"... others say "they are tight".  I like the way they feel.

The Brooks reps came right out and told me "these shoes are not as durable as some others".  I would not have bought them full price.  They are weirdly spendy for shoes they tell you won't last as long.  They put me into the Cadence as opposed to the Flow because my go-to shoe is the Adrenaline, which is a pretty chunky shoe.  The Flow is between the  Connect and the Cadence.

I know two folks who are wearing the Flows and they both like them.  That doesn't mean much.

I also have a pair of the Pure Grit, but I haven't tried them yet.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The more I read, the more I think the Flow would be the better shoe for me.  Plus it's a LOT cheaper.  $120 is high for any shoe, much less something not tank-like.  I've been spoiled wearing the Nike Lunarfly/Run Avant.  I think regular retail on those is $80, but I don't think I've ever paid more than $70.  I've even snagged them for $50ish.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

It is cheaper.

But that said, cadence is more of a match to lunar fly than flow is. 

You really need to go try these in the store.  "Roomy" is not how I would describe cadence.  Flow is probably similar.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is cheaper.

But that said, cadence is more of a match to lunar fly than flow is. 

You really need to go try these in the store.  "Roomy" is not how I would describe cadence.  Flow is probably similar.

How do they compare to the NB 900 series in terms of stability?  I've run in 902-905 (unfortunately the replacement is not getting great reviews, especially in terms of heel fit.  I was alternating the Lunarfly with the 905...but the 905 fabric actually started wearing out on the inside heel, for some reason.  And I disliked that lock-down liner business).  Those and the Lunarfly are usually categorized as mild stability, though I have also seen them considered neutral by some.  Definitely seems to be a YMMV sort of thing.

~ Sarah Kay

have tried on all of the new Pure shoes from Brooks.   Pure flow has a touch more cushioning, abit heavier (8-9 oz depending on gender/shoe size) & a wee bit wider in the toe box.  I will be purchasing a lighter weight more miminimilist shoe in the near future & the PureFlow is the leader at the moment especially since I am huge Brooks fan.   The Pure Project shoes from Brooks have what they call an inverted heel which gets you more towards the front foot strike.  You can feel this just when trying on.  have a few others planning on trying on at some point before final decision.  goal is to find a shoe that can be situated between my Adrenelines & st 4 Racers & can be used for short/mod distance runs  speed wo/s & races.  The PureFlow appears to fit that criteria.  lighter weight but still some cushioning/durability.

Lazy idiot

I wouldn't walk around the house in my Pure Flow's (low drop makes them uncomfortable to me for anything slower than about 8:30/mi pace, YMMV).  But I sure as hell like to run fast in them.

Tick tock