Summary of walking vs. running study (Read 288 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

This study made some misleading headlines, IMO. I've been seeing headlines along the lines of "walking is just as good as running", however the study notes that you have to do twice as much walking as running (in terms of time) to reap those "just as good" benefits.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/ExerciseFitness/38253?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DailyHeadlines&utm_source=WC&xid=NL_DHE_2013-04-05&eun=g515908d0r&userid=515908&email=arla.hile@scccd.edu&mu_id=5637827

Ex runner

JimR

A dollar is just as good as 10 dollars, you just need 10 of them.

"Walking may be a more sustainable activity for some people when compared to running," he added. "However, those who choose running end up exercising twice as much as those who choose walking ... probably because they can do twice as much in an hour."

People get paid to figure this stuff out? I'm available for a small fee to explain the subtleties of water being wet.

Black-Toe-Nailed

Another groundbreaking discovery that will revolutionize science for ever thanks to the relentless effort of the University of Obvioustown.

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
          then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
          I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

DoppleBock

?

A mile is not a mile.  If I walk 10 miles and keep my heart rate < 80 or I run 10 miles and keep my heart rate > 150, I will get 2 different types of benefits from the efforts.  Some of the benefit will overlap, some will not.

Over a large amount of time - Say 1-5 years, the benefits will become even more divergent.

This study made some misleading headlines, IMO. I've been seeing headlines along the lines of "walking is just as good as running", however the study notes that you have to do twice as much walking as running (in terms of time) to reap those "just as good" benefits.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/ExerciseFitness/38253?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DailyHeadlines&utm_source=WC&xid=NL_DHE_2013-04-05&eun=g515908d0r&userid=515908&email=arla.hile@scccd.edu&mu_id=5637827

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

?

A mile is not a mile.  If I walk 10 miles and keep my heart rate < 80 or I run 10 miles and keep my heart rate > 150, I will get 2 different types of benefits from the efforts.  Some of the benefit will overlap, some will not.

Over a large amount of time - Say 1-5 years, the benefits will become even more divergent.

My conclusion:  Your experience and common sense is worth a lot more than a study by a clueless investigator.

TJoseph

The comments are even better than the article.  PMS now means "Post Marathon Syndrome".

Dr.Dubrawsky

04/05/13

"Running a Marathon,can be dangerous to your health",this is known. In studying this issue,I found that the average runner,is not well  conditioned to the effort invested. This results in increasing  morbidity and mortality associated with this type of sport. Post marathon period of recovery,is studded with opportunities for short term and long term morbidity and mortality. Recently,I invented,wrote and described,the issues associated with the run.The article is titled:"Post Marathon Syndrome:P.M.S.2" Expect its submission and publication shortly. In the meantime,this forum is open for discussion..

Queen of 3rd Place

An interesting study could address the hypothesis that unfit people work hard to invalidate or even stigmatize athletic endeavors.

Ex runner

You mean the way all my coworkers revel in telling me I'm nuts, ruining my knees, and being unhealthy?

An interesting study could address the hypothesis that unfit people work hard to invalidate or even stigmatize athletic endeavors.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Walk-Jogger

The comments are even better than the article.  PMS now means "Post Marathon Syndrome".

Dr.Dubrawsky

04/05/13

"Running a Marathon,can be dangerous to your health",this is known. In studying this issue,I found that the average runner,is not well  conditioned to the effort invested. This results in increasing  morbidity and mortality associated with this type of sport. ...

FAR more people die of heart attacks each year while eating breakfast or shortly thereafter, than die from running a marathon. Therefore, eating breakfast is clearly bad for your health, and should be avoided by the massively untrained masses.

(My personal opinion is that the average eater has not done enough running to support the efforts and caloric intake of eating said breakfast.)

Retired &  Loving It

laurita

hahahahahhahahahahaha

Dr.Dubrawsky

04/05/13

"Running a Marathon,can be dangerous to your health",this is known. In studying this issue,I found that the average runner,is not well  conditioned to the effort invested. This results in increasing  morbidity and mortality associated with this type of sport. Post marathon period of recovery,is studded with opportunities for short term and long term morbidity and mortality. Recently,I invented,wrote and described,the issues associated with the run.The article is titled:"Post Marathon Syndrome:P.M.S.2" Expect its submission and publication shortly. In the meantime,this forum is open for discussion..

The good doctor is clearly suffering from a case of Acute Comma Overuse Syndrome.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A dollar is just as good as 10 dollars, you just need 10 of them.

It is dangerous to rely on unproven assertions like this. This is where scientific study can really provide benefit to our society as a whole.

Please send me one envelope full of ten dollar bills, and another (larger) envelope full of one dollar bills, and I'll share the results of my careful study with you, after I perform it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

?

Things you think should be obvious but some people find a way to ignore.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ymmv

The good doctor is, clearly, suffering from, a case of, Acute Comma Overuse Syndrome.

it's going around