Inaugural Texas Independence Relay (Modal's First Relay) PICTURES ADDED (Read 1477 times)

I am too lazy to insert the pictures where they are supposed to go. I wrote this in a stop and go fashion so it doesn't flow well Tongue Modal’s Texas Independence Relay Experience Intro This past weekend (March 1st and 2nd), I participated in the Texas Independence Relay along with fellow runningahead.com member MBK and his team, The Reluctant Runners Club. This happened to be my first relay experience and also one of the items on my long to do list. Last year when tschepsit mentioned this race, I thought it was a crazy idea to run in a 200+ mile relay broken up over 40 legs plus team run prologue and epilogue legs. I thought anything over a 10K was a little much to run in a day when I first saw TIR advertised. Fast forward, I do not think 200 miles broken up over 8 to 12 people is loony. Few weeks back, MBK had posted a thread looking for a 2 team members and I thought heck I would like to do this especially since most of the initial hard work was done; finding the team members and working through the base level logistics to make sure things ran smoothly. MBK’s company picked up the race entry fee :-). I found throughout my entire experience that MBK had his stuff together as team captain. Okay, I mean really together. Shoot this is a recreational activity and we are having a WebEX meeting and conference call days before the event to finalize everything and discuss pertinent issues such as loose cupacbras on certain course legs. MBK also had a centralized internet site for posting comments and team files which was very helpful in keeping the team on track (some http://www.37signals.com/ software). The Team We had a varied group of people on the team from MBK (ultra crazy dude… 100 mile walker… on a TRACK PEOPLE… CRAZY!!!… and 50Km runner) to people whose primary sport was not running. From what I gathered, only two had participated in relay events before; one did a very similar 200+ mile relay in Maine (I believe) and another did a marathon along the Texas coast (aka as a SHORT relay). We also had 2 van drivers on our team whose sole role was to make sure we were getting where we needed to be on time. They both did an excellent job. Pre-race Friday before the race, the team was led to start protein loading at Krewz Meat Market where I went over board and ordered over a pound of meat (1/2lb shoulder, 1/2lb ribs, and a sausage ring), 4 white bread slices, and 2 sodas. The latter food items were an attempt to balance out the protein with a little carbos. ***Here are some pictures from the BBQ*** We left Lockhart, TX, where we were staying the night before, and headed to Gonzales around 4:20am. We were the first ones to the Gonzales HS football stadium parking where we waited for a shuttle. Shuttle took us to the Gonzales monument square for packet pickup and the prologue leg. ***Some Prerace pictures*** ***Here’s MBK with this slap wrist band which acted as the relay baton.*** Racing The first team left at 6 am with a canon blast. We left 8 minutes after them for the prologue leg. The prologue leg was a nice and easy 1.15 miles, but the humidity was already way up there. I was the last runner to start their legs. My first leg, out of the 3 I was given, was 17! MBK apologized several times that about me starting so late, but it turned out great cause I got to run when it was dark and the temperatures were dropping. The heat, the humidity, and hills were awful for the early legs. Despite these conditions, the team ran well ahead of estimated pace times for the entire race. So what did I do for the first 16 legs? I sat in whatever van happened to be inactive, did a little site seeing, ate plenty of grub, and cheered our active team at various legs. My first leg started in Columbus, TX. I left out a bit too fast for the first mile. I slowed down and had a good run, but I noticed my quads were sore. I think my body was/is still recovering from the previous week’s marathon. Second leg, I wore a different reflector belt with a blinker light on the front and back. These blinking lights were a nuisance. These blinkers came off 3 times during the leg and one of them was completely lost. After my second leg and a couple other active runners ran their legs, we ended up at Brazos HS in Wallis, TX where the inactive van rested up. At the HS, I showered in what had to be one of the hottest showers in Texas. It was so hot I had to squat way down so I would not get scolded. There must be some law out there saying the water must be super hot to keep bacteria levels low. The basketball gym became a place for runners to get some quick shuteye. In my case, this turned out to be 3 hours of sweet sleep until 3:30 am when MBK woke me up. We were in a rush to eat, pick up a member at a near by middle school, and catch up with the active van which was progressing faster than originally expected. We headed off to Southwest Houston where one of our runners worked us into Whataburger for breakfast an hour before they opened the dining area. Thank you Whataburger employee! When we left, this employee got a hounding from his boss. Team met up in Houston’s memorial park for the final van swap. In doing some light stretching, I noticed my right ITB was tender. I assume it was aggravated by running on the slanted roads. My final leg occurred around noon at a park East of Houston. With the primaries in full swing for Texas, there were a lot of signs with Hillary for president out. One of the campaigners put them on the portapotties at one of the leg stops which I thought was real classy. The only issues I had on this leg were a strong head wind and certain sections of the road which were torn up. Dog repellant was suggested for this leg, but I did not see any dogs on the loose. ****Here I am putting it into overdrive at the end of my final leg.**** The runner of leg 40 had run 3 legs already and was complaining about his legs hurting. I was hoping he would give his leg to me, but he went ahead and finished very strong for the team. The epilogue was run by the entire team and did not have well defined started point. We finished a few hours faster than planned and relaxed. Post race food consisted of pizza, candy, water, and soda. Post Race Goodies Technical T-Shirt 2 Pairs of Technical Socks Texas Sized Finisher’s Medal Final Thoughts My first relay was a great experience. I would do another one if things worked out. A long run divided up over a long relay I think is harder than just going out for a single continuous run. For these relay events, your not going to sleep much and there is enough going on that you really do not need an IPOD. I way over packed. I would have done better just sticking with essentials. Over the course of the entire race, I probably ingested more calories than I expended. I really enjoyed getting to meet our team members and members of other teams. One of the funnier team names was Tight Butts and Sweaty Nuts. When they got an award, the host was telling they could not be bashful with a name like that. :-) MBK did a great job with logistics on this race and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. MBK probably has a better idea on how to approach events like this. Thanks again MBK for posting up the opening on your team and letting me fill it. The volunteers putting on this relay event did one heck of a job too especially since this was the first go! If you want to see more on this event, check out http://www.texasindependencerelay.com. Do you want to participate in the 2009 TIR race? The registration for next year begins April 21st!

Vim

Great report Modal. All the guys I run with on Sunday were on the CC roadrunners team. They had a lot of fun also.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon

Another Passion

Very cool, Modal. I really enjoyed reading that. Nice job. Now... I'm going to bed. You're report has nothing to do with that, I'm just tired. Wink

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Great report, Tim. Sounds like you guys had a fantastic time. I may have to sign up for next year. On another note, dude, you ran 10 miles the day after Cowtown? Wow! You've made some major strides in your running in the last few months! Hope to see you at Grasslands in a few weeks if you can make it (we're just running the half) and definitely see you at the Zoo Run. Kudos to Marshall - you sound like quite the organized team captain!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Len

Damn Yankee

I think we need to put together an RA team for next year. MTA- I'm in no way capable of organizing anything like this...

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Not sure I saw the cc roadrunners. Only groups I remember bs’ing with were ESA, Chugga Lugga, and the Piranhas. I guess I did a good job putting you to sleep. Big grin Yes, I (tried to) run 10 miles after Cowtown. I wanted to put 34 miles in before going to TIR, but I let other things get in the way. Not sure I will make Grasslands, sounds like an opportunity for me to do some camping and running. I’ll see this weekend if I can hard commit or not. I hate to spend the money and then not show up. RA Team? If we do have an RA team next year, I definitely think we should consult MBK. The outlay for relays seems to be quite a bit more than your average race, but the experience is worth it. Here’s another long Relay in Texas (San Antonio to Austin) http://www.ragnarrelay.com/austin/index.php

Vim

Burninated Peasant

Here’s another long Relay in Texas (San Antonio to Austin) http://www.ragnarrelay.com/austin/index.php
                This one would be interesting - I would expect the course to provide more variety than the Independence Relay course. Of course, it wouldn't include the Spoetzl Brewery.

Another Passion

Hmm, $234.00 round trip to San Antonio and I have an aunt and uncle that live there, Cassy's mom in fact. Not that y'all would have a slow slug like me on your potential RA team. Big grin

Rick

Hmm, $234.00 round trip to San Antonio and I have an aunt and uncle that live there, Cassy's mom in fact. Not that y'all would have a slow slug like me on your potential RA team. Big grin
                    A great want to meet your fellow RAers from TX. So how many beds and rooms do your anut and uncle have? Oh yeah, open floor space? How early do they serve breakfast? Yes, I think we should stay at their place the night before in an effort to cut down on costs. Big grin

Vim

Another Passion

A great want to meet your fellow RAers from TX. So how many beds and rooms do your anut and uncle have? Oh yeah, open floor space? How early do they serve breakfast? Yes, I think we should stay at their place the night before in an effort to cut down on costs. Big grin
                      Sound thinking there, Modal. I like that! Being frugal in your racing. Big grin

Rick

underdog3

At the HS, I showered in what had to be one of the hottest showers in Texas. It was so hot I had to squat way down so I would not get scolded. There must be some law out there saying the water must be super hot to keep bacteria levels low.
                        I've showered in hundreds of school showers across the country. I'm pretty sure there are no laws, just bad showers. Lots of bad showers.
                          I've showered in hundreds of school showers across the country. I'm pretty sure there are no laws, just bad showers. Lots of bad showers.
                          I haven't really showered in too many locker rooms. It also bothered me that the nozzle was around my upper chest area and there was only one knob which should have been labeled hot water from the springs in hell. Evil grin

Vim

Ringmaster

Two friends of mine just got signed up to participate in the Sunrise to Sunset relay which will go from Florida's east coast to west coast (170 miles total) on March 28 and 29. Like you, they joined an already-formed team for their first go. I'm hoping I'll feel strong enough, and register early enough, to join a team next year--it sounds like such crazy fun! Thanks for posting the pictures. K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

I agree relays are a lot of fun, more of a road trip for adults than actual race. I ran Blue Ridge relay couple of years ago and plan to do it again this year. An RA team for this race would be fun. Our team 2 years ago was from Nashville, Columbus OH and Charlotte NC.