Stupidest Race Mistake (Read 1581 times)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I am sure we have all done it. What was your worst race mistake. Mine was during one of my first races drinking a powerlifting drink mix with whole milk to get extra calories. I NEVER drink milk. Needless to say I spend the first 13 miles on the bike in a lot of distress.
    If you're bored ask why you're boring
      Mine was in 8th grade at a Junior Olympics meet. I was running the 2 mile for the first time and there were only 4 other runners in my age group (who had all run it many times). So i went out trying to keep up with them and ended up setting a PR in the 400m on the first lap!!!! Undecided Yeah that wasn't good. So i got lapped by all 4 other runners and had to run the entire last lap by myself. Cry My dad said he was pretty proud of me cuz most people prolly would've quit.I swore up and down i would never run that race again!! Well to say 2 weeks later, when i ran it again LOL, i made a 2 minute PR and have never been lapped again! Big grin
        Trained 20 weeks for marathon, not missing a workout. Read countless books and articles. Prepared everything down to the finest detail. Donated blood 3 days before the race. Spent weeks wondering why my time was an hour slower than my goal.
        "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."

Lazy idiot

Trained 20 weeks for marathon, not missing a workout. Read countless books and articles. Prepared everything down to the finest detail. Donated blood 3 days before the race. Spent weeks wondering why my time was an hour slower than my goal.
          As you've since figured it out, am I allowed to laugh? That's awesome!

Tick tock

Yeah, I laugh about it too. I am a reverse blood-doper. Actually a few weeks after the race my Father in Law was talking about blood doping and that's when it hit me like DUH!
            "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What was your worst race mistake.
              Running CMM 2008. A week after a 102 mile week. Three weeks after a 42 mile run in an 89 mile week. During Passover. With no carb load. With no carbs on the course. And no sports drink. Constipated. With a load of laxative in me. With a cough. During hot and humid conditions.
              JakeKnight

No fair, K-Cubed co-Team leader. You have to delete that post and put it back tomorrow.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

JakeKnight

And I won't go on and on about my dumbest mistake (who me?) because I've only talked about it 42 times (roughly). The short version is that 2 years ago this week, prior to the 2006 CMM, I was trying to break 4:00 in my third marathon. The first one I really trained for. I pretty much neglected all the runs except the long runs. Worse yet, in the week before the race I figured if a little hydration is good ... a whole week of guzzling water and Gatorade all day long must be better! And if a little carbo-loading is good, a whole week of nothing but huge plates of spaghetti for every meal must be super-duper good! The results were predictable. Almost deadly. And really gross. Finish time: 4:53.

Let's hope the laxitives kick in BEFORE THE RACE.... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

obsessor

going out in 5:04 (fastest mile up to that time!) en route to a 17:31 5k. going out in 5:25 first mile en route to a 2:42 marathon. running 32 races last year. running Hood to Coast last year - but great memories.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've been using the old standby of going out too fast. frankly it's been getting a bit boring. As I'm not a highly creative runner, I think I'll copy of few of these just tto mix my racing up a bit.
                          Setting a goal to go sub 20 minutes in a 5K.
                          JakeKnight

Let's hope the laxitives kick in BEFORE THE RACE.... Smile
                            Speak for yourself. I'm hoping for a mile 15 blowout of epic proportions.

jeffdonahue

In a short race - decided to try to find someone to pace off of and accidentally picking the local track star. Marathon - Boston two years ago. Got to the waiting area at like 8 in the morning and proceeded to down two 32oz gatorades so I could make sure I stayed hydrated for the race. By the time the race started my stomach was turning over on itself like there was no tomorrow. What's that old saying about never doing anything at a race that you didnt do in training?
                                Speak for yourself. I'm hoping for a mile 15 blowout of epic proportions.
                                WAH...... Smile Make sure you are there to catch the " Rick Roll" dance that will surely follow....extra swivel hips required Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"