Who is running the Garmin Marathon 2014? (Read 186 times)

Mysecondnewname

Just wondering who else amongst the RA denizens is going to be out there...

MrH

Is it 26.5 miles long?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I need a like button.

Is it 26.5 miles long?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Wonder how many complaints the RD will get 

Is it 26.5 miles long?

joescott

Is it 26.5 miles long?

Ha ha.  (Nice one)!

I will be out there with the Olathe North Cross Country team as a course monitor cheering for runners and making sure they go the right way and helping any way we can.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Mysecondnewname

Mr. H:  The "H" must stand for "hilarious"! 

Joe:  Is Olathe North manning an aid station?

joescott

Mr. H:  The "H" must stand for "hilarious"! 

Joe:  Is Olathe North manning an aid station?

I'm not sure if we have official responsibility for an aid station.  One of the organizers contacted us to see if we could supply a bunch of volunteers to be course monitors and we accepted.  We'll see what all we have to do!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

Go ONXC Eagles!

Runners run

Mysecondnewname

I'll look for the team when I'm out there.  (17 days and counting!)

I did some recon--the entire course is open (including the bridge on 127th.)  The only part of the course that looks rough is the stretch in front of Mid America Nazarene, as they haven't completed the pathway there.

Anyone else running?

bap

Certified Running Coach
                      Crocked since 2013

Mysecondnewname

Got to meet Meb today since he is sponsored by Garmin--very cool guy!

Very psyched for tomorrow...

doctorjen

How'd your race go, Shuffle?

i missed this post earlier somehow. I was the 4:20 pacer yesterday. I also got to meet Meb, and got a picture with him and he signed my bib!  Rough weather for part of the marathon yesterday, but at least it wasn't hot.

Mysecondnewname

Hi, docjen:

Thanks for asking.

Actually, had a very bad day. i caught a cold this week, but thought I would be OK.   Was cruising at BQ pace when the storm hit with that horrible headwind just as I was going up the first of those 2 big hills around mile 8 and 9--took a lot out of me.   Was able to get back on pace for a couple of miles, but the next hill took me out of it completely.  Started cramping up around 20 and had to do the cramp--walk--jog--repeat death march.

I finshed an hour slower than my last race .  Pretty frustraing/embarrasing (since there were people along the course that were cheering for me), but at least I crossed the finish line.  The marathon definitely won this time.

When things got bad for me, I decided to try to spend the time encouraging anyone I could, so I cheered for everyone who passed me or who was coming towards me.   (I actually think I yelled some encouragement at you when you ran past --were you wearing a red shirt with a ballcap?--would have been around mile 24 or so I think).

Anyhow, I hope to rest up recover, and improve my training for another BQ attempt this fall.

How did your race go?

PS:  I got to meet Meb as well--what a great guy!  So down to earth and willing to to really talk instead of just rushing people along.

doctorjen

Aww, that sounds like a no-fun-at-all run for you. That wind and rain were something.  Right after it stopped raining it was gusting so much it felt like running through a blow dryer to me!

This was actually my first official pacing gig, although I've up unofficially paced several friends in other races. I was a lot more nervous than I expected. In the end, I did a pretty good job with the pacing. The group that stayed with me was feeling pretty good so we did pick it up a little in the second half, so I ended up coming in almost a minute early (4:19:05)   I was doing a fair amount of calling out to folks in the last few miles, too. I was wearing a red shirt and carrying the 4:20 stick, but no ball cap (which I was missing quite a bit when the rain was hitting my face!). Overall, I was a lot more satisfied with this run than last year when I missed my BQ here.  I ran Indianapolis Monumental last fall and did manage a BQ - it's a great course for speed if you haven't picked a fall marathon yet.

I think my next big event will be Psycho Psummer for a 50K attempt in July, and then I'm doing Marine Corps in the fall. I will be serving as a pacer for the double road race in late June here, too, although at a pretty slow pace which should be interesting to pull off.