Core Exercises for Running/Runners (Read 3392 times)

I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately, but I'm kind of adjusting my approach in hopes of better future results:

My question today ---- Do any of you other RA'ers do CORE workouts and if so what types of exercises and frequency???

Should runners be doing CORE exercise???

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

Before every single run I do 50 crunches and 35 pushups.  I've always done that since high school.  Once a week or so (more often if I'm being disciplined) I do a whole bunch of core stuff...like this.

Runners run

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I do 10 pushups and 50 crunches before or after every run and I do a 20 min ab video 3 x's a week.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

30 pushups, 100 crunches (60 normal, 40 side-to-side), 4 times per week.

At least, that's the plan I'm on now.

I like it because it's small enough not to dread so much I avoid it, but enough to make a dent.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

1.  yes, but probably not enough.  planks 2-3 times a week and a few other things.

2.  most certainly. 

yes, runners should do them.

I do core about 3 or 4 times/week.

My wife bought me the McMillan core routine for my bday and I was doing that on a regular basis leading up  to the marathon. I do that and more. 

Not sure how much it helps every day running, but it's pretty easy for runners to lose substantial upper body and core strength with just running.

My son and are are just starting the "one hundred pushups in 7 weeks" program. I'm anxious to see if that's possible given I can't do anywhere near 100 right now. 

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Not sure how much it helps every day running, but it's pretty easy for runners to lose substantial upper body and core strength with just running.

It helps a lot with form and avoiding injuries. I had a herniated disk - not caused by running - but absolutely prevented me from running. After working on my core in PT for 8+ weeks I can tell a difference in my running for sure.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

SMART Approach

I believe core work is very beneficial for runners. I have always focused  on exercises that are tough and cause the client to suck air while doing movement. I am fan of planks and side planks because the whole body is involved. I like the ball crunches where one foot or both feet are on the ground and you are forced to keep yourself balanced. The ball also allows a pre-stretch position before contraction which is of more benefit than floor crunch.

I am really not a fan of a floor crunch because it is an isolation exercise without a whole lot of function other than aesthetics. You don't run on your back. Your low back is planted on floor. While on an uneven ball there is some movement within whole body (stabilizer muscles involved). On floor I prefer, slow elbow to opposite knee bicycles or leg flutters. Research shows more muscle activation compared to crunches and more of body is used.

The above are good, but for running you also really need to do couple things on your feet. You run on your feet so you should strengthen your core while on feet. I recommend walking lunges and squats or one leg squats. If access to machines I recommend the squat and rows below. These are excellent for core and more functional for runners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isq_crIFR9o&feature=player_embedded#

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-do-a-single-cable-scissor-squat-and-row-195151/

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

My son and are are just starting the "one hundred pushups in 7 weeks" program. I'm anxious to see if that's possible given I can't do anywhere near 100 right now. 

my guess is you can double your push-up total. 

I doubt more than 2% of the people who try can go from 20 push-ups to 100 in 7 weeks.  If you are doing 20 now then I'd say you'll peak at 40.  That's no slam on you... just reality.  I gave up after 1 month.  I went from something like 16 to 28. 

Prince of Fatness

I do an hour of yoga twice a week.  Or at least I should.  Lately it's been once a week.  I'm not sure that it makes me a better runner directly, but I do believe that it helps keep the injuries at bay.

Not at it at all. 

Best Present Ever

pushups 3x a week -- I seem to have stalled around week 4, level 2 of the 100 pushup program and basically do that week over and over --  planks (front and each side x2 sets) and those swiss ball things where you pass the ball from your feet to your hands.

I've spent quite a bit of time researching this.

The best routine I've come up w/ that I believe does the most for the least amount of time is:

1.) Exercise ball crunches  (straight and side crunches)

2.) Exercise Bike Crunches (non-ball)

3.) Planks - move from straight planks to side planks for the duration. Repeat for sets.

All of these in some combination of sets and quantity that you can handle.  I haven't found any value in normal sit-ups or crunches and the ball allows the flexibility of stretching the core past a linear position and balance.

I do these everyday unless there is some strange soreness.  The stomach is one of the strongest muscles in the body and can handle daily exertion.  I believe they are absolutely essential to improve as a runner.  If you can't support the simple action of picking up your leg and putting it down, one cannot improve.  I think of it as basic economy improvement.

...and basically what Tchuck said.

And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

my guess is you can double your push-up total. 

I doubt more than 2% of the people who try can go from 20 push-ups to 100 in 7 weeks.  If you are doing 20 now then I'd say you'll peak at 40.  That's no slam on you... just reality.  I gave up after 1 month.  I went from something like 16 to 28. 

Most days I can currently get 30 to 35, sometimes 40 if really rested.   Even doubling to 80 would be a huge improvement that I'd be happy with.

My other core fitness goal is to be able to do 25 chin ups, but I think it's harder to improve at those. I stalled at 14 (15 on a good day).  Perhaps what I should do is just take the push up program and substitute chin ups and try to get to 100. You think that would work?

Most days I can currently get 30 to 35, sometimes 40 if really rested.   Even doubling to 80 would be a huge improvement that I'd be happy with.

My other core fitness goal is to be able to do 25 chin ups, but I think it's harder to improve at those. I stalled at 14 (15 on a good day).  Perhaps what I should do is just take the push up program and substitute chin ups and try to get to 100. You think that would work?

that's good strength.  40 push-ups and 15 pull-ups is great.  Sadly I am more like 20 and 6.  I suppose dropping 10 pounds would help the pull-ups a lot. 

you could have a chance to nearly ace the military fitness tests.  they usually have some variation on push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and 2 mile run. 

kcam

I do planks, bird dogs and excercise ball crunches most days.   I believe it helps to prevent flare-ups of my lower back problems.  The RW article below illustrates these excercises and more.  Ignore the  ridiculous title.

Core excercises