Current vegetarians on RA? (Read 1360 times)

pandajenn19

I found a couple of older threads, but couldn't find anything recent to see who here abstains from meat. I'm not technically veg, as I have about two or three servings of seafood a month. So, I consider myself a pescetarian. I probably have eggs about as often as I have seafood, and dairy maybe three times a week, generally in the form of cheese. Just wondering who else out there limits their animal proteins?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pescetarian here, although I only eat certain fish and no shellfish or crustaceans.
        When I eat meat, it usually is limited to one meal for the day. That said, my meat intake increases when I am traveling, working out of town,with family or if I just go out for a meal. I personally do not have problems with people eating meat (as long as it's not human). I do believe it is a good idea to watch one's intake and consume a variety of food including a large portion of vegetables.

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I personally do not have problems with people eating meat (as long as it's not human).
          Me either. It is my choice, about me. Big grin
          mbk

I was hard core vegetarian for about eight years (I would eat nothing that once lived, so eggs and dairy were OK) but in the last few years I've had periods of slack where I ate anything. I'm trying to be more strict again, but it is hard sometimes due to travel and work. I still don't eat meat at home, mostly because there are so many great alternatives and also because I never really learned to cook meat (I was vegetarian throughout most of my 20s, what I like to call my "formative years"). I prefer the vegetarian diet for the following reasons: 1. I feel it is a better health choice. 2. In addition to being healthier naturally, being meat-free allows me to avoid all of the additives, hormones, antibiotics, etc. that are fed to animals raised in factory farms. 3. Animal agriculture has a negative effect on the environment and is an inefficient use of land and grain. 4. Animal agriculture is needlessly cruel. I'm not a hard-core animal rights activist, but I do feel that we have so many alternatives to meat that the cruelty involved in preparing animals for food is just unnecessary. I find it ironic that if I were to find a stray dog and subject him/her to the exact same treatment that cows receive in a slaughterhouse I would be accused of animal cruelty and probably vilified by the general public. Anyway, enough soapbox. I've never found that being a vegetarian interfered with my running.
              I do not eat any meat, poultry or fish, but I do eat eggs and milk.
                I'm a pescatarian too. No meat, but I do eat fish and seafood. I try to limit it to wild caught, as opposed to farm raised, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. I also eat eggs and dairy as well.

Sweaty

Previously 100% vegetarian now just as fish, Pescetarian here, seafood and shellfish, but not as any kind of red meat,I am not complaining I have excellent ways to eat without meat, I am not needed." hatred hunting" But I have no problem if someone is carnivore.
                  I donĀ“r suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single moment. L.L
                  AnneCA

Been ovo-lacto veg for about 16 years. Cool
                    pandajenn19

Wow, I certainly didn't expect so many pescetarians! Big grin I keep seafood on the menu because I adore sashimi (while there are good vegetarian rolls, there just isn't a replacement for sashimi) and because it makes it just a bit easier at some restaurants. Usually I can find a good veggie option, but I am picky about the healthfulness of food (I am a pescetarian for health reasons) and sometimes a good piece of salmon is a better alternative to a cheesy, fat filled pasta. Or to an iceberg lettuce salad with tons of cheese and croutons. Roll eyes
                        I was lacto-ovo for several years and converted to veganism for ethical reasons maybe over a year or so ago.
                        2008 Goals
                      • Run 1250 miles
                      • Get down to 135!
                      • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                        • Jenn, good to see a fellow St. Louisian on here! Where's your fav sushi place in town?
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sushi is great running food Big grin
                              Trent - are you going to have a "rice ceremony" for your soon-to-be-addition to your family? I dont eat meat or poultry. I eat some fish (picky!). I usually tell people that I am veg since it is easier. But I dont identify as vegetarian. I dont mind if others eat meat as long as they dont cook them on the dishes I use in my home. Also, I dont want others to tell me to eat meat - in exchange I wont tell them not to.
                                I wholeheartedly believe that all vegetarians can be cured. But I won't hold it against you. Big grin I've had 5 close friends or relatives who were vegetarians.... but are now omnivores just like me. I could not live with out a great steak.... or bacon....... Jason