I need help guys (Read 1250 times)

Shane40

Ok, im 40 and fat. I have taken a new job in Law enforcement and have to go to the academy which requires me to run 1.5 miles in 16.30 minutes. Ive done the academy before but new job wont accept it and have to go again (not happy) Its given me a new oppurtunity to get into shape as ive just recently become diabetic as well. Ive been running aournd the local HS track for the last two months. I stared out walking 1.5 mile and my first day was a bleak 28 minutes. Ive gotten down to a mile in 13 minutes and thought i would master the mile before i go 1.5. i think im hitting a wall of some kind. Ive lost weight but need to improve my time. Any suggestions Thank you Shane
    dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Shane-- I don't know what your time frame is to make your PT time, but two suggestions that may help are to utilize the Couch to 5K program available on coolrunning.com (it's here somewhere, too, I think), and/or to try running to my Podrunner podcast to help regulate your time and energy expenditure. I've had emails from listeners who passed their military PT tests because of help from Podrunner (a very rewarding feeling for me, too!). Best of luck to you!
      Steve Boyett
      Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
      Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
      va

Hi Shane, Here are some tips... Two ways for you to get faster and pass your test: 1. run more ....this will make you a better runner and burn more calories to help you lose weight ....increase the amount you run each week gradually ....listen to your body to determine how much to increase your weekly mileage, 10% is a rule of thumb ....to avoid injury, don't run each mile like its a time trial, take it easy 2. lose more weight ....running more will help with this, but you also need to control what you eat Good luck!
          Just thought I'd add as well...(I just got out of a Federal LE Academy where our 1.5 had to be done in 13:00 or less) Keep in mind as you're running that it's only 16 minutes of your life to be sacrificed for a shot at the job you want...I ran my final 1.5 in 9:52 and it HURT...But for those 10 minutes I kept telling myself that it was almost over with... So besides all the training advice people are giving you on here, look at that run in the overall scheme of things as well...Just my $0.02 Wink
          "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
            I would second the use of a training plan like C25K. You can still find it at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml (I just checked). I think at this level the key to running faster is to train by slowing down and running longer. Over time you will get faster. I would also recommend only running three days a week and cross train on the other days if you want. My current understanding is that as you run you are stressing your muscles and to a certain extent tearing them down and the recovery time is needed to rebuild muscles which are stronger. It is unlikely that at this level of running that exercise will have a large impact on your losing weight. It is much easier to lose weight through a proper eating plan. Best of luck in your efforts.
              Your first priority needs to be to lose weight. Every extra pound you carry slows your pace by a couple seconds per mile so if you are 30 pounds over weight your mile pace will be a full minute slower. Running alone won't accomplish the weight loss, especially at the limited mileage of a beginning runner, you'll need to cut back on your food intake. Once you cut back on your weight you'll need to run more mileage to increase your endurance. Better endurance will allow you to run at a faster pace with the same amount of effort. This mileage needs to be run at an easy "conversational" pace. The point is to build endurance which will in turn build speed. The fact that you are having trouble with "a wall of some kind" indicates that you are running too fast. Slow down to the point where you don't get breathless even if it means some walking for a while. Be aware that all this conditioning will take time. The only thing that happens quickly in running is injury. Getting from where you are now to where you want to be is not going to happen overnight. It will literally take months of hard work. Good luck, Tom

The voice of mile 18

agree w/ the above post don't start out too fast keep it a conversation pace at first. I'm a diabetic too (and we got our own user group here too) and as a PSA always keep some emergency carbs on you (hard candy, gels/gu's,ect), ID, and a cell phone and if possibly your meter. good luck and thanks

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

My first thought is staleness and muscle memory. You are not having to work as hard because your muscles are remembering the excercise. If you can, you may want to try something different and mix up your training routine. Get on a bike or an elliptical mayber. Just something to shake up your body and confuse it...make it learn something else. also, if haven't tried interval training, that may be enough to shake out the staleness. Mix up some sprints to re-calibrate you mental pace and that comfortable feeling crusing at your current pace.
                  Scout7

You need to run more. You want to become faster, the key consistency. Bare minimum should be three times a week. Beyond that, you need to run further than the required distance in your training. Like others have mentioned, consider a beginner 5k training plan.
                      . The only thing that happens quickly in running is injury. AMEN..... Words to Live AND run by....... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Kenotic Runner

The only thing that happens quickly in running is injury.
                        Sigh. So true. But... 1.5 miles isn't that far and willpower + injury can achieve a lot! At least for a single gotta-do-it run. Reminds me when I had to run a 3 mile fitness test in college for a big part of a grade for a physical education test. I was out of shape and killed myself for the A. But it was worth it. Didn't turn me into a runner, didn't make me fit. But I did get an A. Big grin
                        Shane40

Thank you very much Ill check it out I don't know what your time frame is to make your PT time, but two suggestions that may help are to utilize the Couch to 5K program available on coolrunning.com (it's here somewhere, too, I think), and/or to try running to my Podrunner podcast to help regulate your time and energy expenditure. I've had emails from listeners who passed their military PT tests because of help from Podrunner (a very rewarding feeling for me, too!). Best of luck to you!
                          Len

Damn Yankee

Ok Shane, here's the deal. You need to be running at least an 11 minute mile followed by a 5.5 minute half mile in order to pass this run, and then just barely. So you've got to drop your mile time two minutes and have the endurance to maintain that pace for the entire mile and a half run. I don't know how much time you have to get ready for this, but you need to get your ass in gear. Your current training plan is fatally flawed. You are hitting a wall because you are not putting enough effort into increasing your stamina. You say you're fat- how fat are you? Are you enormously obese, or have you just had a few too many donuts? (I'm a cop too, I can say that). If you are running on a modern rubber or polymer track and have decent shoes, I think that you should be able increase your runs to at least two miles almost immediately. You need to be running at least three days a week, and four would be better. Two miles a week is not going to get you ready to successfully complete this run. So, how bad do you want this job Shane? If you truly want it, get your butt to the track and put the miles in; otherwise I hope you haven't resigned from your old job because your going to need it. Assuming the test isn't next week, you CAN do this but your effort is going to have to match your desire.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Others have given some really good advice. I will be more simple in my approach. If you really want it - you WILL do it - you will get there. I had to do this last year as part of my law enforcement PT exam too. Except I am a 36 yer old female and I had to do it in 12.20. I am not a sprinter/fast runner at all (long and slow is me!) but I kept training for it over a 6 month time frame. I had to run 4 laps so I divided my required time into 4 and each time I started a new lap I would check my watch to see I was on schedule. I would 'run' it 3 x a week and I would run it doing the same route for the actual test. I would run so fast I would feel sick but my times dropped and I passed the time required with almost a minute to spare. I know its not easy - so hugs to you - I know what its like. In my exam (which i passed easily enough) I was so damned relieved I peed myself in frickin relief. Gross I know (no one saw and I had a change of PT clothes thank goodness!) - just saying I know where you are 'at' though!
                              free happiness with every moment!
                              Shane40

Thanks for the input, Im already working at the job but have to go to the academy within six months of hire. They really wanted me for my experience so they let me have the full six months to train. I have already been at it for two months and have come to the point of my 13:00 minute mile which is where I am at now. As far as being fat, Im 6-3 350 but after 2 months im about 310 so ive lost 40 pounds from running and not eating the crap the other deputies eat at night. I definitly have the heart as im eating fish and clean carbs now. I havent had fast food since i started and believe it or not I dont miss it. Well okay Hot wings and beer on Sunday for football I cant seem to shake. Anyway this thing is pissing me off. I think i want it to fast so from all of your guys advice on that im concentrating on consistancy and not timing myself everytime i run because im always trying to beat the day before. When I dont beat it I get down but im learning this week to not think about that. My PAT Test is March 19th so I have a little less than three months to do it. Ive incorperated some boxing at work as well as basketball on my off days. Its funny, when they want me to do a cell extraction, they want me on the bag, which is the first guy in when an inmate is going off. Last time I checked the jail is maybe 200 yards from one end to the other so im mocking this mile and a half thing. But no use crying over it as thats what they want me to do so Im going to do it. I thank everybody for all the advice and really need it. I will keep everybody posted and especially when I pass on March 19th
                                Ok Shane, here's the deal. You need to be running at least an 11 minute mile followed by a 5.5 minute half mile in order to pass this run, and then just barely. So you've got to drop your mile time two minutes and have the endurance to maintain that pace for the entire mile and a half run. I don't know how much time you have to get ready for this, but you need to get your ass in gear. Your current training plan is fatally flawed. You are hitting a wall because you are not putting enough effort into increasing your stamina. You say you're fat- how fat are you? Are you enormously obese, or have you just had a few too many donuts? (I'm a cop too, I can say that). If you are running on a modern rubber or polymer track and have decent shoes, I think that you should be able increase your runs to at least two miles almost immediately. You need to be running at least three days a week, and four would be better. Two miles a week is not going to get you ready to successfully complete this run. So, how bad do you want this job Shane? If you truly want it, get your butt to the track and put the miles in; otherwise I hope you haven't resigned from your old job because your going to need it. Assuming the test isn't next week, you CAN do this but your effort is going to have to match your desire.