2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

lagwagon

I'm starting to learn that recovery pace definitely means at a slow, relaxed pace to recover!

I am thinking the same thing.  I think Pfitz says 20-25% of MP, which for us would probably imply 8:15-8:30 mpm.  I know that as fatigue sets in my recovery pace is approaching 8:45-9:00, with the first mile even slower.

I completely rationalize this as okay given my "masters" status.  Hell if I followed Hudson's masters plan instead I'd only be running 3 days a week!

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I've never been one to break the 7:20-7:45 barrier but now recovery runs and more around 8:15ish and I don't really care.  I guess I try to run them more with "easy effort" then concern myself too much with the actual mile time.  Although, maybe its just me but my legs don't seem to want to go too slow on recovery so I've never been able to slow my pace to 8:45 or 9:00 or anything like that unless its between intervals.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

[Competitive] Jerk

My problem with doing the Pfitz was definitely running recoveries too fast. Now I'm running them at 7:30-7:50 pace which is exactly 20-25% slower than my MP. The problem I had was running those same recovery paces when my MP was 6:55/mile. Pfitz says anything under 67%HRR is recovery so I used to run them at 65-66%. Now I run them at 58-59% HRR for the most part.

And I have to agree with the time commitment of higher mileage is definitely a big toll on anyone's life. 100+ miles is 2+ hours/day for me. That's a lot of time to be running. And to recover/rest/shower/eat from all those running doesn't get easier with increased mileage. I don't have a whole lot of time outside of work, running, spending time with my kids and sleeping. 100+ miles becomes a lifestyle commitment which takes sacrifices and help from other members of the family as well.

I can be the guinea pig CSAB and let you know how it goes.

As far as recovery pace goes I would go by feel and not be pressured into achieving a certain pace.

Interesting discussion about the Pfitz plans and the mileage... you guys scare me. So far I only peaked just over 60 mpw for my half marathons, but I do plan to go up to 70 in this cycle for my May half. My idea was to do a 18/70 after that, and run a fall marathon, but you guys make it sound like that plan may easily break me. Especially because I will be brand new for marathon training.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Please add me to the list. Gonna shoot for sub 3 in 2013 at Boston, ran 3:02:43 this past weekend in Tucson.
              Please add me to the list. Gonna shoot for sub 3 in 2013 at Boston, ran 3:02:43 this past weekend in Tucson.

Nice work. It's going to happen.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

bhearn

Boston is the perfect place to run your first sub-3! Especially for someone like you, who's good at pacing. Run it right, and it's a delight. Not like Tucson, which is fast, but not so fun. OTOH, if you run Boston wrong... you're going to have a long day.

xhristopher

Boston is the perfect place to run your first sub-3! Especially for someone like you, who's good at pacing. Run it right, and it's a delight. Not like Tucson, which is fast, but not so fun. OTOH, if you run Boston wrong... you're going to have a long day.

Bob, you can't let Tucson be your Marathon PR. It's supposed to be Boston. Right? What are you going to do about that?

bhearn

Starting a modified Hansons plan tomorrow... or whenever I think my hamstring is ready... thinking 2:55. But Rocky Raccoon 100 in February presents a large challenge to that.

So now I'm curious to know what the right way is to pace Boston? Sure don't want to run wrong and make it any worse than marathons usually are.
                      bhearn

Well, the wrong way to run it is to go out too fast, same as any marathon. But it's especially tempting to at Boston, because of the course profile, and because of the energy. It's also especially dangerous at Boston. You hear again and again about people who PRed the half at Boston, then ran a 20-minute positive split.

I prefer to slightly negative split Boston. Take the first half a little easy, pick it up a bit at the half, run easy through the hills, then hammer it on the big downhill starting at M21. You will be flying by everybody.

gusgordon

So now I'm curious to know what the right way is to pace Boston? Sure don't want to run wrong and make it any worse than marathons usually are.

http://mymarathonpace.com

+1 to it being very special to go sub-3 at Boston for the first time.  It was an awesome experience.

gusgordon

Well, the wrong way to run it is to go out too fast, same as any marathon. But it's especially tempting to at Boston, because of the course profile, and because of the energy. It's also especially dangerous at Boston. You hear again and again about people who PRed the half at Boston, then ran a 20-minute positive split.

I prefer to slightly negative split Boston. Take the first half a little easy, pick it up a bit at the half, run easy through the hills, then hammer it on the big downhill starting at M21. You will be flying by everybody.

And this, too.

SForrester (35/no) – 15APR2013 – Boston (Boston MA) – Goal = sub-2:59:59  RESULT = ______

Goal last couple of years have been just to get to the point where I could get to a Boston BQ (I don't do races very often).  Earlier this year I thought I was almost there,  and so I threw together 12 weeks of  training averaging 38mpw and peaking just over 50mpw. I ran a 3:07 BQ off of that.   Obviously, 38mpw average isn't ideal marathon training,  but family, work, sickness etc..

THIS YEAR my wonderful wife bought me a treadmill for an early Christmas present.  Now I can run in the late evenings while the kids are sleeping and she is working.  Previously I'd have lots of free time in the late evenings,  just couldn't get out and run.

The plan is to do Pfitz 18/70.  I've never run this kind of mileage before, but I think (hope?) I can handle it.

Anyways.. very excited about Boston, and a little anxious about going sub-3.   Here to learn more and get through the winter training!

csab

csab - Do you speak Hungarian?

Sure I do, better than English. Smile

Piwi Kiwi: Thanks for volunteering for being a guinea pig. Smile