2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

sdfgewiuohsdf

Spam
    cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Alright maybe I just know very little about particular marathons but is Boston considered a faster one, fair, or hard?  I know about the 20 mile wall there of course but curious of everyone's outlook who know how to race it....

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

[Competitive] Jerk

I ran Boston twice. I think it's a sinister course that is tough to run right. First time I ran (2011) 1:30/1:34. Second time I ran 1:31:25/1:31:17 (2012) and my fastest 5K was the one after the Newton Hills. I wouldn't consider it fast but it's not slower than your average marathon either. If you look at the elevation profile it's a net downhill course, but it still has 600+ ft of climb in it.

gusgordon

Alright maybe I just know very little about particular marathons but is Boston considered a faster one, fair, or hard?  I know about the 20 mile wall there of course but curious of everyone's outlook who know how to race it....

It is potentially a reasonably fast course (not as fast as a flat course IMO) but very easy to screw up.  

I mostly lurk here, but I've learned a lot reading this forum and thought I'd post on my recent attempt at a 3:05.  I ran 1:31 and 1:59 at the Dallas Marathon.  Not really sure what happened a week later.  At the half I was feeling great - not just good, but great.  Then things rapidly went south.  I lost the 3:05 pace group at about 15.5 miles and by 20 it was a death march.  Maybe I'll make another BQ effort at some point, but I'm going to go back to shorter distances for the foreseeable future.  It was kind of disappointing to run 10 minutes slower than my first marathon in April after I bumped my miles per week up a lot all Summer and Fall.

Next time I'm going to get a water belt contraption.  They've always looked weird to me, but after observing the pace group leader's they make a little more sense.  I didn't train with anything but water this time around, and then drank Gatorade and  had a gel at the half.  Blowing up had a lot more to do with not being strong enough versus some sugar water, but I still want to try it.  Not having to stop for water would be good.  I guess I'm just grasping for something to explain what happened and need a hug and a cookie.

Hey Vercingtorix, you certainly appear to be fast enough to go well under 3:00 hours.  Why don't you slow down a bit on your long and/or easy runs?  7:30 pace on a "recovery" run is not even close to a recovery run.  I'm old, but I spend a lot of time running in the 8:30 range.  Perhaps if you slowed some of your runs down, you could tack on some extra miles and get your 2:5xTight lippedx.

aretequest

I'd recommend working on your best event.

That sounds like a good plan.  I don't really have a best event (although it might just be the marathon), but I think I enjoy 10Ks the most.  My 10K PR is 38:2x.  I'd love to get that below 38.  I think that would carry-over to a sub 3 full too, if I got some good endurance work in their too.  We'll see.  Meanwhile, my plan is to flirt around with a Hanson-type training plan to see if my body takes to it.  Usually, I wouldn't be ready for speed so early...but I'm starting this cycle pretty fresh since I bailed on my Dec marathon.  

(By the way, great blog!)

Bottle Opener

Hello I'm Josh and I'll be running my  first marathon in 9 years this March.  My first and last marathon I ran in 2:57  when i was 29 years old after a fall of 5k/xc training.  This time I plan on (and I'm actually doing) marathon training.  For the last few months I've upped my average 45-50 mpw to 60-70 mpw and have been feeling pretty good.  I just ran a 5 mile PR of 26:53.

My goal is to run faster than 2 hours + my age which means sub 2:38 (6 minute pace).

Roadkill Racing (38/yes) - 16MAR2013 - B & A Trail Marathon (Pasadena, MD) (Sub2:38) RESULT = _______

Racing for Beer & Glory

http://www.roadkillracing.com

csab

My goal is to run faster than 2 hours + my age which means sub 2:38 (6 minute pace).

I don't think I will ever be able to do that... Eventually I will start to lose more than a minute per year, I'm sure.

CalBears

I don't think I will ever be able to do that... Eventually I will start to lose more than a minute per year, I'm sure.

So, basically you just gave up without a fight? Big grin

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Bottle Opener

Don't worry I haven't actually done it yet.  That is just my goal.

Racing for Beer & Glory

http://www.roadkillracing.com

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Don't worry I haven't actually done it yet.  That is just my goal.

Awesome goal, although I don't see a 2:28 in my future so I guess I better get older but not slower...

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

I am definitely in, but don't know which race yet.

I am 35 and have not been sub3 before.  My half times (1:22) indicate I should be able to go sub3, but I wasn't able to achieve it at Rocket City (3:22). I am going to spend some time increasing mileage and consistency to work on endurance.

--

Nashville, TN

Are we there yet?

Boston Sub 3

Mount Desert Island Sub 3

Thanks Clive, you rock sir!

joescott

Boston Sub 3

Mount Desert Island Sub 3

Thanks Clive, you rock sir!

You're alive.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.