2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

aretequest

Well, nothing has really changed. I can't seem to get over 50 mpw, or do the speed workouts adequately. I'm close to writing off Boston, and just taking a few weeks completely off. But I'm not quite there yet.

I'm happy to see that the transition is going well for you. That gives me hope for the fall, at least! Good luck.

I hope you are recovering well, Bhearn!

bhearn

Thanks. After trying everything I could think of, the hamstring still was not really changing, so I gave up on my Boston plan. Speedwork seemed to be the biggest problem. So for the past few weeks I've just been running what I feel like, including higher mileage, lots of hills, and races -- 50K a week ago, 12-hour this weekend. But nothing fast. I am having fun. My hamstring will just do whatever it will do. When I think I can, I'll try some more speedwork, and hopefully retarget fall for a marathon PR.

Depending on how things go the next few weeks, I may still try for sub-3 at Boston -- I am now getting decent mileage, which is helping to drop my weight -- but more likely I will pace for 3:10ish.

CalBears

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

bhearn

Congratulations! Welcome to the club. :-)

Now, I wish I knew -- I bet you do too -- was it the Hansons plan, dropping the weight, or cutting out the sugar that was most responsible?

CalBears

Congratulations! Welcome to the club. :-)

Now, I wish I knew -- I bet you do too -- was it the Hansons plan, dropping the weight, or cutting out the sugar that was most responsible?

Ha-ha... I wish I knew. But, I think, at least cutting out the sugar and weight loss are connected things - could not loose weight without dropping sugar for years...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Awesome calbearsfan - great run!

Mmmmm...beer

I guess I don't need to be added to the list just yet, since my race is next year, but Ken said I should come over here, since my goal for my first full marathon next spring is sub-3:00.

Lil background, 38yo former fat guy turned runner, running for almost a year now.  Just ran my second half in 1:28:10 (first half last Sept was 1:50:45).  I ran a 26.25 mile long run in December in 3:32, felt good, and gave me a healthy respect for the distance, which is why I decided to wait a while to run my first full so that I could train more and put forth a good effort.  My original goal was to BQ (3:15), but with my new half PR, I decided to shoot for sub-3:00.  All I've done so far is easy base building, no speed work yet.  Plan is to race more, keep building my base, then start a good marathon program in the fall.  Gonna pick up Advanced Marathoning and start reading.  Still have a lot to learn, but apparently there's some speed that's been hiding in these legs all these years, looking forward to seeing how much of it I can squeeze out. Smile

Congrats calbearsfan, great job!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Ran marathon in LA with a first attempt to break 3 hours. Everything went very smoothly and I finished my race in 2:58:58. Which is almost 8 minutes PR. Felt great after the race, legs were feeling it on Monday but today they are getting much better. Clive, could you please put my time into the results part of the races table?

Congrats, calbearsfan!  (Sorry it took me a while to update.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Right on Hereford...

Awesome race, calbearsfan. I really enjoyed reading your race report, too.

And welcome, Dtothe2nd. You definitely belong here and it will be cool to watch your progress as you try for a sub-3 on your first marathon attempt. I predict success.

Congrats on a well run race, calbearsfan.

Enjoyed the race report.

Get off my porch

DoppleBock

I was on the edge of making it Feb 13th - THen I took 3 weeks comepletely off.  Then I put together a plan if followed to perfection would get me there with a 10-20% chance.  Then I crashed bad off a slider box in the terrain park at the ski hill and it put me out for 5 days.  I ran last night a 9:00 minute mile pace with a stabbing pain in my lumbar / upper glute region ~ So now it is on to running Boston @ 3:15 if I am lucky.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

joescott

I was on the edge of making it Feb 13th - THen I took 3 weeks comepletely off.  Then I put together a plan if followed to perfection would get me there with a 10-20% chance.  Then I crashed bad off a slider box in the terrain park at the ski hill and it put me out for 5 days.  I ran last night a 9:00 minute mile pace with a stabbing pain in my lumbar / upper glute region ~ So now it is on to running Boston @ 3:15 if I am lucky.

Dang, man.  Sorry to hear that, DB.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

B-Plus

Congrats cal! I'm going to read that report later.

Sorry to hear that DB. That sucks.

lagwagon

Great job, CBF!  Glad to seem someone getting it done!

I've been avoiding this site for a week, as I'm a bit bummed...I'm sidelined this week with a strained calf...not looking good for May.

Am I ready for a sub-3 attempt at Boston in 3 weeks?!  I don"t have a lot of experience racing, so log-guessing is welcomed!Cool

I missed 5 solid days,  plus a few days of not being 100%, due to a chest cold 10 days - 2 weeks ago.  Otherwise the training (pfitz 18/70) has been "ok"..the only problem is I dont feel much different from when I ran a 3:07 a year ago - but my mileage is quite a bit higher now.

My last long run this weekend I did 20 miles ending with 14@6:53 pace.  I was definitely starting to feel fatigued towards the end,  but this was also without taking any gels.  The next day I was fine,  no soreness etc.