2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

CalBears

Am I ready for a sub-3 attempt at Boston in 3 weeks?!  I don"t have a lot of experience racing, so log-guessing is welcomed!Cool

I missed 5 solid days,  plus a few days of not being 100%, due to a chest cold 10 days - 2 weeks ago.  Otherwise the training (pfitz 18/70) has been "ok"..the only problem is I dont feel much different from when I ran a 3:07 a year ago - but my mileage is quite a bit higher now.

My last long run this weekend I did 20 miles ending with 14@6:53 pace.  I was definitely starting to feel fatigued towards the end,  but this was also without taking any gels.  The next day I was fine,  no soreness etc.

I would go for it. 14 miles @ 6:53 is pretty solid and you know already that you can run 3:07 (it is your base now Smile). I was in similar situation just two weeks ago, running 3:06:40 in December 2012 and training 12 weeks before LA marathon. Hitting MP workouts were crucial thing of confidence for me. And I only had 3 months between marathons. You had a year of solid (according to your log) running, so, your improvement as a runner should be much more substantial. Main thing - come to the race healthy, think about how you execute the race (have a plan - I know you know that but I cannot emphasize enough how important it is), focus during  the race and go for it. I don't see a point of training so hard if you don't try to go for your goal at the end of the day. You definitely can do that. Good luck!

Btw, is Greenway outside track or trail, hopefully it is not another treadmill? :-) That would not be very good Smile.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

I would go for it. 14 miles @ 6:53 is pretty solid and you know already that you can run 3:07 (it is your base now Smile). I was in similar situation just two weeks ago, running 3:06:40 in December 2012 and training 12 weeks before LA marathon. Hitting MP workouts were crucial thing of confidence for me. And I only had 3 months between marathons. You had a year of solid (according to your log) running, so, your improvement as a runner should be much more substantial. Main thing - come to the race healthy, think about how you execute the race (have a plan - I know you know that but I cannot emphasize enough how important it is), focus during  the race and go for it. I don't see a point of training so hard if you don't try to go for your goal at the end of the day. You definitely can do that. Good luck!

Btw, is Greenway outside track or trail, hopefully it is not another treadmill? :-) That would not be very good Smile.

Thanks.. Ha!  Yeah, I know I spend way too much time late at night on the treadmill.  The weekend greenway runs are asphalt and gravel though.

Right on Hereford...

Am I ready for a sub-3 attempt at Boston in 3 weeks?!  I don"t have a lot of experience racing, so log-guessing is welcomed!Cool

I missed 5 solid days,  plus a few days of not being 100%, due to a chest cold 10 days - 2 weeks ago.  Otherwise the training (pfitz 18/70) has been "ok"..the only problem is I dont feel much different from when I ran a 3:07 a year ago - but my mileage is quite a bit higher now.

My last long run this weekend I did 20 miles ending with 14@6:53 pace.  I was definitely starting to feel fatigued towards the end,  but this was also without taking any gels.  The next day I was fine,  no soreness etc.

Your last MP long run is a great indicator that you're ready, and I agree you should go for it. But, I would try to execute a conservative race plan. Try to run around 7:00 pace, and NO faster than 6:55 pace for the first 4-5 miles, and stay relaxed. The race begins at mile 16. Everything before that is a warmup.

Try to get most of your miles done outside (not on the treadmill) between now and April 15!

runnershawn

O.K. put me on the list for Boston.  It is out there now, no going back now.  Thank You Good Luck all

runnershawn (42/no) – 15APR2013 – Boston (Boston MA)  RESULT = ______

tenacity

You can drop me from the list of sub-3 in Boston. Due to  a variety of issues, Achilles being one, I'm not capable of going sub-3 right now, and not sure whether I'm making the trip to Boston at all. I may put my name back in the hat this fall. Undecided

Peace, Gary

joescott

Hey Clive, no need to change the board, but I just wanted to go on public record that my chances of going < 2:50 a week from Monday are quite slim, unless I have some surprise breakout.  I'm not even sure I'll try to run the first half to put myself in position for it.  I think sub-3 should still be very much within reach, so I got that goin' for me.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DoppleBock

My year

Dec - Run crappy 24 hour race

End of Dec - Jan ~ Ski, drink and eat ... Screw running

End of Jan - Mid Feb ~ Try to care about running

Mid Feb for 3 weeks ~ Screw running

Early March - Mid March ~ Care about running

Mid March ~ Ski accident, screw back up = 2 weeks

Start of April ~ End of ski season, back still screwed up, but start running for fun (Screw training)

Current status ~ 230 Pounds, No speed, limited strength ... good endurance hold over from 2012.

April 15 = Boston ... so way in hell I will break 3 hours.

In fact I have written Boston off enough that I plan a 30 mile technical trail run tomorrow ~ Unless I sleep in as the group goes off at 7am and it is a 2 hour drive.

How can one taper if they never trained?

To other Boston runners - May you have fair seas and following winds!  Please do not knock we over as you blow past me.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

PS - Do not change anything for me also - Reality, the goal was sub 3 and I should report my actual versus that goal.

tenacity

PS - Do not change anything for me also - Reality, the goal was sub 3 and I should report my actual versus that goal.

That's a good point. I don't know how best to deal with it, I guess all I really wanted to do here is state that Boston is no longer a sub-3 attempt for me. It was originally, and I couldn't get the job done.

DoppleBock

We are in the same boat.

The reason, I do not like the original goal changed, is because when someone new comes in and looks at the list and results, changing the original goal gives a false impression of how successful we are acheiveing the goals we set at the start of a training process.  Realism is that lots of shit happens to get in the way.

That's a good point. I don't know how best to deal with it, I guess all I really wanted to do here is state that Boston is no longer a sub-3 attempt for me. It was originally, and I couldn't get the job done.

Oldman (51/no) – 26APR2013 – Country Music (Nashville TN)  RESULT = _DNS_____

Get off my porch

cbrad

hi all.....havent posted in months.....have been on the injury merry-go-round during jan and feb and gave up on boston at the start of march.  back running and up to 40miles a week.  its hard to participate in a thread if injured...so i'll try and be more active from now on.

Clive...please take me off the Boston attempt.

good luck to all you boston runners.

The weather is looking decent for Boston..

Hows everyones taper going?  I tried some new socks last week and got a nice dime sized blister on the tip of my big toe.. That at least gave me something new to freakout over.  I never get blisters so I dont know quite what to expect with this one. It didnt pop..and even though it is filled with fluid it seems to be healing ok under there.

Starting to get anxious!

aretequest

The weather is looking decent for Boston..

Hows everyones taper going?  I tried some new socks last week and got a nice dime sized blister on the tip of my big toe.. That at least gave me something new to freakout over.  I never get blisters so I dont know quite what to expect with this one. It didnt pop..and even though it is filled with fluid it seems to be healing ok under there.

Starting to get anxious!

Taper madness has fully set in here.  I cut back on carbs the last couple days which makes me feel like cr*p.  No more depletion for me now, though--feel too crappy.  Start loading later this week, meanwhile, back to healthy, balanced eating and easy running here on out.

I'm going for it Monday.

Best of luck to all running Beantown!

CalBears

Taper madness has fully set in here.  I cut back on carbs the last couple days which makes me feel like cr*p.  No more depletion for me now, though--feel too crappy.  Start loading later this week, meanwhile, back to healthy, balanced eating and easy running here on out.

I'm going for it Monday.

Best of luck to all running Beantown!

Good luck AQ, go get it!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile