2013 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 2202 times)

[Competitive] Jerk

lagwagon - I looked at your training and you definitely ramped up the mileage at a decent rate. If you feel great you might not need time off or step back but I will tell you this: Pfitz 18/70 is a very tough plan, at least it was for me. I could not execute it myself 3x now due to getting injured on it or coming close to injury. The quality is pretty high and the quantity is substantial, especially for someone coming off of a 50-60mpw base. That would be adding substantial quality AND quantity to your training.

The paradox is I have a lot of vacation time to burn and was looking forward to running without the stress of work/travel for a couple weeks.  (Hit some long trails, etc).

hey Lagwagon,, this quote above is what jumped out at me.  Go for it; run lots of easy, stress free and FUN miles.  If you do that, you will go into January 1 focused, relaxed and ready to attack the Pfitz plan. Good luck!

cbrad

Hey everyone.....another RWOL refugee (carlbrad)!!! Had a PB in October of 2:59 and want to smash this for Boston!  currently base building to 70mpw until mid jan when i start the Pfitz 12/?????....60miler....probably.   race day 41 years old.

kader

Hi everybody. I guess I'll jump in now for the 2013 thread.

I ran my first sub-3 marathon this past September with a 2:58. Planning on running Chicago this year and tentatively setting a goal to run in the 2:50-2:54 range. On race day I'll be 28. I've been fairly low mileage up to this point (avg. 50-55 mpw for the 3 months leading up to the marathon but 35-40 mpw for the year) so I'd like to see what I can do if I bump that up a bit.

Cheers.

oriwoi

spam
            lagwagon

thanks guys for the feedback.  I've been thinking about it, and I might back down the mileage a bit and keep it slow, just for a couple of weeks to freshen up.

Greg, at a glance the program didnt look too hard, but I do worry about the cumulative effect of the miles (esp now reading the target paces for the long runs and seeing the MP work).

Another question that might help other people targeting sub-3: I did a long run the other day (16) and tried to run according to Pfitz's pace suggestions.  After 3 mile warm up, first half was a little fast (did 7:45 pace, vs MP+20% would be 8:15), with the last 6+ miles right on  at MP+10% (7:30 pace).  It wasnt tough to finish, but made me more tired/sore than my typical long run.   Are these paces about right for the Pfitz plan?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am edging myself toward this goal, but it intimidates me - my PR is 3:06, so sub-3 is a fairly big step for me.

Got in 7mi w/u and 6.5mi at slightly sub-7 today, which made me happy, b/c I would really like to extend out that type of workout. I've never done much of that before (I lack the mental fortitude to do long runs alone, and have often wished to include faster second parts, but almost never actually executed that wish). I think that would help give me confidence, and hopefully also help make it possible.

Haven't read this whole thread yet.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

CalBears

lagwagon - I did Pfitz 18/55 and 12/70 (my last cycle). 12/70 didn't make me feel really tired (bu I must say I missed few workouts there Sad) and I followed Pfitz's pace recommendations very closely. Need to mention that I was running 75-85 mpw easy for 4 months before starting 12/70 cycle. But 18 weeks plan, I think, may make you feel it at about week 12 (plus/minus few weeks). Judging by your previous weekly mileages, it should be pretty tough and useful cycle. The cumulative fatigue by week 12-14 should be pretty big. I would advise, if you feel really tired, just take it easy on paces, adjust the workouts. The program may not look tough, but for me it was pretty tough. Keeping up with 60-70 mpw intense 18 weeks after averaging 55 mpw - that definitely should be tough :-). If not, good for you :-). I will be training for sub 3 this coming cycle. I usually follow the paces for LR and MLR very closely - I don't have a warm up and start MP + 20% (8:10) and the second part would go at MP+10% - 7:30. You should also keep in mind that running just a long run in the middle of no plan is one thing, running it in the middle of week 12 or 14 of 18/70 plan is another thing :-). Just take a look at the (7 Weeks to Goal) week - you will have 15 mi MLR on Wednesday and 22 LR on Sunday (plus an 7mi LT workout on Friday) - so, should be fun, don't you think? Try not to underestimate the plan right now - better overestimate it :-). I hope it doesn't sound judgemental - I am still pretty new to this, only ran 4 marathons and will only try sub 3 next year. I am  sharing my experience - and, in my experience, even 18/55 was pretty tough and I had a few days when I really really didn't want to run Smile.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

I am edging myself toward this goal, but it intimidates me - my PR is 3:06, so sub-3 is a fairly big step for me.

Welcome AmoresPerros! What a coincidence - my recent PR is 3:06 and I will be targeting sub 3 next year too. First attempt is on March 17.

What plan are you going to follow? What plan did you follow for your PR marathon? I followed Pfitz's plans with 12/70 for my recent race.

So far the start of the training cycle doesn't look very good for me - was carrying a Christmas tree yesterday and it was way too heavy for me - kind of hurt my back, damn... No more tall Christmas trees for me for the future - I already warned my DW Big grin.

Good luck with the training! When do you plan your goal marathon?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Since we're all discussing Pfitz....I'm working on the 18/55 plan right now.  Today I had a 9 mi w/4 mi LT scheduled.  Does this mean to do 5 miles at GA pace and then the last 4 at LT pace?   Or should I have used the extra 5 miles as a split between the WU and CD and dropped the pace a bit?

My workout this morning ended up being around 7:45 pace for the first 5 miles and then around 6:35 pace for the last 4 (6:40 for 3 miles and 6:20 for one).  The pace felt fine and I honestly thought my miles were too fast during the LT phase but I never run in the morning so it was a different feeling.  I'm working on the log right now if you happen to click and see the splits.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

bhearn

I do that workout as 4 @ GA, 4 @ LT, 1 CD. Your paces look good, but you will want to be doing 6:25-6:30 for the LT by the time you finish, I think, to be in range for sub-3.
                        cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I do that workout as 4 @ GA, 4 @ LT, 1 CD. Your paces look good, but you will want to be doing 6:25-6:30 for the LT by the time you finish, I think, to be in range for sub-3.

Thanks.  That's what I thought I should do next time too.  I like the idea of a short CD.  If it was the afternoon, I think I could have been okay with my LT pace but for whatever reason, I just don't go as fast at 5am. 

"Current" PRs

bhearn

I just wrapped up 18/70-85 (minus workouts here and there) and ran 2:58:38... you can take a look at my log if you like. The LT etc. is labeled. I didn't do such a good job on the LT this cycle.

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I just wrapped up 18/70-85 (minus workouts here and there) and ran 2:58:38... you can take a look at my log if you like. The LT etc. is labeled. I didn't do such a good job on the LT this cycle.

Thanks.  I'm still playing around with this log so enjoyed perusing another.  Congrats on the marathon last week by the way too.  I'm not thinking that my first marathon in March will be sub 3 but maybe by my 2nd one?  I think I have the speed but need a good amount of endurance work.

"Current" PRs

bhearn

I was going to say, sub-3 off Pfitz 18/55 would imply some talent. I had to go up to 70 for my first sub-3.

Good luck.