Question about my HM (Read 806 times)

...first one - will be on 8/17. I've been focusing on just building mileage/endurance, and not doing any structured "speed" work - although I do thow in faster miles at times during regular runs. I'll be doing my longest run (15) on Saturday - that will be 3 weeks out from the HM. My goal for the race is to get as close to the 2 hr mark as I possibly can. There is a 10K the following week (8/2). Would it be worthwhile running this at best effort two weeks out from the half? Not make any difference? Run it only if I really like the shirt Big grin ? Is it too late to benefit from running intervals in the last 2 weeks before the race? Since I only run on alternate days, I've been kind of winging this - and think I've been doing pretty well with "planning" so far - but I'm just really not sure what would be most beneficial as I get closer to the race. Thanks for any help Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

SMART Approach

Kind of curious why you are doing 15 mile long for training for half on your low miles (less than 30). Be very sure to watch intensity. Even slow pace will beat on body a bit and require more recovery when you don't have miles around this. At your mileage, no reason to go past 12 miles on long run leading up to half. Do a few of those and you are ready. The 10K will provide a nice conditoning effect for the half. Warm up a mile or two before and throw in a mile or two after and you have an awesome long work out. Take it easy the week after the 10k but you already run your runs comfortable so you should recover no problem. Be extra cautious on intensity though. Still get miles in but very comfortable. The weekend before the half, try to get in some goal pace miles. Warm up a mile or two and run 3-4 miles at estimated goal pace to get a feel for what this feels like. Finish with some cooldown miles and striders. Also, don't overtaper. You will do great.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Is it too late to benefit from running intervals in the last 2 weeks before the race? Since I only run on alternate days, I've been kind of winging this - and think I've been doing pretty well with "planning" so far - but I'm just really not sure what would be most beneficial as I get closer to the race.
        I wouldn't add intervals to the mix so close your goal race. There's little likelihood that you would actually reap the real benefits of the speed work at this point, and there's a large likelihood that you'll increase your injury risk. Its a natural tendency to think about cramming in some additional quality work just before a big race. Resist the urge. A little goal-paced running (as Tchuck suggests) is great ... but anything more stressful has more downside than upside.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Kind of curious why you are doing 15 mile long for training for half on your low miles (less than 30). Be very sure to watch intensity. Even slow pace will beat on body a bit and require more recovery when you don't have miles around this. At your mileage, no reason to go past 12 miles on long run leading up to half. Do a few of those and you are ready. The 10K will provide a nice conditoning effect for the half. Warm up a mile or two before and throw in a mile or two after and you have an awesome long work out. Take it easy the week after the 10k but you already run your runs comfortable so you should recover no problem. Be extra cautious on intensity though. Still get miles in but very comfortable. The weekend before the half, try to get in some goal pace miles. Warm up a mile or two and run 3-4 miles at estimated goal pace to get a feel for what this feels like. Finish with some cooldown miles and striders. Also, don't overtaper. You will do great.
          Alternate day runs means I don't work around a 7 day "week" - I plan my runs around a 12-14 day cycle. So my weekly calendar won't show more than 30 - but my last 12 day cycle was closer to 44, and I have done up to 35 in a 7 day period. I will be adding regular biking in to support longer runs after the half. I plan on taking 2 min walk breaks every 4 miles when I run the 15, since that will be the first time I attempt that distance outdoors. Thanks Tchuck- sounds like a good plan for the 10K, and I'll forget about adding new types of workouts. One of the reasons I was thinking about the 10K, is that I'm still not quite sure what my goal pace should be...I'm thinking I could probably finish in 2:10 - 2:12. Berner - good advice, and injury risk is always on my mind. It is difficult to know just how hard you can push yourself to improve without crossing that injury line.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Scout7

There is a 10K the following week (8/2). Would it be worthwhile running this at best effort two weeks out from the half? Not make any difference?
            Probably won't make much difference. I would do it, though, because racing is racing, and it's good practice for future racing.
            Is it too late to benefit from running intervals in the last 2 weeks before the race?
            Yes.
            Since I only run on alternate days, I've been kind of winging this - and think I've been doing pretty well with "planning" so far - but I'm just really not sure what would be most beneficial as I get closer to the race. Thanks for any help Smile
            At this point, relaxing is the most beneficial thing. You probably don't even need to do much in the way of taper, either.
              Well, I ran the 10K... I had a plan.....I wanted to try an aggressive pace and see what I could do with it...that pace was 9:10. Race calculator was giving me around 9:22 based on my previous 2 races. I knew the first mile was downhill, so I wanted to try to hold around an 8:40 pace for that first mile, knowing that I would be slowing significantly when I hit the mile uphill on A street. It's not that it is a terrible hill, but it's long, and it starts around mile 4.5. The rest of the course is on a slight incline after that. I was not nervous about this race, because in my mind, it was a "practice" race ( thanks, Scout), and I fully expected that going out fast was either going to give me a great time, or blow up in my face...and I was Ok and expecting the latter.... So I start my warm up....very slow jog....and I feel very short of breath, so just quit and went back to sit in the car. Roll eyes It wasn't very windy, overcast and about 55, so pretty perfect race conditions. I was working hard, but feeling reasonably good until anytime I hit an uphill. By the time I got to the A street hill, I had take 3-4 walk breaks, but got back into pace pretty quickly. Mile 5-6, still had to take a couple of walk breaks, and once again, I'm between packs - no one in front of me....peeps way behind me. Last .21, kicked it - wheezing all the way in to the finsh - but I did it. My goal was to try to push myself as hard as I could. I don't think I did that, but I'm getting closer to doing it...I think that takes a lot of practice and a lot of guts to do. I'm not there..... yet....But I was very happy with my efforts and my results. 8:51 Big grin and the shirt was pretty cool too Wink I'm planning on going to 4 days/wk with my runs, and the new day will be a LHR run day. Race calculator is now saying 9:15 for the half - but I know this is too fast for me, so not sure how I'm going to handle the pacing in that yet. I still have 2 weeks to go.....

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Dave

Great job, Chenille. You just may surprise yourself on your half. Others may disagree but I like running on fresh legs so you may want to really taper down until your race. You've built the fitness you'll race on. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Thanks, Dave, I really feel like the long runs are making a difference, if nothing else, they are giving me lots of confidence in myself. I plan on just running easy the next 2 weeks.

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Kind of like the others here....I wouldnt run more then 11 or so before the race...running more at this point won't help you.. I started doing track and interval running about 6 weeks ago (on Wednesday) and I am just now starting to notice a little difference...so I doubt at this point you have time to do any good (but you could overextend and get hurt - BAD IDEA at this stage of the game for you)..... I think (for what it is worth) that you should continue with intermediate distances............only go 10 or 11 on a long weekend run.... Make sure you only run 2 or so miles the two days before the 1/2 and then do them slowly...just to loosen up........... On Race day --- GO HAVE FUN........You are ready......... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

I wish I had built more time into training for this half, but it was a late decision, originally I was going to run the 5K Wink This is my last race for the year, and it is the distance I was training for before my first injury - so in my mind, it's really important. I'm planning a 10-12 tomorrow, and the rest of my runs will be in the 6-8 range. I guess I'm going to try out that race predictor, so will throw in some miles at 9:15 during the regular runs, but keep most of the miles easy. I like the idea of running just a couple of miles easy the 2 days before the race, and maybe throw a few strides in there. Thanks for the advice, John - and I will have fun!

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Well, things did not work out the way I thought they would. I really stressed about this race and wanted to "race" this half, but it was not to be. What I worried about most was my fitness, did I have enough long runs in, was keeping to alternate days going to hurt me when it came to longer races? On top of that, I only had one "good" run since the 10K, the rest were crap not Big grin. Having ITB issues never even crossed my mind. Again, I started out too fast, but settled down into a reasonable pace, and felt I could hold a pace in the 9:15 range for most of the remainder of the race. The first 7 miles I came through in 1:03:32 = 9:05 pace, and thought I had a really good shot at hitting my goal. Mile 8, I started having problems with the outside of my R knee...it got progressively worse....I tried to run through it, but I just couldn't...at times I was limping. Then the pain started shooting into my hip and lower leg...at that point, I was still not sure what the problem was. I gradually had to walk more and more, and at one point wondered if I would even be able to finish. Something came over me as I was coming up that last hill, and DAMN IT, I was NOT going to limp over that finish line. Kicked it up a notch, and knee actually felt OK with it, however, after sitting down to take off my timing chip....I could barely stand, DH had to help me walk a bit. After forcing myself to walk a bit more, and stretching and icing, it feels a lot better - no problem with range of motion or stretching. I'm guessing that running on the side of the trail was probably canted more than I thought - R leg was always the inside leg and I think my ITB or some tendon just got aggravated. Perfect weather conditions and I think everyone had a great time. Thanks for following along with me. Almost there.... That finish line looked sooooooooo good...

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

redleaf

Congrats on finishing (although sorry it was in pain!) And thanks for sharing the pictures!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

A Saucy Wench

Congrats on your first HM! Now get that knee healed so you can rock the next one!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks Redleaf and Ennay Smile

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group