coffee and running (Read 812 times)

I was wondering if coffee actually affects how well you run. Some of my friends try to stay away from drinking coffee, but I love it. Will coffee make me a better runner or not? Undecided

Oh Mighty Wing

I don't believe it's that simple. after 2 days of eating crap (chicken cheese steaks and french fries and cheeseburgers) I feel sluggish but I don't necessarily consider that worse running... Be careful of other people's running superstitions, many times I think they are just that... superstitions!
        Will coffee make me a better runner or not? Undecided
        Yes.
        JakeKnight

Yes.
          Weisenheimer. OP: try the search function. Lot's of discussion on coffee and running. Unfortunately, most of them involve poop.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

I avoid coffee (and caffeine) like the plague, since I consider it worse than alcohol or tobacco. I also suffer from severe migraines on occasion and went blind for 2 weeks once a decade ago or so, so I have a good reason to avoid caffeine. Basically, caffeine is a semi-legal performance enhancing drug. If you are used to running with it in training, then you can use it before a race, but if you don't normally run after a cup of coffee it's a bad idea to try racing with it in your system. See Jake's response for just one of the reasons why.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I have a coffee each day and find that I run worse when I don't drink it, but that's probably because I'm addicted already :P

The Greatest of All Time

all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Ostrich runner

There are some really good reasons why not to ingest caffeine, but worse than tobacco, that's just silly.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

JakeKnight

There are some really good reasons why not to ingest caffeine, but worse than tobacco, that's just silly.
                      Totally. I love my coffee, but its not as good as a fine cigar. That is just silly.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I certainly find I have a bit more pep if I run after my morning coffee rather than before. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't already a coffee drinker though. I went decaf for years and once I started dabbling in it again - a cup of coffee became my recreational drug of choice Big grin Unfortunately, it didn't take long before the supercharge faded.
                        ~ Fly ~
                        Only as much as I dream can I be.
                        veggies on the run