Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Zelanie

Lurch- You were able to run the 5K distance at PR pace without being in a race?  Color me impressed!

RR from Montreal HM.

Quick RR:  1:45:42. Did not PR Cry(missed it by 1m36sec). DW did her first HM at 2:20:26. She thought she was going to die after she crossed the finish line. I told her to just control her breathing for a few minutes. All is good.

Long RR: The forecast was for temps in the mid 20's (77 F), with sun and not a cloud in the sky.

We arrived at the race 1 hr before (race started at 10), and all was good. Bathroom lines were short, only about 2800 runners.

Got into my corral, but it was all the way at the end, the last one. WTF! Apparently the corrals were mixed up when they printed the bib. So I threaded my way to the the 2nd corral after the elites.

I also made a decision to check my times at the 10 and 20k marks only, figuring that about 47minutes at each mark was good enough for a PR and possibly sub-1:40.

Race started, but the first 3 k were so congested because there was a mass start and the road was narrow for the longest time (literally a car width). So it took me a lot of extra energy and time to pass the first wave of runners until the road opened up on the Formula One track. There was room there to pass in either direction. Finally.

At the 10k mark my time was 48m38sec, I was over by 1 1/2 minutes due to the initial congestion. Could I make up the time? I didn't want to push such a big negative split. so I just ran a steady, smart race from that point on.

I don't remember my time at 20k, but I was still over by about 2/3 minutes or so (I didn't use the splits on my watch).

Saw the 20k mark, and picked it up for the last 1.1, passed a few on the way and crossed at 1:45:42 chip time.

I was a little upset that I didn't PR, but it was a faster time by almost 1 minute from last year at the same race.

My PR was at a different race last year.

Got my water and medal, and ran back to the 20.5k mark, and waited for my with to pass. I figured she would do it in around 2:10/2:15 but that came and went. So I started to worry. Then I saw her and ran with her until the finish, giving her encouragement. As she crossed and I met up with her, she was telling me "I cant breath...call an ambulance.."

I told her to stop, and take deep, slow  breathes from the gut. Did this for about 5 minutes, and it helped. Then an EMT saw her, and told her to come to the medical tent. They took her blood oxygen, BP and HR. all seemed good. Gave her a sugar pill, she loved that!!

After 10 minutes, she was released and we stretched and had some snacks until we left for home. I am sure she pushed it too hard at the end.

It turns out that around the 13k mark, she got a major side stitch, to the point where she had to stop and walk. Then another runner, stopped and asked her if she was OK? She offered her water, and some chews. My wife started crying then because that lady actually stopped and helped her out. That's what I love about running community. Then the lady started running, and told my wife " I'll see you at the finish".

Now, off to plug in my full marathon training schedule for September.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
      2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

Jan26.2

Zelanie - I'm sorry you knee has been giving you so much trouble! I think having it checked out would be a good thing. The sooner you find out what it is, the sooner you can start to fix it.

Lurch - Great job on the 5K! Sounds like you're right where you should be in your training.

docjen - It's awesome that you've recovered so well from the marathon! I've heard good things about the Omaha marathon, so it might be worth checking into. DH and I did sort of race this weekend - 5 miles instead of 10 though.

wolf - For some reason when you say you're going to run slow miles next week, I'm doubtful. Big grin You're one speedy guy!

gosling - Way to fight to the end in a tough race. You're so very close, and if it hadn't been for your pain, I think you'd have easily gone sub 2. Running in the pouring rain on a hilly course couldn't have helped either. You do know that hills are bad for shin pain, right? Wink Don't let it get you down, because you will do it next time. How are your shins feeling now?

stever - Congrats on a great race!! Even though it wasn't a PR, your time was faster than last year and 1:45 is a finish time I can only drool over, cause I'll never see it next to my name! I'm glad your wife is ok - that must have been really scary for her. Hopefully it won't keep her from doing another one.

hector - How was the long run today? Hope the foot behaved.

pcaharrier - Excellent 5K! Your training is definitely working.

Nathan - Holy cow, what a streak you've got going!! You're absolutely going to own your race.

blue - I can't imagine sitting on a plane watching the engine blow up. Not a nice way to end your vacation. I hope a reunion with the foam roller has made your shins happier.

miele - How was the race? Can't wait for the RR!

me - DH and I ran the 5 miler today. His pneumonia/bronchitis responded quickly to the meds, so he was feeling pretty strong. At the start line we figured we'd go out easy, then see how it felt to gradually pick up the pace. Well, the starting line was a bit of a fiasco, so there was no problem with going out easy. There were supposed to be pace groups, but right before the gun everyone rushed the start, so all speeds of runners/walkers/strollers were mixed together. It was close to the end of the first mile before things thinned out a bit. The next 3 miles were fairly uneventful, and we were holding between an 8 and 8:30mm. Right after the 4 mile mark, it felt like someone kicked me in the right side of my stomach, and it brought me to a dead stop. Couldn't breathe, couldn't move, so I bent over and shuffled for a few seconds. Then a woman pushing a jogging stroller passed me and it pissed me off so bad that I started running again (still bent over). This made DH start laughing and coughing, so after I could stand upright and he could breathe, we were able to pick it up and finish. The pain still hasn't totally gone away, so I don't know what it was (is). Final time 42:03. Good enough for 3rd in my AG, but nearly 3 minutes slower than last year for me and about 5 minutes slower for DH. Right after we finished I was mad because of the pain, mad at my time, and just generally not a happy runner. After I had some time to think about it I feel a little better. It's a better finish than either of us thought we could do, with him getting sick and my hip issues. The one shining moment was when I sprinted past the jogging stroller woman right before the finish. Not smart, because it made my stomach really hurt and I almost hurled, but well worth the pain. Evil  I guess next time we decide to race a 5 miler, we really should train for it.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

miele

Godzilla

A quick post to let you know I ran a 1:51:18.  I'm really happy with that considering my training.  It was a good day.  I'll be back later with details and personals.

Congrats to our racers!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

to all the racers :  I will be back as I can't wait to read the details of your races. I got hurt today so going to sleep right now Sad

I ran 8.6 miles today at my SLOW pace honest lol Smile  My Pr for 8.6 miles is 7.49 pace so I just wanted something in the low 8's.  I ran a 8.07 pace which I was happy with. BUT ! ! ! ! ! !! ! !  Around the 5 mile mark I was running on some hard pack rocky dirt and my toe caught a rock and I went flying onto the ground knee, elbow, hand, hip etc...  A few bikers rode past me like nothing happened but some nice lady stopped and offered me some wet-one cloths  for my bloody mess of a knee. I thanked her for stopping and took off to run the last 5k or so. I was dripping blood all down my leg and people were looking at me crazy for sure, I just wanted to get some alcohol and clean up my cuts.  Anyways, I feel fine and finished my run at the same pace, just have alot of road rash and some bumps.  I think I over extended my foot when I stubbed my toe and tripped but it doesn't seem to hurt my running THANK GOODNESS! I will just be careful on it. Anyways I posted a link below of the carnage if you wish to see it. I need to go lay down.  I look forward to reading your race reports and cya guys Smile

https://twitter.com/Wolfwalker23/status/328678666982809600/photo/1

Very graphic Picture ^^^^^^^^^  Warning ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

CeeDotA

Haven't visited this thread in a while, but here goes.

I just missed sub-2:00 in January, finishing with a 2:02. I then proceeded to miss most of February with what I assume was bursitis in my knee. I went from running 120+ miles a month down to just 60 in February. Bounced back in March, and trained hard to get ready for Eugene. However, I didn't have a single long run longer than 11 miles in March or April leading up to Eugene. Wasn't sure how my body would respond to a HM after not going that distance since January's HM.

That, and the much hillier Eugene course (in comparison to January's HM) was going to make for a pretty big challenge as far as breaking two hours.

Well, after a furious charge in the last half mile up Agate St. and onto Hayward Field's legendary track, I just barely beat the clock and picked up a 1:59:55 finish this morning.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

jan-love your RR. It would have been funny if you puked on the stroller (actually, that would be kinda gross), but I feel for you. Glad that you and DH were able to do the race.

miele-looking forward to your RR, 1:51 is a great time, considering your training.

wolf-ouch! Nasty fall. And yes, the bikers were probably looking down on you...good on for the lady stopping to help you.

me-going to bed now.Sleepy

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
                2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

amn77

Hi all--I haven't posted in here in a long time but I have popped in at times to see what others have posted. I had a goal of a sub-2 HM and I actually met it yesterday! Previous PR was 2:03:27 so I thought sub-2 was achievable. However, my last month of training stunk and I felt like I was getting slower not faster. But I pulled it out yesterday and finished in 1:56:49. Granted, it was a very flat course at the beach so that helped a lot Smile

There have been some impressive runs in this forum, keep up the good work everyone!

Allyson
                  bluerun

Super B****

pcaharrier -- that's a good indicator, if you ask me -- was it a race or a time trial?  Because I'm always impressed when a time trial effort approaches a race effort.

gosling -- the finish time isn't always indicative of the effort involved in the race; maybe you didn't go sub-2:00, but it's definitely a race of which you can be proud.

doctorjen -- no idea how I managed it... I'm mentally deficient when it comes to applying sunscreen, it's not at all unusual for me to get weird burns like this.  And I don't think it's weird that your brain was ready to run the next day -- my brain is ALWAYS ready to run!

Zelanie -- hopefully the knee is behaving a bit by now!

stever -- it might not have been a PR, but that's still a great time!  I wouldn't mind it in my next race... and hooray for your DW finishing her first!

Jan26.2 -- sorry the race wasn't everything you would have wanted it to be, but for sub-par training, it's not bad, is it?!

miele -- congrats!  Can't wait for the full report.

Wolf -- OUCH!!  That doesn't look like it feels too good.  Heal up fast!  (Also, really, what is the deal with cyclists ignoring injured people?  When I crashed and broke my hip, the cyclists WHO WERE AT FAULT just kept going.  Geez.)

CeeDotA, amn77 -- congrats on the sub-2:00!

me -- I'm FINALLY going to see my PT today, and I'm getting a sports massage tomorrow.  So if my shins think they hurt now, oh, they have no idea what's coming.  I think I'm done with non-AlterG runs until the race.  It's probably in my head, because that does happen a lot, but my pelvis felt kind of weird during my run yesterday, and since I've fractured it so many times, I don't mess around with that, even if it IS just me being paranoid.  I often wonder what I might be able to do performance-wise if I could train like a normal person instead of a china doll, but oh well.  My knee is still not back to normal -- I've had plenty of sunburns before, and if it's bad enough to blister, it usually happens within 48 hours.  This time it took more than three days.  I'm rather sick of it.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

hectortrojan

Pcaharrier – congratulations! You are super quick!

Npaden – very impressive streak of 114 days and 909 miles. Congratulations! You are very consistent and hard worker. It exciting that you are going into taper now. I am sure that you will feel very fresh and finish your first marathon under 3:50.

Gosling – you did an awesome job in giving everything you had during the race.

Wolfwalker23 – how long would it take to finish 22 miles long run?  I hope that you can register for the race. If not, I like your idea of running on the local path for 26.2. your bloody knee doesn’t look good, but good to hear that you are doing well.

Doctorjen – good to hear that you are recovering well from the race.

Zelanie – I am sorry that your knee is still bothering you. Good job in taking rest and not trying to run and make it worse. Congratulations in getting 5k under your goal pace! Good to know that you are moving forward as per the plan.

stever1966 – congratulation in getting the PR in this particular race. Congratulations to your wife in finishing first HM!

Jan26.2 – long run was great. Had an awesome time and foot behavedSmile I am glad that you and your husband were able to run the race and he was feeling ok. It is annoying when race doesn’t start accordingly the pacing groups. It is no fun in passing a bunch of runners and being passed by a bunch of runners. Especially in 5 mile race. It is pretty funny that you forgot about your pain and decided to push when a woman with the stroller was passing you. I would have done the same! I am sorry that you are still feeling the pain. I hope it goes away soon. Congratulations in getting 3rd in the AG!

Miele - Congratulation in running the HM in 1:51:18! you did an awesome job regardless how were feeling for last few weeks. Looking forward to full race report.

Bluerun – I hope your visit is PT and you feel normal soon.

Me – I didn’t have 3 hour long run since February and was looking forward to Saturday. Had a 3 hour long run and enjoyed every minute of it.  Ran for 32 miles for the week.

miele

Godzilla

Nathan-  Less than a week!   I don't know why I get so excited for other people's races.......but I do.

gosling-  What can I say?  That was a tremendous effort!  Congratulations!  Heal up and you'll get your sub-2, I have no doubt.  As I was reading your post I was thinking, 'Hills and shin pain don't mix'.   Try not to be too disappointed.  You didn't give up and you powered through.

Wolfie-  So sorry you fell!  I think we've all done it (if that makes you feel any better).  Not fun.  My first thought was, 'great, he finally slows down a little and he pulled/strained/twisted something'.  Fortunately, skin grows back faster than a strain heals.  So there's that.  And I clicked on the photo and YUCK!  Then I realized that's the couch behind your leg.  I thought your leg had been horribly mangled.  After that the injury didn't look nearly so bad.  Jerk cyclists.  Oh, and I wanted to mention, if you can raise the funds, Ojai is a nice, small marathon.  Downhill which can be tough in a different way but also fast.  I think it's now called Mountains2Beach.  It sells out fast, though.  It's in about six weeks.

docjen-  Lol!  Funny how legs have a mind of their own.  I don't know what to tell you about your upcoming marathon possibilities.  You'd have to start training again very soon if you ran one in Sept.  Would you be up to that?  You should find someone to chat with during a race who isn't running sub-8mm! I still can't believe you did that!  For me that would be like running 10k pace during a marathon.  Crazy. How was the trail run?

Zelanie-  How was the mile run?  I hope the knee felt better but I think it's a good idea to consult a sports doc.

Lurch-  Nice time trial!  Of course, you'd do even better in a race but that's a great indicator.  I think I'm up to page 30 in the Hansons book.  So far it makes sense to me and I'm looking forward to trying it.

stever-  Congratulations to you and your DW!!!  That's too bad about the congestion.  That can be very frustrating and I find it stressful from dodging people and I can never figure out why some people decide to cut in front of you to the point where you have to stutter step in order to avoid trampling them......there's obviously not enough space but that doesn't stop them.  I'm glad your DW is OK.  That would be scary.  Is she going to run another one?

Jan-  I somehow knew you guys were going to run the 5 mile race.  You and stever had some rough starts to your races!   I wish there was a video of you guys running the race because it does sound comedic.  You hunched over in pain, DH laughing uncontrollably, you getting pissed off, running hunched over, ultimately exacting revenge on the unsuspecting lady with the stroller (well done!).  The icing on the cake would have been had you tossed your cookies on the stroller at the end.  You missed that opportunity.  So what's up with that stomach pain?  Do you still hurt?  That's very strange and a bit disconcerting.  Congrats on your AG!  I think that's fantastic after what you've been through the past few weeks.

Cee-  Congratulations!  I was there, too!  So your chip time was 1:59:25, right?  Eugene is hillier and a I swear that final mile is all uphill. Ugh.  It was tough.  Are you doing CIM?  I'm over in the East Bay.

I've got to go now but I'll be back later to finish up.  I'll get around to an RR later.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

EdithRevisited

If you ask

I've been gone so long, it would take more time than I have for individual comments.  So...

AWESOME RACING RUNNERS!!!!!!!    EXCELLENT TRAINING RUNNERS!!!!   and I'm sorry for those hurting.

I must, however, comment to docjen as I am always wanting to give a shout for a trail run.  Hope you got to run it.

Me -  I only managed two runs in Florida, my 10 miler and a 7.25 miler.  I did do a lot of walking for two days, sightseeing, after we were all moved in.  Because I have a 10 miler race on May 5, I switched my LSR on Saturday and we ran our 20 miler.  I think we ran it in 3:40, chatting the whole time.  I did feel it was slower than what I can do, but it's my friends first marathon so she sets the pace.  If this is true, Lord willing, I may be able to get my goal of under 4:20.  Booked the hotel.  Heading out now for a 6 mile run.  

Happy Running.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                          • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                          • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

You Rang?

mielee, Zelane & Jan26.2 - Thanks!  I don't race very often.  My last 5k was in October, so the PR is kinda soft.  That being said, I wonder what would happen if I put a bib on?  Add race day excitement.  Maybe I'll find a 5k race for the last race sim on the plan.  the plan calls for a 25:00 5K.  One of the blessings of living in SoCal is that there is a 5k every weekend around here, so finding a race isn't a problem.  The curse of living in SoCal is that there are lots of very fast people that live here.  A sub 20:00 time is required to win an AG award, and the winner of my last 5K (Chapman Univ. 5k) posted a 14:58.

stever1966 - Your Race Report sounds like my last HM.  My wife and I participated together.  She's a lot slower than I am.  The only difference is that I stuck with my wife through the whole event.  Have fun with the FM training.

Wolfwalker 23 - OUCH!  I had a similar fall once when I ran with my dog.  I zigged, she zagged and I took a digger down the hill next to a railroad grade crossing.  As to the ever so helpful bikers, it seems that quebecois bikers behave the same way as SoCal bikers do.

amn77 - welcome to the sub 2:00 club.  Well Done!

Bluerun - Happy to read that you got into a PT.  I hope you can get to the bottom of your medical issues so you may run without fear of injury.

CeeDotA - By a mere five seconds, welcome to the sub 2:00 club. Well Done!

Me - SRD today.  Speedwork tomorrow.    I finished Hanson's book.  I'm not a very fast runner (at least not yet), but I am a fast reader.  Law school will do that to you.  I found that I understood it all.  It's good to know the underpinnings behind the plan I'm using.  It's also interesting to compare this kind of plan with other beginner plans.  Most beginner plans I've seen thus far are designed to take people from the starting line to the finish line.  No more no less.  Hanson's "beginner' plans have targeted paces which no beginner plan I've read in the past had.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

CeeDotA

Lurch, bluerun: Thank you!

amn77: Congratulations on the sub-2:00!

Miele: Thanks! How did you do yesterday? My chip time was actually 1:59:55. Just snuck in there! The 1:59:25 in my sig is actually my Garmin time. Didn't mean to put that in there -- need to replace it with my official time! Funny you should mention that final mile feeling like it's all uphill. My legs sure felt like it was! Once I climbed to the top of Franklin Blvd. and had the crowd on Agate St behind me, my legs found second life.

I may do CIM in the fall, but it's still a while to go before I decide. It's either that or the Seattle Half.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

gosling

pcaharrier - Great job! That is an awesome time and I doubt you'll have any trouble with your 10k goal.

Nathan - Taper time! So exciting, I can't wait to see how you do. Given your training I'm sure you are going to run an excellent race.

Wolfwalker - Ouch! Hope that knee heals up quickly. Glad you slowed it down a little, although :17 slower than PR pace doesn't sound all that slow to me!

docjen - I'm impressed with your recovery! I am still limping around and shedding tears when I look at stairs.

Zelanie - I'm sorry your knee is still bothering you, hopefully you can figure out what the problem is quickly and set it straight.

stever - Awesome job! Sounds like without the crowded start you would have PR'd or come very close. I'm glad your wife is ok, too, that must have been really scary. Good thing she had you there to calm her down as panicking certainly doesn't help breathing issues. Also glad your prerace stress test went mostly well, hoping the follow up is uneventful.

Jan - I was totally laughing picturing your race shenanigans. I say that's a pretty great time given what you both have dealt with the past several weeks.

miele - Congrats on the race! I think you should feel great about that time given how you were feeling the past couple weeks. I can't wait to read your RR.

blue - Hope things have been less stressful after returning from your vacation. How scary about the flight back! I don't do well with airplane mishaps, although I seem to have had my share of them. Is there a reason you are so prone to injury? I think I remember you mentioning multiple stress fractures a long time back.

hector - I had a weird foot bruising incident too. It was last year and I had a HUGE bruise on my foot (it actually hurt just to walk) but hadn't bumped it, banged it, or anything. It was so swollen that my brother (a PT) was worried it was fractured when he first saw it and did not believe me that I hadn't caused it some trauma. Strange!

Lurch - I think race simulations are always tough. At least for me, it's impossible to recreate the adrenaline when I'm all alone. Great job, and know that you would likely have done even better had it been a "real" race.

Edith - Nice that you got to run your 20 miler with a friend. I always love (rare) runs when I go with someone and we can chat the whole time.

amn77, CeeDotA - Congrats on your sub 2:00s!

Me - Well, as predicted, I am a hot mess after my race. SHOCKINGLY, after running in brand new socks (knee high compression for my shin) and absolutely waterlogged feet for 2 hours, I had only one teensy tiny blister. However, the rest of me has not fared as well. I felt strange starting right after the race, almost flu-like. Fever/chills/achey. I actually took my temp because I thought maybe I was getting sick and I've been running a low-grade fever, 99.5 or so. Not sure if it's just my body trying to heal or what...my appetite was also nonexistent. I think I ate less in the 48 hours after the race than I would on a normal day, and I was really only eating because I knew I should. Is this normal for having pushed so hard? My DH (who ran HS track) always teases me that I would be much faster runner if I could just learn to suffer. Lesson learned. New territory for me as I rarely go beyond "comfortably hard" for long.

I am also, obviously, just sore as hell. Debilitatingly, impossible to get up from sitting, stair-loathing sore. My son asked me to get a toy from under the couch today and I told him that if I got down on the floor, I would never get up again. I would be reading his bedtime story from the ground tonight, and maybe even tomorrow. I need to go make friends with my foam roller as I think I'm finally at a place tonight where I could actually maneuver it.

The good news is, I am really looking forward to going for a run. I think I need to do an easy, comfortable one just to restore my faith that they all aren't going to be as soul-crushing as the race was. Mostly it's going to be cross training for me though until the shin is all healed up.