Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Zelanie

Bluerun- I think that is a fantastic photo!  You look so cool and collected, and are seriously floating above the ground!  Buy it!

Npaden- Congrats on your 10 miler!  Those are some fantastic splits!   It sounds like your son has been bitten by the running bug too!

Edith- That bagel sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing! Smile  Was it the sort of race where they just hit a timer button every time somebody crosses the finish line, and then try to match it up with finishing order?  I ran one of those, and they actually had me listed as quite a bit faster  than I actually was, oops!  Congrats to you on the PR, and hope your brother gets his time corrected.

Wolfwalker- Sounds like a great hike!

Jan- This is "Leukotape", which seems to be specifically for knees.  Not sure if KT tape would do the same thing or not.  Good luck next week!  Hope Montana turns out to be better than you were expecting!

miele- If you really think it's a stress fracture, I hope that you can be patient and resist the urge to run.  That must be so difficult!

me- Finished my first 30-mile week since April, yay!  I wasn't planning to get up there this week, but everything was feeling great, and for whatever reason that number is a huge mental milestone for me as far as feeling recovered.  Next week I will take a cutback, just to be safe.

I just realized that I'm going to be out of town for the October HM I was hoping to run, but luckily I found one in November.  I think the extra time to prepare will be really helpful.  But the downside is that I don't know that I will know as many people as I would for the more popular and local one I was looking at.  And the weather could be iffy.  Still, I am really looking forward to having a race on the calendar!

blue-good that you finally got that result. You shouldn't have to go through hoops for it...

jan-Yup, it sure was a fun Spartan race. But could have gone without the knee injury.

miele-Hope the leg feels better and that its not a stress fracture. In karate. some people use a rolling pin (wooden!!) to pass over their shins and make them hard and without sensation. Kind of killing the nerves and hardening the bone. A bit extreme for me, but works for others. Or you can just whack a bag like 100 timer per leg each day.

npade-Great pic, and I think I shall call you Mr. Consistent. Those splits are spot on, great work.

me-Full week since the Spartan that I have not run ordone karate, besides lots of walking and some biking. Knee is not as swollen, but I dont have full bending, can go from straight leg to about 90° bend, before it starts to hurt. Sometimes, if I pivot too much by mistake, I get a sharp pain on the knee. Pray its not an ACL, MCL or any ligament. Have a PT visit next Monday, we'll see how it goes. Bummer, because this is my high mileage week for marathon training. Guess I will have to push it back another week or so.

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
      2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

bluerun

Super B****

Wolf -- that sounds like an awesome way to see fireworks!  I just turned on the TV... I went one year and that was enough for me!

Jan -- maybe you remembered why you wanted to run it while you were actually running it??  I hope you enjoyed it, either way!

miele -- sorry, but I'm laughing at the verbal picture you painted there!  Definitely should have gone with the fish head swim cap.  Those shoes are the adipure Gazelle (the men's version, since when I bought them they only had the women's version in black, and ... no.  Just no).  I LOVE them, but I don't think my feet can handle them for longer than four or five miles.  It's a fantastic 5K shoe, though.

Zelanie -- congrats on reaching 30 miles, that's awesome.  Hey, if you're finding alternate halfs, want to find me one?!  The date for the perfect one I had chosen was changed.  (It really was perfect -- nice and flat and not too far away.)  Running a half the day after Yom Kippur is not a good idea, because it's pretty much guaranteed to suck, so now I have to find another one.  Boo.

stever -- good luck with the PT.  Hope it's nothing too serious.

me -- I sure hope this humidity is breaking.  I ran 7.5 yesterday and I was dying.  I have no idea how I managed to run a 5K PR in more humid conditions than yesterday's, but I'm doing a 10K next weekend as part of a tri relay, and it will be later in the day since I have to wait for my swimmer and cyclist to finish.  If the weather isn't somewhat cooperative, I will not be happy!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Blue - I think your photo is great!  You really look like you're running effortlessly.  My 4 mile race didn't have chip timing.  I sent an email, but it came back as "undeliverable" and I'm really confused because it was to the town borough!  Now I'm going to have to call... Grrrrrrrrr.   I can't figure out the racing vs running in the heat thing.  I was struggling on my run Saturday to stay at 9:30m/m.  Ugh.

Wolf - actually, my race was a 4 miler so it's about an 11 second improvement.   The firework show sounds incredible from where you were. I avoid firework shows because I don't like crowds of people.   Next year you should film it.  I would love to see the show!!

Jan -  my race had no chip timing... I'm not sure who they use to time the race.  I'm so annoyed.  I'm sure you will have a great run at the half.  I would love to run in Montana.  Maybe someday.  I'm trying to do halfs in as many states as I can, as of now they've all been on the east coast.  It's funny that you are loving the heat.  I don't like it at all. I prefer cold temps.

Miele -  I, too, need to buy waterproof mascara.  After the July 4 race, pouring water in my face, and sweating like a banshee (I think, though I'm not quite sure what a banshee is, and if they do, indeed, sweat) I was blinded after the race and had to ask the hotdog cart for a few napkins to wipe my eyes.    I'm thinking that both paden and blue posted such awesome pics that you, my dear, must post a photo as well, haha.   Get the fish hat.  And make fish faces while you swog (my new word for swim and jog...or should it be swun?).   And as for running, be patient, but if you can't be patient, be smart.  Go to a track and run lightly for 2-3 miles if you can.  See how it feels.    Oh, and for the training plan.... Don't laugh... I found one online,  on about.com.  It's an 18 week plan, I liked the workouts, and it has two 20 milers.   And it's free.

Zelanie - nice that you found a half to run.  There's certainly nothing wrong with having a few extra weeks to train.

Me -  I ran 8 miles on Saturday, on heavy legs.  Then went to the track yesterday and ran 5.  Didn't really do a speed workout because the sun was just too strong.  It was more about running in the strong heat, bright sun conditioning,  I'm heading out for 6 miles today, an easy 4 tomorrow, then 10 on Weds.  Then nothing much (maybe 2-3 on Sat) until race on Sunday.  15k with 33 hills.  Yes, someone counted.  It's going to be hhhhaaaaarrrrrrrddddddd.

question for all - thoughts on running the day before a race?

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
          • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
          • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

Happy Belated 4th everyone....

Miele - I love the picture you painted re: your aqua workouts...You must post a pic...

Blue - Congrats on the PR - and the very awesome photo - glad to see you enjoy adidas too - - I need new kicks and may try another model - What half do you want to run in the fall?

Zelanie - glad to hear the knee is behaving.....which half are you planning on running?

Steve - Fingers crossed for your PT appt......how bad is the pain now?

Edith - Congrats on the PR - sorry about the timing snafu.  That's the thing...I don't know whether or not I have time to train.  I work full time, have two small kids, coach one boys travel soccer team, volunteer on the school board etc....training for a half is manageable with all the other commitments - but I don't know if I can swing a full.

Nathan - GREAT RACE!  And I love the picture with your son!

Wolf- Nice way to watch the fireworks!  We watch them from inside the car because they're too noisy for my younger guy :-)

me - So I ran the local 5 miler and posted a 35:51 - was pleased as it was scorching hot and humid.  Won my AG, but was blown away by the man who won the 30-39 AG  - while pushing a jogging stroller!!   - - I did a 13 miler yesterday with my running group - felt good but still not convinced that I will commit to a full marathon in the fall.....I've given myself until July 15th to decide.

Ready, go.

pcaharrier

TaraC - Congrats on beating the heat and everyone in your AG! Anything in particular holding you back from committing to a full marathon?

Edith - I think running the day before a race really depends on the situation.  I didn't run the day before either of my last two races although I had planned to do so.  We were staying at a hotel the day before my half marathon back in February and (in addition to not really knowing where I could safely get run) I wanted to spend that time with the family and get some rest.  I was sick the week leading up to my 10k back in May and didn't make any of my runs that week.  In any event, I think a short, easy run the day before a race is probably a good thing.  I know a lot of folks tend to build up nervous energy in that last week or two and shaking out the legs just a bit is probably a good idea.

I've been really inactive here lately and I'll do my best to catch up.  After my 10k I had a lull before I wanted to start my marathon program; I mostly stuck to easy runs over the last month or so.  The last week in June I took a short vacation and took the week off from running.  Now I'm in the first week of my marathon training plan (courtesy of the Hansons!).  It's just easy running this first week, but it feels good to get back into something a little more structured with a goal at the end.

npaden

Okay, the pictures are up on the club website and I just had to share this one.  Thought it was pretty good.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden-great to see those little runners out there. Good job!

tara-the knee is getting better, but I have limited bending past about 100°. It starts to get painful behind the knee if I over bend. Walking is good, the knee feels stableBig grin but sometimes if I twist it too mu, I get a sharp pain right at the joint. Haven't ran since June 30 or even attempted karate since then as well. Keep my fingers crossed that nothing is torn, and is just a big ol bad bruise.

Steve

Zelanie

Stever- Oh no!  Hopefully it is just a bruise and the rest will take care of it.  Glad you already have a PT visit scheduled!

Bluerun- The October HM I was looking at also had its date changes, that's why I needed to find another one.  Good luck on your 10K this weekend!

Edith- 33 hills?  At least that means none of them can be too long, right?  Hope you have a great time!

Tara- Congrats on the AG win!  I'm thinking of running this half.

pcaharrier- Hope your training cycle goes well!

npaden- Love the photo!  He just looks so focused!

me- Going to meet a friend for a trail run later today.  It will be only my second trail run, although I have hiked quite a bit in the area.

Hey everyone,

Not much happening here. Ran 10 miles on Sunday ( 8.22pace) and 5.6 last night (7.31pace).  Probably will run half marathon distance Sunday, nothing official and probably not for P.R. time. We will see though. I will get to personals later tonight or tomorrow. Until then, stay cool everyone and run hard.!.!.!.!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

miele

Godzilla

Zelanie-  Nice mileage!  I know you're feeling good about that.  As you should.  All the parts must be feeling fine which is great!  How was the trail run?  Too bad about your planned HM but is sounds like you have a solid backup.   And I'm resisting the urge to run.  Actually it's not that hard to do since I told myself initially that I wouldn't run for at least 4 weeks.   I'm just glad my leg feels better so I have no problem waiting a little while longer.

stever-  Are you kidding me?!?!  A rolling pin?!?!  Who came up with that crazy method?  I'd never heard of that but all I can say is.....that's nuts.    I'm really hoping your knee just needs a little down time and it's not something major.

blue-  Why is it that, a lot of times, women's shoes come in unattractive colors?  I've gotten the men's version plenty of times just because of the color.   I'll keep an eye out for the Gazelle and try it on just to compare the feel to the Kinvara.  Although I'm done with shoe buying (she says yet again).  My closet runneth over with back up shoes.  Having said that, I can't pass up a deal.......

Edith-  I've heard of screaming like a banshee but sweating?  I dunno about that one.  And I have no idea what a banshee is, either.  (off to check google).  Banshee- a female spirit in Irish mythology.  Usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the otherworld.  She begins to wail if someone is about to die.  Well, that's kind of depressing.  No mention of sweating, though.   No pics of me, especially while swogging (LOL!).  I'm shy.  I'm being patient.  No running.  I've only got one more week anyway before the 4 weeks are up.  Then I'll do like you say and go to the track.  No way would I laugh at your program.  I'm sure the weekly mileage will support the 20 milers and that's the most important.  Is there speedwork involved?  About running the day before a race:  I've done it both ways but I think I prefer running the day before.  I'm talking 3 very easy miles with some strides thrown in.  I forget the details but running the day before is supposed to help your blood volume.  There's no way for me to tell if these runs have helped or hurt the actual race but the psychological effect is a positive one for me.   Good luck in the oh sh*t race!  I think you'll beat your time from last year.

Tara-  Congrats on a great race and AG win!!!!  I know that guy with the stroller.  He's obnoxious.  There's one in almost every 10k I run and he passes me every time.  The twerp.  Would your DH also sign up for the marathon?  One could watch the kids while the other got their run in and vice versa.  Not ideal since I'm sure you would like to train together.  I know docjen has a full plate and still managed to run some crazy mileage.   I think she made good use of the TM.  Anyway, you've still got some time to decide.

pc-  I'm looking forward to hearing about your Hanson's training.  If all goes well with my leg, I hope to start training the beginning of August.  I might have to downgrade to the beginner's plan, though.

Nathan-  Look at him go!  It's nice to see kids being active (never understood how kids could be so inactive).

Wolf-  Enjoy the running.  You definitely are better at acclimating to the conditions than I am.  I have no problem not running during triple digit temps.

Jan-  Good luck and have fun in Missoula!

me-  I might take the day off today but I'll see how I feel this afternoon.  I'm still swogging and yesterday I did manage to go to a spin class.  I was very good in that I didn't stand (ok, I stood a few times just to give my butt a break.  I forgot how hard that seat is.  But I stood and went very slowly without tension and not for very long).  I didn't add a lot of tension but rather went for a fast turnover.  Leg feels fine (yay!).  After that I hit the pool for about 45 minutes.  Tomorrow I hope to do another spin class.  I might allow myself to stand a little more during the 'hills' but still without a lot of tension.   I was in such a rush yesterday that I forgot to tape up the leg but it all worked out just fine.  I'm contemplating a froyo later.   Mmmmm.  Froyo.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

Jan26.2

Miele - Froyo! It's been known to cure everything. I'm glad you're feeling good enough to want to run, and I think it's a wise decision to wait the full 4 weeks. Good job on the spin class and swimming.

Wolf - You got some good runs in. Good luck with the half on Sunday.

Zelanie - Yay for the train run! Your knee must be feeling tons better.

stever - My fingers are crossed that your knee is just bruised. Is it next Monday (the 15th) that you see the PT?

pcaharrier - Welcome to marathon training! I'm interested to see how you like the Hansons plan. I know a few people who have used it and they did great with it.

Tara - Ugh! Jogging stroller guy. Like miele said, he's in every race. He also has a wife who shows up pretty frequently. When I got the horrible stomach pains during my last 5 mile race I was running bent over and clutching my stomach because a woman pushing a stroller passed me. Congrats on winning your AG!

Edith - 33 hills? Really? Holy crap - that's gonna hurt. But you're going to kick some hilly a$$ and do great. Can't wait to hear about it.

blue - Good luck with the tri this weekend. I love the heat (ya, I'm weird) but humidity kills me. Today it was 59% here and I was whining.

Me - Just finished packing for Missoula. We leave tomorrow around noon - if DH gets his butt home from work on time. For some reason I don't feel very prepared for this one, although we've been getting in decent mileage and our long runs have been between 10-14 miles and have gone well. The race starts at 6 a.m. and it's supposed to be around 50 degrees. My friend who used to live there said it'll be more like mid 40s but should warm up quickly. I hope so, cause being cold during a race in the middle of July doesn't sound like much fun to me. Everyone have a great weekend and happy running!

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

miele-yes, rolling pins. I have witnessed this. This guy wen to the world championships a few years ago, and made it to the quarter finals. Very impressive. In karate, the shins are the most bruised and painful injuries. Black eye

jan-Monday the 15th, is my second visit. I have increased flexibility in my knee, walking is limp-free and I even rode my bike a few times last week. Have been doing lots of walking and am tempted to go on a short, slow run tonight. If I can do a 1-2 k without problems, I'll be happy.

Steve

Bluerun: congrats on the 5K PR. I have a bucket list of places I would like to run, and Roosevelt Island is one of them (this may surprise you, but the list is very long, as I hope to have lots of years left!). I believe there is a 10K some time in the Fall, or I'll just go one weekend and run the perimeter.

Npaden: nice photo. Is the one with the US flag on his shirt your son?

Jan: running in 50 degrees sounds like paradise to me (and for most people in NJ at the moment) Gnats are really agressive at the moment as well

Miele: patience with the rehab. Start too early, and you'll have to start all over again

Stever: hope the knee recovery continues to progress nicely

Me: Hurrah! Overcast skies and continuous thin drizzle this morning for my long run. I love that weather, it's just wonderful. Managed to reach my goal of 15 miles for the first time in many weeks, and at a reasonable pace of 9:45 (all recents attempts have bee aborted around mile 11/12 and a pace of 10.00+)

During the week, I did a pyramid 400-800-1200-1600-1200-800-400. I have previously jogged between intervals, but here I walked to full recovery, and I find as a result the speed training was of better quality. Anecdote that may make some chuckle: there was a real downpour halfway through the session; I actually love running in the rain, so I continued happy as can be. After a while, I see there is a car on the parking lot opposite the track with headlights on that is blowing its horn; I continue thinking nothing more of it. A little while after the rain stops, I see my daughter approaching with a bath towel. Isn't that cute? I explained that it was a really nice thought, and gave her a big hug (which she moderately apprecaited as I was soaking wet), but then explained it wasn't necessary, although greatly appreciatred regardless.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Jan26.2 =  Sounds like you have some COOOOOL weather to race in!  I would love some of that, good luck out there Smile

Miele = How is your recovery going?  I hope that aqua jogging is making a difference. I always wanted to try it, I am thinking of ways to make a home made noodle type belt or something.  Any ideas?

Zelanie : Nice to see you choosing races.  You recovered quick, and now ready to go. It is amazing how the body works.  How was the trail run?

stever : Wish you luck on the doc visit.  Lets hope he clears you for Karate and running. If not, show him what a flying kick looks like LOL

Pca - Welcome back,  which Hanson plan are you running this time?  I ran something like a Hanson plan last marathon and it seemed to get me very close to my goal. I am looking to stay with the same type of plan but making a couple adjustments.

Tara = Sweet Pace for the 5 miler!!!  Almost broke 7:00minmile.Freaking awesome!!  I am still voting for you to try a marathon.  I think it should be mandatory for everyone in their life to run a mara. The world would be such a nicer place LOL

Edith : Good luck tomorrow. It sounds like you will be lost in those hills.  I really need to get in some hill training this training cycle.  Any pointers??

Me : I am ready for my half-mara tomorrow.  I made a new route with less hills and traffic lights and more time on the dirt path instead of the street.  My PR for the half = 1:42.28 which was 7:47minmile pace.  I am not sure I can hold that pace right now in this weather but I am giving it my best shot.  My runs this week were all sub 8minmiles. My 8 miler 2 days ago was 7:58.  I will see what happens out there.  I have taken 2 days in a row to rest up for it, so I should be healed and re-charged. Time to start the carb load!!  Have a great weekend everyone and good luck to the racers tomorrow morning Smile

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34