Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

EdithRevisited

If you ask

Miele - I, too, am boycotting Dominos, though I never get their pizza either.  My bro was told he could buy water for a dollar.  We went across a very busy street to another pizza place and they filled his bottle, np.   I sure hope your leg is getting better.  Stupid injuries, stupid pains, stupid, annoying running, haha.

Nathan - if I was a betting person, which I'm not, I would put my money on you nailing your goal pace!  Good luck!

Zelanie -  nice track work... You're lucky to have someone to do it with.   Keep up the good work!

Jan - congrats on a great race (Bring back the dancing banana!).   I hope the school year goes well for you.  I am with 5th grade which will be a complete change from high school.  I think it will be fun.    I'm wondering if the stitch is connected to the weather?  Humidity takes such a toll on us when running, the body working so hard to cool the core...

Blue - hope all is well.   I don't care much for my birthday, either, but just use it as a reason to buy yourself something sweet.  Cake and new running gear always makes me happy.

Me -  holy humid 5k, batman!   I ran the 5k race on Weds night.  I was happy to see the chip timer on the bib so decided to start a bit back from the starting line.  This race has many  students as the local high schools do their time trials for soccer, field hockey, and of course, cross country.  I figured to let them all start out fast (as most do) and avoid the mad rush.  Anyway, it was humid, but I managed a PR of 24:21.  My pace was about 7:30, 7:40, 8:04 or so.  So I got slower, but I really don't know how to effectively run 5ks.  I was majorly annoyed to see that the race director posted the CLOCK times for the official times. Wth???   So the results list me at 24:28. ugh!!    My marathon training is in a handbasket, basically, so I hope I can salvage it.  Supposed to run 18 soon, but have half marathon this coming weekend.   I really need to re-focus my efforts.  The plan is to get through this half and then commit to a work/training routine now that summer is over and mom is heading back to Florida...

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
    • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
    • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

You Rang?

Greetings all.  I'm back from the Disneyland Half Marathon and the sub 2:00 half marathon is a goal that I have yet to attain.  On a hot, humid and otherwise awful environment to run in, I ran a 2:18:25.  That's a new PR for me.  The Disneyland Half race report is up over in the beginners and beyond board.

My next half is the Zion Half in Utah in March of 2014.  It's at 3800 feet MSL and is uphill.  I also may run the Surf City Half in February here in my hometown of Huntington Beach with a group from church.  It is flat as a pancake and at sea level.

But for now, i start training for my first full marathon:  The Walt Disney World Marathon in January 2014.  I foresee lots of long, slow mileage in my future.  I'm also trying to shed the last 20 lb. so I can be as svelte as Zelanie.

I promise to stick around in this group even though I'm not racing a half anytime soon.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Hey everyone. It was a hectic week but good for running.

Miele - School starts on the 20th for me. Less than 3 weeks woohoo!

Blue and Zelanie - When I was running 5 days a week I had two injuries in short time and never felt like I was healing up. With the 4 days a week thing, the runs are always long but I feel so much healthier. Might not work for some, but for me, I am liking it Smile

Edith, congrats on the PR. Keep on the grind and you will crush the 5k again. Good luck on the upcoming 1/2.

Lurch! Glad to see you back. I was asking about you a couple weeks ago. I might be doing some training down by the beach in the next couple months as well.  Maybe we can do some long runs on the boardwalk or something.

Me = 41.7 mile week for me. All my avg. paces were 7.42 or less, I was really pushing it! 5.6miles 8m 13.1m and a 15miler.

I got a new phone and it has a gps runkeeper app on it so I have been playing with it. I just found the mile splits screen and was pretty jazzed to finally see some of my data after a year of just a 10 dollar watch.  The half marathon I ran on Friday was a cut-down exercise. Trying to lower my pace each mile. I did this for 6.55 miles and then on the way back, kind of tried to repeat the same paces as the first 6.55. The last half of the run was really tough. I had one or two miles where I was resting a bit and slowed down, and somewhere in there I ran to the bushes to uh... water them Smile

ok here it is :

mile1 = 8.10   mile2 = 8.00   mile3 = 7.48   mile4 = 7.43   mile5 = 8.04   mile6=7.32   mile 6.55 = 6.53

mile7 = 8.28   mile8 = 7.51   mile9 = 7.30  mile10=7.57   mile11=7.22  mile12= 8.01 mile 13.1 = 7.27

Total distance 13.1 / Time (1hr41mns01sec) / Avg pace 7.42

I think this week will be a mirror of last week minus that cut down on my half mara.  I want to pick a new route for the half and just run it normal. Ok, cya guys soon. I will be checking in more.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

bluerun

Super B****

Zelanie -- hooray for a good track workout!  I always thought I'd hate that kind of thing, but I think they're growing on me a bit.

npaden -- if you're hitting your paces on the workouts, that's a good sign, wouldn't you say??

miele -- sorry your leg is misbehaving!  My shin splints have been really good lately (knock on wood, indeed), but I think that's just because I traded up for ITBS.  Not a recommended practice, really!

Edith -- pass on the cake, haven't had a birthday cake in over ten years!  New running shoes, though?  Sign me up!  (I counted how many pairs of running shoes I have in active rotation.  Let's just say that if anyone needs me... I'll be in rehab.)  I hate it when races use clock time as your official time!!  I actually think that's the way you're supposed to do it per USATF rules, but still.  Congrats on the PR, in any case.

Wolf -- hey, I'm on the four-day-a-week bandwagon, too... I need to be, since I can't run on consecutive days!  (I do Sunday and Monday, but Monday is on the AlterG so it doesn't really "count.")  That's actually a rather interesting way to run a half... I like perfectly negative splits, but I wonder if this way might yield a faster overall time?  Hmm.

me -- well, I'm sure glad I did the 10K last week instead of this week!  I volunteered at the Labor Day 5K/10K yesterday, and there was a truck fire on the bridge, so the course was modified... and nobody but the very fastest runners got to run the full 10K.  However, the first female 5K finisher ran 23:32.  That's slower than my 5K PR!!  I could have technically won that race.  (Yeah, the weather was horribly humid and disgusting, but it was like that on July 4th too -- when I set my PR on this exact same course.  Grrr.)

I did 8x20 second pickups today -- I did that last week with a 1.5 mile warmup and cooldown (each), but this time I did the full workout (2 miles each).  I also ran those pickups way, way faster than I have any business running, ever, because I met someone I know at the track and we were running them together, and he is a bit of a speed demon.  But me?  Yeah, there's no reason for me to run a sub-6:00 pace in any situation, even if only for twenty seconds.  Eesh.  My knee is still kind of iffy... I had ASTYM last week, and it did help a lot, but it's still not completely pain-free to go down stairs.  I have PT later today, so hopefully we can get rid of the last of it.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

You Rang?

Wolfwalker - I'd be happy to run with you. I'm moving to a new (to me) condo that is a few blocks from the Huntington Beach Pier.  Let me know when you want to run and how far you want to go.  The path along the beach stretches for miles and miles and there's a toilet and water fountain every 1/4 mile

As to runkeeper, I've been looking at running data from the outset of my two year old running career.  I started with Nike Plus and then my wife got me a Garmin watch for Christmas two years ago.  At my last half marathon, I ran with a pacer, and it was refreshing not to have to think about timing, and not to have to stare at the watch and read all the data it displays..  I think next time I'll get one of the pace bands, and change my Garmin display so that it displays my chip time only.

Rick 

npaden

Still logging the miles.  Nothing too exciting.  Got a little mini streak going.  26 days and 183.5 miles for a 7.1 daily average.  54.5 miles this past week and a 14 miler which was the longest run since my marathon back in May.  190 miles for the month of August.  Less than 2 weeks before my goal 10K.

Edith - good job on the 5K!  Congrats on a PR!  That does stink about the clock time vs. chip time, but the way the start goes on some of those races with a bunch of kids you might have used up so much energy ducking and dodging them at the start that you probably still made the best choice.

Wolfwalker - Every run was under an 8:00 pace?  Including the 15 miler?  That's beyond race effort for me.  The only time I get below an 8:00 pace for an entire run is during actual races and then it is only for shorter ones.  If I run a half marathon at the end of the month, my goal pace is going to be sub 8:00, but just barely.

Lurch - good to see you around.  Sorry you missed on your latest attempt at sub 2, but for sure understand in hot and humid conditions.  You need to line up a nice easy half in good weather and go for it.  Sounds like that Huntington Beach one might be the ticket.

That's about it from my end.  Hope everyone has a great week.  Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

CT JEFF

HI ALL - Sunday I ran my first 13.1 Barefoot. Smile It turned out to be my fastest time so far. Great weather. 72-75 degrees. Recently rained, humid when the sun came out, but it didnt often. I had my Garmin, but planned to run by feel. And it felt pretty good. Most recent LSD was 11.3, and that included some walk recovery in the middle. My HM race isnt until 9/28. Not sure if I'll use my brand new minimalist Mizunos, or go barefooting. Both have their attractions. Anyway- Sunday was my PR for HM distance. 2:10. :*( so close. That comes out to 9:56pace. I guess I need about 9:22 to hit Sub 2:00. A couple more weeks to get some good training in.

EDITH - great race. Nice speed! My recent 5K my PR was 25:42! And my chip time didnt record, they only did gun times.

LURCH - great run. Im going to read your RR after this post. 2:18 is decent with heat and humidity. My (only) HM was 2:14 because of H&H. I also recently lost 25#, but am working on losing the next 25#. I still wont be svelt, but I'll be closer. Wink P.S. Im doing the WDW Tower of Terror 10 miler in 1 month ! ! WOO HOO ! ! P.P.S those are some great destination races you are doing. Pretty cool.

BLUERUN yes, I have hearsd that USTAF uses Gun time for the qualifying times. Or was that Boston? Anyway, its something to keep in mind, especcially if trying to BQ. - you and WOLFWALKER sure are fast.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Miele: the race for next year is in Sunderland. Apparently, they haven't fixed the date yet....

BlueRun: don't know if you were there, but the RI 10K was interrupted  at mile 3 due to a truck on fire on the 59th St Bridge. Not too disappointed, as it was clearly not going to be the day to break my PR. A 15-mile long run 2 days before was not really ideal preparation...

Heat and humidity have been back the last few days, can't say I missed either of them. Really doesn't suit my genes!

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

You Rang?

Nathan - One of the things I have concluded is that I need to race more and not less.  I used to race once a quarter or so.  Now with the exception of December, I've got a race every month.

Jeff CT - Disney races are fun.  I've never done Tower of Terror.  If you are going to run a Disney race barefoot, you might need to take a copy of USTAF rule 143.3(a) with you.  I've got a buddy who ran the Disneyland Half Marathon barefoot and clueless race officials asked him to put shoes on more than once.

Rick 

miele

Godzilla

Popping in to wish Edith a great HM!  Have a fantastic time!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

CT JEFF

Jeff CT - Disney races are fun.  I've never done Tower of Terror.  If you are going to run a Disney race barefoot, you might need to take a copy of USTAF rule 143.3(a) with you.  I've got a buddy who ran the Disneyland Half Marathon barefoot and clueless race officials asked him to put shoes on more than once.

Lurch - Thank you very much! I imagined it could be an issue. Additionally, the race ends with a Disney Hollywood Villians Party, and I considered the possibility they wouldnt want me walking around barefoot there. So I have been toying with the idea of a backpack or something to carry a change of clothes and a pair of flip flops. Its really amazing how freaked out people get about bare feet, but flip flops? oh - thats ok. why?

Disney Villains Hollywood Bash

Saturday, October 5 - Sunday October 6, 2013

10:00 p.m. – 4:00 a.m.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Jeff :  Keep grinding that half marathon. you are so close, it won't be long to get the sub 2.  We are here cheering for you!!

edith, I hope you rock it tomorrow!! I look forward to hearing the RR!

Lurch, Soon as I get my school money (monday I hope ) I will be taking some trips down to the beach area.  I want to practice up at Manhattan beach but would be happy to hang out at huntington as well. I will let you know when I am available to come down.

Me :  This weeks has been ok, but REALLY hot.  Over 100 every day and at night barely getting below 83 or so.... It is pretty lame.  I have done most of my runs at midnight or around 3am this week.  I ran 16 miles yesterday and it felt pretty solid.  Tomorrow I will run a half marathon distance.  I probably won't be pushing too hard. I will be happy with something 1.40 - 1.45   Next week is hill training so I need to save a little bit for that.  Have a nice weekend everyone and I will be back to report on my HM time and experience.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

You Rang?

Jeff CT - Disney doesn't let barefoot people walk around its parks, so yes, once you cross the finish line, you should find some shoes.  Perhaps that's what the gear check bag is for!

I've been thinking about the whole goal of running a sub 2 half marathon, and have come to the conclusion that it is a pretty big deal.  Looking at the corral assignments for the Disneyland Half, a sub 2 half gets you into corral A. Disney's corral size is not uniform.  With Corral A consisting of the first 1312 bibs of a 13,000 entrant race, a sub 2 half marathon is in the top 10% of the field.  That's a pretty big deal to me.

Rick 

EdithRevisited

If you ask

The Bird-in-Hand half marathon is such an awesome event.   We drove to Lancaster County on Friday.  For those who don't know, this a a very heavily populated Amish community.  The event is held by the fire department, with much support from the Amish.  On Friday night they had a pasta/pizza/apple or shoo fly pie dinner for $11.  They also had a 5k race (runners who do both the 5k and the half get a special third shirt) AND a hot air balloon festival. It was so cool.   We had dinner (delish) and watched the balloons and the race.  The Amish runners run in their regular clothing and sneakers.  And MANY of them are amazingly fast!!

Saturday morning, we returned to the event for the half.  They had more than enough port-o-pots (who ever heard of such a thing?) with a mime there to entertain those waiting in line for the bathroom.  Too funny.

Well, the race was quite challenging, all up and down hills with very few flat areas.  The weather was perfect.  It was certainly a lovely place to run, past corn fields, farms, cows and horses.  The water stops were about every 2 miles; more than enough, which, again, is amazing.  The only real obstacles were the "road apples" (horse poop) that one sometimes had to avoid.

I was actually quite surprised that I was running so well, and felt pretty good.   I just ran the most comfortably hard pace that I could, hoping I wouldn't crash and burn...and I didn't.   I finished with a new PR of 1:52:27, 308/1277 total, 14/103 AG (5 years grouping), 8:35 m/m pace.    I'm thinking, Miele, that if I can find a flat half, I may finally break 1:50.

This was the most challenging half I've ever run; the last few miles I was worried that my calves were going to cramp on the hills bc I was certainly feeling them.   But I finished strong and smiling.   The medals were handmade by the locals, made with a horse shoe and very heavy, but still one of the coolest medals I now own.

Celebrated with my usual diet coke and crackers until 8 hours later when I really celebrated with a piece of shoo fly pie after dinner.  Can't wait to eat the whoopie pie, but that will wait until my longer run on Weds.

Still deciding if I will run the other half this Sunday.  Of course, if I do, I do not expect to run very well, but it is pretty flat...

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                              • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                              • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

npaden

Edith - Congrats.  Sounds like a great race and another PR for you.  On those tough ones, you just have to enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that the time is just one part of the equation.

miele - I thought you were running a 10K this weekend?  How did you do?

me - just 41.5 miles this week.  Hammered my intervals with an average pace of 6:52 on my 6 X 800's and ran that last one at a 6:26 pace.  My avg HR on the intervals was also the lowest it has been since I've been running them.  Fastest time, lowest HR, really feeling good about those now, hopefully it correlates to a 7:15 pace 10K!.  One week until my goal 10K, weather is looking good, 61 degrees and 8 mph winds.  I would take that in a heartbeat.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)