Realistic goal of running a 1/2 marathon in october, or better wait? (Read 803 times)

I have been running on and off for the last few years, but since February I started over again and have been running consistently since then.

Last week, I ran about 18 km/week, and this week it will probably be 20.  (The fact that I have been logging less km in April had to do to our mountain-hiking holiday during a week in Italy.)

Apart from my runs, I'm walking and hiking sometimes, distances between 15 and 20 km, sometimes more during holidays.

My long run this week will be about 10 km, and I really enjoy my runs, but at the same time I was searching for some 'goal'...

And just this morning, I read that small message on the intranet at work, that maybe we could have a team from our company for the Marathonday in the city were I work (Eindhoven, the Netherlands) on october 14th.

Would it be a realistic goal for this 48 years old, who's last race was ran in 1973?  Or should I better wait another year, and celebrate my 50th birthday with a 1/2 marathon?

Running in Belgium
    Ann

xor

You've made it up to a 20km week plus hiking.  You can run a 10k.

4 1/2 months to work up to a 21k run?

If you want to, do.  It is a worthy goal.

No problem; I say go for it.  Then celebrate your 50th with a 50k. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I think so

If you can work up to happily running 12-15km in the next 2 months it is just an extension of that really for a HM.  Not that I am that experienced but there are heaps of folk at my work that dont run at all that are aiming to run a HM in October

more than possible

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Thank you for the replies, I'll send my confirmation-mail today!

Running in Belgium
            Ann