home fitness machines (Read 573 times)

Life is Good

I am looking to buy a home weight machine for my family I am looking for something compact and easy to use, I am thinking about a bo-flex type, but there are so many different models out there I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions/suggestions.

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

I realize that this is merely anecdotal, but of the four or so people that have those type of machines - one of them stopped using it and joined the gym. The rest have an expensive clothes storage device. Another point would be the $1800 elliptical that we have upstairs. My wife used it for about a month and then joined the gym. Where she primarily uses ..... wait for it ..... the elliptical. So I guess the advice part of my post would be this: if you figure out approximately what you want, check craigslist or similar before springing for a new one. That way if it turns into a clothes rack or you join a gym - you haven't laid out as much cash. And if you do end up really using it, you will learn what you like and use and what you don't - thus making an upgrade process much simpler for you.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I use the low tech method. I have a huge set of hex dumbells, an incline bench, a good selection of medicine balls, some therabands and a exercise ball. I have an infinite variety of exercises with this set up, not including the ones I can do just using my body weight. (Of course, it does leave my living room looking a bit like a gym...but that's what people would expect from me any way). A heavy bag in the garage and a pair of gloves is also a lot of fun Smile

Prince of Fatness

I like the low tech idea, too. I was looking to start some weight training this summer, so I stopped at a fitness shop nearby. I got couple of dumbbell collars, and some plates that they were selling cheap. I think I got about 80 pounds. The hex dumbbells are nice but you are stuck with whatever they weigh. With plates you only have to buy one set of collars (although some would say changing the plates is a hassle). Anyway I think I paid about $35 for this setup, real cheap. I already had a homemade bench to use.

Not at it at all. 

protoplasm72

Another vote for a set of weights and a bench. You can do pretty much everything with free weights. They are cheap and don't break. I have some free weights at home that I use but honestly I lose motivation if I don't head to the gym for a workout. Start with the weights and see if you are going to actually use them or would it be better to get a family gym membership.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Life is Good

I definately plan on buying used...got a great treadmill that waythe machine is for my 14 yea rold son who has a small attic bedroom with minimum space, my Husband and older son want to use it too but the 14 year old is the one who wants it..I'm not wanting him to kill himself with a free wieght system as of yet, he plays football and baseball and already works out with a set of 20 lb dumbell weights and a pull-up bar. I'm just not sure what bo-flex system to get.. I need something kind of compact

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Queen of 3rd Place

Another vote for dumbbells and a bench. For traveling, bodyweight-based exercises. Arla

Ex runner