another pain (Read 549 times)

I haven't been running for quite a while because of my IT band, so I have been in the weight room using a stationary bike. All of a sudden, I have knee pain, but it's hard to point where the pain is coming from in the knee. This needs to go away because as soon as the summer starts, I have to begin training for cross country. Also, I tried to go for a run on Saturday, but my hip started to bother me somewhere inside the joint. It didn't hurt when I ran in place or jumped up and down. Any ideas?
    Eustace Tierney

YoYo

No idea! But just thought i'd post a reply as its nice to get some response.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

A lot of people get knee pain from biking because they are think they are getting a better workout by using a high gear/low cadence (they have to push more). You need to do just the opposite to protect your knees - high cadence/lower gear.

Giant Flaming Dork

I agree. Cadence should always be above 80rpm all the time, preferably above 90. I was out of commision last year because of this.

http://xkcd.com/621/

djtaylor

Also agree. I do a one hour ride on the stationary bike once a week with low-to-medium resistance, staying less than 75% MHR with a cadence between 105-110. The effort seems to work pretty well for me, as far as cross training goes.