Torn Meniscus Questions & Platelet Rich Plasma (Read 38 times)

tomatolover

Hi all:

I've been hobbled by knee pain for the last 2 months---sometimes really bad, other times unnoticeable except when I run at all or walk too much.  PT makes it worse (could be the PT??).  Finally saw a physiotherapist who was against surgery for the small tear I have and suggested more PT, omega 3's, Arnica gel, and if worse comes to worse, Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injection.  If you've had meniscus issues and have them heal on their own with PT or with PRP I'm curious about your thoughts.  (AKA is PRP a sham?)

thanks

SMART Approach

I work with orthopedic surgeons daily. IMO, I would lean more toward a proven knee pain treatment like hyaluronic  acid injections also known as a viscosupplement or knee lubricant. Do a series of 3-5 injections like Supartz, Hyalgan or Euflexxa. Stay away from a single injection product. Insurance is more likely to cover a viscosupplement especially if you have evidence of osteoarthritis. PRP is a bit more experimental especially in joints and unlikely to be covered. PRP is more useful in soft tissue injuries or tendonosis.

I am all for avoiding surgery, but if you have torn cartilage that is not improving with PT or time, surgery may be indicated. It is a routine arthroscopic surgery and if tear is minor, recovery will be pretty quick.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com