"I ran 938 miles in March" DoppleBock (Read 1336 times)

DoppleBock

If I got up at 4am - I could run 4:30-7:30 (3 hours) and still get to work before 8:00am 

I also keep a hair cut that requires no combing ... I tend to avg @ 3 minutes to shower ... But the biggest thing by far - Living really close ot work and being able to take time to run 50-60 minutes a day at lunch.  My boss is trained ... do not take me out to lunch unless there is a tur business need - If you are trying for employee relations / moral - let me run at lunch ... and he does.

It depends on your motivation.  Back in the day when I was pretending to be a runner, for me it meant getting up at 4am instead of 6am.  It was that easy.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I wouldn't be so quick to call someone's leisure pursuits "wasting time" just because they aren't something I personally value.  Some people enjoy watching TV.  It's easy to call that wasted time, but if they enjoy it, why should that offend me?  They may be sitting in front of the tube thinking we're all a bunch of stupid runners.  My running is not superior to someone's golf, NASCAR, or cat shows.  

That said, my 20 mpw suddenly seems really cute, in a training-wheels kinda way.  

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Feeling the growl again

I only needed 6hrs solid sleep to function.

Yeah, that wouldn't work for me.  Not with any significant training load, anyways.

When I was averaging 100+ mpw....with a lot of intensity added in, granted....I slept 10hrs/night, every night.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Turbolegs

Yeah, that wouldn't work for me.  Not with any significant training load, anyways.

When I was averaging 100+ mpw....with a lot of intensity added in, granted....I slept 10hrs/night, every night.

You have no idea how much of a dream that would be for me ... then again, i havent ever trained like this .. i will let you know in 5-7 years time (i intend to get to that level somewhere down the road if only to see whether i can take that sort of training).

At current levels of training, 6 hours is standard, 7 is a bonus.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Feeling the growl again

You have no idea how much of a dream that would be for me ... then again, i havent ever trained like this .. i will let you know in 5-7 years time (i intend to get to that level somewhere down the road if only to see whether i can take that sort of training).

At current levels of training, 6 hours is standard, 7 is a bonus.

Well, I couldn't train the way I used to know regardless of the amount of sleep.  Smile

Getting old is a five-letter word.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

I do not call anyones liesure pursuits a waste of time for them - I am only pointing out that if you pool all your liesure pursuit time into a bucket, there is more than enough time to run 2-3 hours aday for 90% or more of the people.  To me I do not see a lot of value watching TV.  I would rather play family board games or do some physical activity ... I definatley see value in social interaction.  I do think that the volume of TV people watch is absurd and from what I observe many people that are watching TV in the same room as their spouse or kids have zero engagement with them. 

I wouldn't be so quick to call someone's leisure pursuits "wasting time" just because they aren't something I personally value.  Some people enjoy watching TV.  It's easy to call that wasted time, but if they enjoy it, why should that offend me?  They may be sitting in front of the tube thinking we're all a bunch of stupid runners.  My running is not superior to someone's golf, NASCAR, or cat shows.  

That said, my 20 mpw suddenly seems really cute, in a training-wheels kinda way.  

DoppleBock

I am not sure when we went from a nation of doers to a nations of watchers? 

Feeling the growl again

I am not sure when we went from a nation of doers to a nations of watchers? 

Big grin

Well, for context, for most team sports, this is age 18 for 99.99% of athletes (football, basketball, baseball).  Running is actually pretty unique in the ability to continue to pursue it competitively at-will after high school absent really high-level performance.  This is probably why I gravitated to running and don't spend a lot of time following pro sport.

Turbolegs

I think the whole charm about running is that it is probably the most direct feedback of any sport in terms of the response to the effort you put in. That and the fact that its also possibly one of the most independent and versatile activities possible (any place, any time, minimal accessories etc etc). Hang on - did i just belabor the obvious? Cool

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step - Lao Tzu.

Turbolegs

Another couple of quotes which are relevant ..

My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I am too busy.
                      --John Bryant

You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face.
                      - Gatorade

It is true that speed kills. In distance running, it kills anyone who does not have it.
                      --Brooks Johnson

If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want -- Why? Because
                      (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume,
                      (b) you deserve it, and
                      (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway.
                      --Don Kardong

All from here.

Purdey

Self anointed title

If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want -- Why? Because
                        (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume,

This is not true for me.  I also remember DB saying that he can gain weight @ 140 mpw.

Julia1971

My eyes saw the number and didn't think much about it until my brain did the math.  30+ miles/day on average.  Pretty amazing.

As far as finding the time, when I ramped up my mileage a year or two ago, some of the things that helped me the most were probably 1) running to work once or twice a week, 2) purchasing Tivo so I could watch my favorite programs when I wanted rather than aimlessly channel surfing, and 3) purchasing at least 7 days worth of running clothes.  There is no bigger waste of time in my schedule than my commute.  Without that 45 minutes/day, mid-week medium runs over 10 miles would not have happened on a regular basis.  And, Tivo changed my life.  I watch maybe two or three commercial-less programs in the evening and then go to bed.  Weekends after a long run, it's even better because I can lay on the couch and watch hours and hours of programs I actually want to watch.  And, the clothes took away the "I'm out of running clothes" rude awakening in the mornings.  I have multiples of most of my gear, too.

But, I'm single and childless.  I would bet family commitments and the guilt of not spending time with spouse/children are the reason most people struggle to fit it in. 

ETA:  How could I forget the RunningAhead Training Plan?!  Best thing ever for someone trying to run more or more consistently.  I used to spend lots of time fussing over training schedules and I don't anymore.  I lock it in at the beginning of a cycle and pretty much rock and roll from there.  Thanks, Eric!  

Why is it sideways?

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings. In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be.

Now put the foundations under them.

--Thoreau 

This is not true for me.  I also remember DB saying that he can gain weight @ 140 mpw.

I can believe that. I find it impossible to drop much below 165 pounds -- my body just won't do it when I'm eating sensibly.

Big grin

Well, for context, for most team sports, this is age 18 for 99.99% of athletes (football, basketball, baseball).  Running is actually pretty unique in the ability to continue to pursue it competitively at-will after high school absent really high-level performance.  This is probably why I gravitated to running and don't spend a lot of time following pro sport.

So true. I've had this discussion with my son as this being one of the biggest benefits to being a runner. It's something you can do your entire life.  You don't need a court, a field, a group of other people, etc.  The irony here is that I see so many other guys my age that played all the other sports growing up, and insist they hated running, but it's running they turn to later in life when they realize the need to do something physical.